Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Dear Apple, I hope the new iPad 3 Air comes with 4 loud speakers like these or something similar that are on the new iPa Pro. The speaker on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus along with iPad mini are pretty Pathetic. Would be nice to be able to actually hear device when out in a park,at the beach or out in public some where. Instead of making device thinner it would be nice to get longer battery life and better speakers. The new Mini 4 should have come with these speakers but unfortunately it did not. Hopefully Apple will not disappoint us this time around when next iPad is released.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/huawei-mediapad-m2-hands-on

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Dear Apple, I hope the new iPad 3 Air comes with 4 loud speakers like these or something similar that are on the new iPa Pro. The speaker on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus along with iPad mini are pretty Pathetic. Would be nice to be able to actually hear device when out in a park,at the beach or out in public some where. Instead of making device thinner it would be nice to get longer battery life and better speakers. The new Mini 4 should have come with these speakers but unfortunately it did not. Hopefully Apple will not disappoint us this time around when next iPad is released.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/huawei-mediapad-m2-hands-on
All of these things exist... iPad pro, that is the latest iPad

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I don't think iPad Air will have 4 speakers, The body of air is much smaller than the pro, so there is not enough space for 4 speakers, without loosing too much battery.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I don't think iPad Air will have 4 speakers, The body of air is much smaller than the pro, so there is not enough space for 4 speakers, without loosing too much battery.

I'm pretty sure not much is going to change, so you should set yourself down for that. You have to keep in mind, the ONLY reason the mini and the air line have so much in common is because it literally is just a smaller screened version. The PRO is being marketed as a PROfessional device, it MUST have features that the other ipads do not have, period.

Everything you see on the pro now, will remain a pro exclusive, and you'll get updates to those exlusive things in the future. Better pen, new keyboards, upgraded surround sound, better display, etc. The air is going to turn into the mini essentially when it comes to updates. Bigger processor, more ram. there is NO way apple is going to take their PRO device, and give it's other devices the same features, that's not what they want, or are trying to do.

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Except you don't know that, only apple does.

"MacBook Pro" has a lot of the features the "air" has. PRO is just a name for MARKETING. Unless you work for apple you have zero evidence on that claims of yours.

I'm pretty sure not much is going to change, so you should set yourself down for that. You have to keep in mind, the ONLY reason the mini and the air line have so much in common is because it literally is just a smaller screened version. The PRO is being marketed as a PROfessional device, it MUST have features that the other ipads do not have, period.

Everything you see on the pro now, will remain a pro exclusive, and you'll get updates to those exlusive things in the future. Better pen, new keyboards, upgraded surround sound, better display, etc. The air is going to turn into the mini essentially when it comes to updates. Bigger processor, more ram. there is NO way apple is going to take their PRO device, and give it's other devices the same features, that's not what they want, or are trying to do.

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Except you don't know that, only apple does.

"MacBook Pro" has a lot of the features the "air" has. PRO is just a name for MARKETING. Unless you work for apple you have zero evidence on that claims of yours.

Wrong, the pro has features the air has because they are fundamental. The air never got the screen, it never got the processing power, it never got the ports, and it never got the speakers. It also got the screen size, not just the res. It was never able to upgrade the disk to the same sizes, never got the ram increases... their is a REASON it's called the pro, if the AIR were able to have the same features as the PRO, then the PRO would be useless. I don't need to work at apple to understand basic marketing.

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Wrong again.

Again you have zero basis besides the pro having that name

The reason is called "pro" is MARKETING.

Wrong, the pro has features the air has because they are fundamental. The air never got the screen, it never got the processing power, it never got the ports, and it never got the speakers. It also got the screen size, not just the res. It was never able to upgrade the disk to the same sizes, never got the ram increases... their is a REASON it's called the pro, if the AIR were able to have the same features as the PRO, then the PRO would be useless. I don't need to work at apple to understand basic marketing.

Reactions: Wando64

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Wrong again.

Again you have zero basis besides the pro having that name

The reason is called "pro" is MARKETING.
correct... they are MARKETING it to people who want a PRO device, that's why it's called a pro. Same reason the AIR is thin, it's MARKETING... I'm glad you agree with me :)

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
I don't agree with you that's the entire point of this discussion :rolleyes:

Lol nice straw man fallacy that's not what I say though. You are very naive if you think buying something labeled "pro" makes you one ;).

correct... they are MARKETING it to people who want a PRO device, that's why it's called a pro. Same reason the AIR is thin, it's MARKETING... I'm glad you agree with me :)

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I don't agree with you that's the entire point of this discussion :rolleyes:

Lol nice straw man fallacy. You are very naive if buying something labeled "pro" makes you one ;).
Well no, I purchased something because it had all the features of an "Ipad" that the OP said he wanted to see. I merely pointed out they already existed on the latest Ipad, so I wasn't sure what he was expecting. However, since you're so keen on calling it marketing, then that logic should dictate that because all the features people are wanting on the next ipad already exist on the current ipad, then they need...... to what exactly?

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
That's a non sequitur fallacy. The conclusion would't be that at all.

It's called pro due to marketing but it's far from being so due to it's reliance IOS rather than desktop like the surface does.

Nobody "needs" anything when buying an apple device given any cheap pc can do what it does just fine. The iPad is a luxury device (pro, mini, air) so I find your argument faulty at worst and naive at best.

Well no, I purchased something because it had all the features of an "Ipad" that the OP said he wanted to see. I merely pointed out they already existed on the latest Ipad, so I wasn't sure what he was expecting. However, since you're so keen on calling it marketing, then that logic should dictate that because all the features people are wanting on the next ipad already exist on the current ipad, then they need...... to what exactly?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014

not necessarily true. The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro don't have anything "exclusive", just everything is better, faster, etc

I believe keyboard/pen will come to air/mini (very soon)

The 4 speaker on pro is just an engineering thing. It achieve the 10 hour battery goal, still have space left in the body. It doesn't make much different for it to go over 10 hours, plus battery is really heavy. And somehow they couldn't make it thinner (becasue of size, heat, etc). So, they decide to utilize the extra space to make it 4 speakers
[doublepost=1452851333][/doublepost]
Wrong again. Back before retina MacBook Pro (2012 I believe), MacBook Air has a better resolution than the pro.
Plus, they all get the same port specs.

The only "major" deference is pro is faster, which they can just use A9 instead of A9X in airs, or simply clock it down

Reactions: FallenLegend

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
not necessarily true. The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro don't have anything "exclusive", just everything is better, faster, etc

I believe keyboard/pen will come to air/mini (very soon)

The 4 speaker on pro is just an engineering thing. It achieve the 10 hour battery goal, still have space left in the body. It doesn't make much different for it to go over 10 hours, plus battery is really heavy. And somehow they couldn't make it thinner (becasue of size, heat, etc). So, they decide to utilize the extra space to make it 4 speakers
[doublepost=1452851333][/doublepost]
Wrong again. Back before retina MacBook Pro (2012 I believe), MacBook Air has a better resolution than the pro.
Plus, they all get the same port specs.

The only "major" deference is pro is faster, which they can just use A9 instead of A9X in airs, or simply clock it down

I was more or less speaking in terms of todays model, but , fair enough, the air at one point was indeed better than the pro, imo, and probably many others. At the same time though, the ipad air was also better than the standard air, it's the same form of evolution, in this case though, I can't see them giving the air all the features of the pro when it's a completely new item, its not like it's an ipad that's been around a while, as the macbook air vs macbook pro in 2011. None the less, your point is valid, both of yours are. I'm simply saying what my logical connection is.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
That's a non sequitur fallacy. The conclusion would't be that at all.

It's called pro due to marketing but it's far from being so due to it's reliance IOS rather than desktop like the surface does.

Nobody "needs" anything when buying an apple device given any cheap pc can do what it does just fine. The iPad is a luxury device (pro, mini, air) so I find your argument faulty at worst and naive at best.
Seriously dude, just get off the forum if you're going to bring up the same argument from 25 years ago....."a PC can do everything a mac can for cheaper". GREAT, have fun with that. If you're too dense to understand why the Macbook Pro is actually better in many areas than the Macbook Air, you're head is so far up your rear it may never come out. Ask any creative professional. Not everyone in the working world only sits on spreadsheets and email all day. So yes, there are plenty of people who NEED a Macbook Pro when working with graphics or rendering large files where every second counts and color accuracy is paramount. Every Apple screen is the closest you'll get to professionally calibrated right out of the box than any garbage PC laptop screen.

Reactions: kurzz

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I would love to see 4 speakers on the Air but very, very doubtful it will happen. The limited space of the 9.7" form factor and Apple's tendency to prioritize other features over audio...

FallenLegend, off course only Apple knows for sure what a future Air will bring. Thank you for stating the obvious.

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Seriously dude, just get off the forum if you're going to bring up the same argument from 25 years ago....."a PC can do everything a mac can for cheaper". GREAT, have fun with that. If you're too dense to understand why the Macbook Pro is actually better in many areas than the Macbook Air, you're head is so far up your rear it may never come out. Ask any creative professional. Not everyone in the working world only sits on spreadsheets and email all day. So yes, there are plenty of people who NEED a Macbook Pro when working with graphics or rendering large files where every second counts and color accuracy is paramount. Every Apple screen is the closest you'll get to professionally calibrated right out of the box than any garbage PC laptop screen.

Make me.

A real professional can do real work with anything including a pc. Shrek was was done with Pc's in fact.

I would love to see 4 speakers on the Air but very, very doubtful it will happen. The limited space of the 9.7" form factor and Apple's tendency to prioritize other features over audio...

FallenLegend, off course only Apple knows for sure what a future Air will bring. Thank you for stating the obvious.

You're welcome

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I was more or less speaking in terms of todays model, but , fair enough, the air at one point was indeed better than the pro, imo, and probably many others. At the same time though, the ipad air was also better than the standard air, it's the same form of evolution, in this case though, I can't see them giving the air all the features of the pro when it's a completely new item, its not like it's an ipad that's been around a while, as the macbook air vs macbook pro in 2011. None the less, your point is valid, both of yours are. I'm simply saying what my logical connection is.
Yeah. My point was apple almost never made a techonology (not spec, but technology) exclusive to one lineup. Airs may get it one or two generations later, but it will get whatever pro has (with lower spec).
Also, what sets iPad apart from MacBook is that iOS devices are rather rapidly evolving. MacBooks can not getting one tech for two, three years, but iOS devices almost always gets the latest tech. Only exclusion was the original iPad mini, while Retina display was already available and on many devices, it did not get it at first.

Nevertheless, I don't think 4 speakers will be available on airs, at least not soon
[doublepost=1452902087][/doublepost]
Yeah. My point was apple almost never made a techonology (not spec, but technology) exclusive to one lineup. Airs may get it one or two generations later, but it will get whatever pro has (with lower spec).
Also, what sets iPad apart from MacBook is that iOS devices are rather rapidly evolving. MacBooks can not getting one tech for two, three years, but iOS devices almost always gets the latest tech. Only exclusion was the original iPad mini, while Retina display was already available and on many devices, it did not get it at first.

Nevertheless, I don't think 4 speakers will be available on airs, at least not soon

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
iPad Air Pro is too big to carry around. Carrying around something that big and one may as well carry around a laptop. We need better speakers in the iPad Mini and new iPad Air 3

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania

That's because the laptops nowadays have fundamental features which cannot be missing. 10 or 15 years ago a floppy drive, a disc burner, a USB port were all pro features available only on "pro" computers because they were novelties. Now we're past that. The only differentiator between the current laptop models is measured mostly by numbers: more ports, more speed, better screen, better graphics etc.

The iPads are now where laptops were 10 years ago. I believe the novelty features like 4 speakers and the Pencil support will remain Pro-only features for at least a couple of more years.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
That's because the laptops nowadays have fundamental features which cannot be missing. 10 or 15 years ago a floppy drive, a disc burner, a USB port were all pro features available only on "pro" computers because they were novelties. Now we're past that. The only differentiator between the current laptop models is measured mostly by numbers: more ports, more speed, better screen, better graphics etc.

The iPads are now where laptops were 10 years ago. I believe the novelty features like 4 speakers and the Pencil support will remain Pro-only features for at least a couple of more years.

but even 10 years ago, i don't remember apple put anything exclusively on pro devices. it's just not how they do 'pro'.
and one major difference between laptops before and tablets now, is that tablets are evolving MUCH faster than laptops. 10 years ago on laptops, you can lack one feature for years and still be the 'best' laptops in the market. but now, if you don't get the latest tech, unless you go to low end market, you are out of the game. just look at the designs. MacBooks have same design for 5+ years, but iPads? they usually update designs every year.

still, i think 4 speakers are more in 'unlikely' category, because of the limitation on internal spaces,
but pencil, this is going to be huge for students taking notes. and look at iOS 9.3, apple added education features, i believe apple will add pencil support to its cheaper tablets (very) soon.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I more and more get the feeling many here are in economical denial. There is no way that Apple will kill of the iPad Pro by making it's price rising features available on the normal iPad without a massive raise of price for it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I more and more get the feeling many here are in economical denial. There is no way that Apple will kill of the iPad Pro by making it's price rising features available on the normal iPad without a massive raise of price for it.

They are. They don't realize how much the Air2 has evolved from the iPad 1 and 2 while still keeping the same price point.

For example, some are clamoring for Apple to add pencil support to the Air, little realizing that to add that technology to it wIll cost $100-200 dollars even with Apple's economy of scale. Those sorts of enhancements don't happen so easily...not without consideration of cost, impact to the user in terms of actual usefullness and the % of people who will use it, etc.

It may happen...but it may be 2 (or more) years down the road before the Air gets it. And you might have to pay extra for it.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
but even 10 years ago, i don't remember apple put anything exclusively on pro devices. it's just not how they do 'pro'.

Yes they did. FireWire 800, the CardBus slot and the DVI video output were available only on PowerBooks, not on iBooks. Also the extended desktop support for external displays was exclusive to the PowerBooks. The iBooks could only do video mirroring and only on a crappy analog S-video connection.

Reactions: AleXXXa

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. While I'd like 4 speakers, but not at the expense of battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.