Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Bummed out about the lack of leather Smart Covers for the newly announced iPad Air. Can't stand polyurethane covers, and who wants a bulky Smart Case.

I am going to miss my Navy Blue leather Smart Cover from iPad 3 days. Hopefully one of the 3rd party accessory makers will come through.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Bummed out about the lack of leather Smart Covers for the newly announced iPad Air. Can't stand polyurethane covers, and who wants a bulky Smart Case.

I am going to miss my Navy Blue leather Smart Cover from iPad 3 days. Hopefully one of the 3rd party accessory makers will come through.

I was just about to post this. I feel the same way. I love my leather smart cover and don't want a full case....looks like i'm gonna have to go with the polyurethane one now. :(

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
The smart case looks pretty good to me. :shrugs: I'll need to see it in person.

I am sure it's good if you want a case, but to me - all cases are ugly and add too much bulk. I just want Smart Cover that's not made of plastic

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012

Smart covers are a rip off. I'm not bummed at all. 1st party accessories are the most marked up Apple products. There's plenty of great 3rd party cases that are great quality for much cheaper.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

NO SO FAST MATE.....check this to be released leather IPAD/MINI SMART LEATHER CASE .

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Cases are Leather
Covers are Poly

cover is leather:

"Like the new iPhone's case, these Smart Cases will be made of dyed leather on the outside that is available in six colors: brown, beige, black, yellow, blue, and red. Meanwhile, the interior is lined with microfiber, which Apple claims will keep your device and screen clean while it's being protected."

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Use a skin on Smart Cover.

I was just about to post this. I feel the same way. I love my leather smart cover and don't want a full case....looks like i'm gonna have to go with the polyurethane one now. :(

I bought a carbon fiber skin kit for my Apple smart cover because I don't like its feel. This smart cover skin it adheres very well as I've used it for 8 months and although not leather, it does rid the Apple Smart Cover of the crappy feel of rubber. I bought it after giving up on Apple making a leather Smart Cover for the original mini.
I don't want the bulk of a full case either.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
cover is leather:

"Like the new iPhone's case, these Smart Cases will be made of dyed leather on the outside that is available in six colors: brown, beige, black, yellow, blue, and red. Meanwhile, the interior is lined with microfiber, which Apple claims will keep your device and screen clean while it's being protected."

No, Case is leather
Smart cover is poly:rolleyes:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Smart covers are a rip off. I'm not bummed at all. 1st party accessories are the most marked up Apple products. There's plenty of great 3rd party cases that are great quality for much cheaper.

Did you not see the part where I (and many others) do NOT want a case, Apple's made or otherwise.

Smart Cover is a perfect iPad accessory, as it adds screen protection and stand capabilities, while addicting minimal bulk. Marked up or not, show me another 3rd party cover accessory that matches Apple's quality and functionality.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
cover is leather:

You're getting confused between the official case that includes a Smart Cover as part of it which is made of leather and the official smart covers on their own which are only available in poly. Apple is not offering the smart covers on their own in leather.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I'm really hoping someone else comes out with an identical leather smart cover. I don't care who makes it as long as it's similar. I loved that thing on mine.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'll be making my leather covers for the iPad Air :)

I just need to get one of Apple's covers in hand to make sure I've got the right measurements and magnet placement. So, in a couple weeks, I guess.

Your covers look fantastic.

My only request would be if they could fold and form a stand like the Apple one.

PS. And also make a Breaking Bad related one! ;)

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Your covers look fantastic.

My only request would be if they could fold and form a stand like the Apple one.

PS. And also make a Breaking Bad related one! ;)

I 2nd this. I would definitely be in for one if they folded like the ipad covers...look like better quality too.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'll be making my leather covers for the iPad Air :)

I just need to get one of Apple's covers in hand to make sure I've got the right measurements and magnet placement. So, in a couple weeks, I guess.

I've been on Etsy before but I've not seen your stuff. It looks pretty good but again my concern would they don't fold like Apple's smart covers.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Can anybody confirm if the current smart covers for 2-4 will work with the ipad air?

The screen size is the same so I can't see why it won't work. It would save me money too since I love my black leather Smart Cover.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Can anybody confirm if the current smart covers for 2-4 will work with the ipad air?

The screen size is the same so I can't see why it won't work. It would save me money too since I love my black leather Smart Cover.

It would hang over all the edges and the attachment magnets would likely be in the wrong locations.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I don't think this is a big deal to be honest. I was at the apple store today and when I was checking out the iPads I could hardly tell the difference between the leather covers and the polyurethane covers. They feel almost the same. In fact I didn't even notice that there were two different types of covers until the employee pointed out that some of the covers were leather.

In your opinion what makes the leather case so much superior?

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
I don't think this is a big deal to be honest. I was at the apple store today and when I was checking out the iPads I could hardly tell the difference between the leather covers and the polyurethane covers. They feel almost the same. In fact I didn't even notice that there were two different types of covers until the employee pointed out that some of the covers were leather.

In your opinion what makes the leather case so much superior?

Resists dirt better, esp black leather cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.