Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The 9.7" Pro is the successor to the Air 2, just as the Air was the successor to the iPad 4. I don't think there will be an Air 3 for the same reason why I don't think there will be an iPad 5.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I don't care for better hardware - but I do absolutely wish for better software. IOS on an iPad sucks so bad it's a complete joke. Have to do a ton of fitting to get this square peg in this round hole type of workflow process.

They need another iOS iPad team dedicated to make the iPad better. Otherwise it's a giant iPhone - which on a 12.9" display is complete waste of space.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't care for better hardware - but I do absolutely wish for better software. IOS on an iPad sucks so bad it's a complete joke. Have to do a ton of fitting to get this square peg in this round hole type of workflow process.

They need another iOS iPad team dedicated to make the iPad better. Otherwise it's a giant iPhone - which on a 12.9" display is complete waste of space.

If you know the hole is round, why do you even try to force a square peg into it when there are so many round pegs?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you know the hole is round, why do you even try to force a square peg into it when there are so many round pegs?
Because! I mean the iPad is such failure for not having USB slots, DVD-drive, Firewire, file manager, mouse support, etc. Seriously, I could just buy a Mac...
/s

Reactions: Skika

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

iOS on the iPad is a complete joke? Not a partial joke, but complete? Apple has reached the pinnacle of jokedness on the iPad... there's no room for it to be more of a joke? ;)

I'm poking fun at the hyperbole but it would be helpful to provide some areas that you find frustrating with iOS on the iPad. Maybe there are ways to accomplish the task by "thinking different", maybe the task being attempted is a reflection of how things are done on desktops and notebooks but aren't practical on a mobile device, and maybe there is indeed a deficiency with iOS that needs to be addressed.

I have used iPads every day since the first day of the iPad 1. Over time I've begun to think differently about how I do things, why I do things, and what I do on my desktop, notebook, and tablets. I've learned how to adjust my workflows for the devices that I have to use them as they were designed (and to push the boundaries on them).

I don't "need" an iPad (and now iPad Pro) for my tasks. But I WANT to use it. That has driven me to find different approaches to the things that I do. Some of these new approaches are actually BETTER than how I previously did them on desktops/notebooks, for other things, not so much. It's been a fun journey, and there have been irritations along the way. The greatest issue for me is not iOS itself, but the apps that LOOK identical to their OSX counterparts but aren't. Stumbling over those differences has been a significant source of heartache, heartbreak, and heartburn.

As much progress as I've made, I'm embarrassed by how much more functionality the iPad has that I haven't even begun tapping into. The daily grind has me focusing on work with little time left to "explore".

As for the iPad Air 3... nope, not going to happen. As others have said, the "Pro" moniker is a replacement for "Air".

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Like sracer joked, iOS on the iPad isn't a complete joke. It's only a partial joke. Many aspects of iOS on the iPad are completely fine. Things like Control Center on iOS 10 for the iPad are just pathetic.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The Air 3 was already released, its called the 9.7" Pro.

I disagree. Unless the Pro's drop back to the iPad Air's price point it is not an Air 3. I think that either the price will drop back to the familiar $499 or you'll have:
  • iPad Pro (9.7" and 12.9") - Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard, A10X, new screen tech, etc. $599+
  • iPad - iPad Air 2 with an A9 or A9X chip (no longer called Air or just Air, not Air 3) $449+
  • iPad Mini - 7.9" budget. Maybe A9, but probably still A8. $299+

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Because! I mean the iPad is such failure for not having USB slots, DVD-drive, Firewire, file manager, mouse support, etc. Seriously, I could just buy a Mac...
/s

I would actually like for iOS to allow for more in the way of file management, but I don't really expect any mobile OS, either iOS or Android to replace my desktop/laptop. It works for some, but I'm okay with my tablet and smartphone filling different niches from my PCs.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I would hope so. The IPad pro is way to expensive to be the succesor of the Air 2. Maybe Apple drops the price of the current pro to 499, then yes. If not then I expect an upgrade of the Air 2 for 499.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I would hope so. The IPad pro is way to expensive to be the succesor of the Air 2. Maybe Apple drops the price of the current pro to 499, then yes. If not then I expect an upgrade of the Air 2 for 499.

It's not way too expensive. It had a modest increase in price but under the hood it has incredible improvements and enhancements over the Air 2. The pencil is just the start.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
It's not way too expensive. It had a modest increase in price but under the hood it has incredible improvements and enhancements over the Air 2. The pencil is just the start.

It is. The current € 250 price difference (where I'm located) between the cheapest versions of both is not modest. A 200 euro difference at release for the same model is not modest.
And the pencil doesn't come for free either. If you don't need it, it's a useless feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.