Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrboro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2024
I’m a bit confused about the new iPad rumours.

If the new iPad Air gets the M2 chip, what will be the difference between the existing iPad Pro and this new device? Is it likely to just be promotion and a different camera location for FaceTime?

I can get the current iPad Pro 11 for around £680 new in the current sales.

This is probably going to be similar to the price for the new iPad Air.

Which is the better buy??

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
ProMotion and quad speakers.

Don't buy until you see what comes out and that should also bring a price decrease to the older models. Even if it doesn't, it's not like the older models will become more expensive so you can only profit if you wait for the release.

Edit:
About which one is the better buy, just today I went to the store to play a bit with the M1 Air and see how I like it. Very underwhelmed, ProMotion has ruined it for me. I decided to stick with my 10.5 inch Pro which is getting a new battery, unless there is a good enough price cut on the M2 Pro, in which case I may end up getting it, but it's a long shot. I don't expect that device to be discounted enough for me to decide it's worth it, but we'll see. For me the M2 Pro has a clear advantage over the new M2 Air because of ProMotion, can't unsee it. Now scrolling on the M1 Air doesn't feel good at all when I got used to ProMotion on iPhone and iPad, which is a shame because otherwise the Air would be perfect for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrboro

Just Mark

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
i don't think we will know the answer until the new iPad Air is released with specs and pricing. Also, the price of the current iPad Pro may come down further in price once the new Pros are released.

Reactions: mrboro

mrboro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2024
That’s what I’m doing. I’m hanging on to see what the new ones offer.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I’m a bit confused about the new iPad rumours.

If the new iPad Air gets the M2 chip, what will be the difference between the existing iPad Pro and this new device? Is it likely to just be promotion and a different camera location for FaceTime?

I can get the current iPad Pro 11 for around £680 new in the current sales.

This is probably going to be similar to the price for the new iPad Air.

Which is the better buy??
Do you need ProMotion, Face ID, Quad Speakers, LiDAR, dual-cameras with a flash, and capacities other than 64GB or 256GB? If so, you probably want to go Pro. If not, Air will suit you just fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.