Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
luxa2_h4_holder_apple_ipad_stand.jpg

Luxa2’s Stylish Aluminum Holder Suspends Your iPad Mid-Air

http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/luxa2s-stylish-holder-suspends-your-ipad-mid-air-20100326

Forget Apple’s delayed keyboard dock and iPad case and imagine, if you will, a robotic arm that holds your shiny couch computer suspended mid-air and turns it into a stylish photo frame or even a miniature home theater.

Luxa2, a division of Thermaltake dedicated to the home media, computer, and mobile accessories, has done what Apple did with the iPad – they took their well-known H1-Touch iPhone holder and blown it up a few times to fit the iPad perfectly.

But unlike other iPad accessories, especially holders, the Luxa2 H4 is a sturdy iPad companion that’s guaranteed to turn heads while affixing your multitouch gizmo firmly in place. You could also describe the holder as a shrunken iMac due to its foot with the curvature similar to that of the iMac’s stand.

Like on Apple’s all-in-one desktop the Luxa2 H4’s foot is silicon padded to ensure that the stand adheres to the flat surface. It also features a rotatable pivot, allowing you to turn and flip your device to find that ideal viewing angle.

The holder is 20 centimeters tall, 22 centimeter wide, and has six supporting arms with rubber pins that ensure scratch-free operation. Although it’s primarily meant for the iPad, the holder can also serve as a general-purpose e-reader accessory for your Kindle and other upcoming e-readers, the company said.

Brushed aluminum finish lends it an expensive look and feel that perfectly complements Apple’s $499 tablet. The Luxa2 H4 is scheduled to launch later this month. No price has been announced at press time.

Read more at the Luxa2 homepage
http://www.luxa2.com/media_detail.aspx?s=26

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nicest stand I've seen. Also the first. Cool looking, but probably way overpriced esp. since it doesn't appear to swivel. I think a good iPad stand must be able to go from landscape to portrait.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I thought it could swivel? I'll re-read the description, maybe I read wrong.

Edit: I read 'rotatable pivot' as a means of adjusting to any angle/orientation.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This looks pretty cool if a little over-industrial. Too bad there's not some type of rotating rear-mount doohicky on the iPad. It's would've been cool to simply snap it onto a rotating stand and be let to truly float visually.

Interesting to see $ on this...

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I like that! Looks like the stand on the iMac :)
It would be really cool if it swiveled from portrait to landscape though.

stoster38

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
North Hollywood
To hold the iPad with its 9.56 inches height, the LUXA2 H4 holder comes with dimension of 20cm height and 22cm width, 6 supporting arms with rubber pins hold eReaders tight and secure. In order to enjoy all the functions of the iPad and other modern eReaders you frequently want to have your hands free, so you don’t need to joggle the device around while trying to operate it. Protecting your new iPad/Kindle or any other eReader is important, the newly released LUXA2 H4 Holder, with durable aluminum and a rotatable pivot which allows you to turn and flip your iPad freely, and have it always in a perfectly stable and ideal viewing angle

This is from the manufacturer's web stie. I bolded a section that seems interesting. Not sure if it means you can move into landscape mode though. However for it to really be of use for me not only would it have to rotate to landscape but I would have to be able to put it at an angle that I could type on the touchscreen. That's just my opinion :)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
To hold the iPad with its 9.56 inches height, the LUXA2 H4 holder comes with dimension of 20cm height and 22cm width, 6 supporting arms with rubber pins hold eReaders tight and secure. In order to enjoy all the functions of the iPad and other modern eReaders you frequently want to have your hands free, so you don’t need to joggle the device around while trying to operate it. Protecting your new iPad/Kindle or any other eReader is important, the newly released LUXA2 H4 Holder, with durable aluminum and a rotatable pivot which allows you to turn and flip your iPad freely, and have it always in a perfectly stable and ideal viewing angle

This is from the manufacturer's web site. I bolded a section that seems interesting. Not sure if it means you can move into landscape mode though. However for it to really be of use for me not only would it have to rotate to landscape but I would have to be able to put it at an angle that I could type on the touchscreen. That's just my opinion :)

I just went to their web site and the key words here are " TURN and FLIP "! The touch version adjusts the viewing angle and landscape/vertical positioning. For the iPod touch the stand is $60.

So with that verbage one can safely assume the iPad features will be identical except the Price for it, is not stated yet.

If reasonable, I want one --))))));)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
That looks like a $50 accessory

Well somewhat in the ballpark... but the 'cell phone' sized version lists for $59 on their web store... SO one could easily see an iPad variety going for $99 or more.. unless it's massively discounted at retailers.... A quick google price search shows prices in the low 30's but with vendors I've never heard of.

Link to a review of the cell phone holder: http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/h1-touch/

It certainly looks nice tho...

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
The stand is nice, but I find those supporting prongs on both sides and the bottom too distracting. Looks like an iPad is trying to get out of a prison and it just managed to saw-off the bars. I really like my mStand, but this is too distracting. :)

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
It's disappointing how many companies make products that are designed for holding iPhones (and iPads) in their naked form. Most people put their gear in cases for protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.