Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What happens with the perforrmance of the older apps, Pshop, Illu etc when running on an Intel iMac?

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
zoran said:
What happens with the perforrmance of the older apps, Pshop, Illu etc when running on an Intel iMac?

Steve Jobs demo'd MS Office and Photoshop, both of which were PPC apps running on Intel.

MS Office seemed to be very smooth - same kind of responsiveness as on my Mac mini. SJ opinioned that performance was good.

Photoshop took a few seconds to load and suffered some minor redraw lagging. He didn't try anything too compute intensive (such as applying a filter). Again I would say it was about the same responsiveness as on my Mac mini (judging from the video). SJ opinioned that it was acceptable for occasional use but not really appropriate for full-time professional work and I would agree. Just as you wouldn't want to use a Mac mini for professional Photoshop work, you probably wouldn't want to use the MacBook or iMac Core Duo just yet.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
ok the demo shows that thay work but do the work as fast as before intel macs? or will they be needing optimising?

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
They will need to be made universal binaries. The Microsoft lady on the Keynote said that it would be provided via free updates for MS Office and Messenger.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
In order to have them run you need software to emulate a G4 processor, it does take a speed toll. We don't know how much yet, no websites benchmarked it.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Basically by then more things should be available as universal binaries. Right now it's pretty much just Apple software, and not even Apple's pro apps.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
miloblithe said:
Basically by then more things should be available as universal binaries. Right now it's pretty much just Apple software, and not even Apple's pro apps.

then whats the use of apple shipping intel imacs,macbooks etc. if universal apps arent ready yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.