Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Just picked up a like-new open box 11" 2022 iPad Pro over the weekend, at 256GB storage for the price of a 128GB - so a decent deal.

I graduated from just over four happy years with an iPad 6, and an original iPad Air for 5 years prior to that.

Frankly, I'm struggling for real use cases for my new Pro, other than being a glorified bigger screen to chill with at coffee shops and couch-surf - especially having an iPhone 11 Pro Max that feels much more agile for my daily use.

I do manage family documents in the cloud, and even give a little occasional IT support via screen share for others in my family/friends; so the bigger screen will be helpful; but still....

My goal for a new iPad was to get one with an M-chip & Apple Pencil 2 support; and that meant at least a 5th gen Air (256GB for a $650 deal) - which is already pretty close in price to the Pro - so I just splurged for the Pro and for the good advice of having ProMotion on a bigger screen.

My plans are to still get an upcoming M3-based MacBook Air to replace my ragged ol' 2011 MacBook Pro. I have over a terabyte of data that I've been storing on a computer from over the years; so I've been hesitating to get a keyboard case for my new iPad Pro - because then I'd want it to be my "real" computer - and I'd just try to fool myself into thinking that I could do without a real laptop.

Don't get me wrong - I have always enjoyed having an iPad, and I'm excited about the perceived longevity of my first M-based iPad; but I just didn't quite expect myself to have such mixed-emotions about an $800 device - and Apple frustrates me for not giving Pencil 2 support to its more reasonably-priced devices, especially the $449 10th Gen iPad.

Ahh well.

Last edited:

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Hello! If you plan to do those things you said, the 10th Gen would run easily. You don't really need the Apple Pencil. I have one and honestly there are other solutions for 20 or 30 euros that perform neatly. I hope you enjoy your new product.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Test the exact use cases you had in mind, sell it if it doesn’t represent an improvement over your old workflows. As has been established countless times the iPad doesn’t replace the laptop for many people, and for plenty of reasons.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Frankly, I'm struggling for real use cases for my new Pro, other than being a glorified bigger screen to chill with at coffee shops and couch-surf - especially having an iPhone 11 Pro Max that feels much more agile for my daily use.
I feel like the iPad is best as a "versatile main device" for if you don't have any other Apple products, like, say, an iPhone or Mac. if you have either of those (especially a Mac) then the use cases for an iPad diminish greatly. However, I only have iPads, so I get the best "use" for the ones that I buy, but they aren't necessarily a perfect device. It's sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation - the iPad can do just about anything, but not in the best or most optimal way, such as how Macs cover work focus and iPhones cover casual focus... leaving iPads with not much to do.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I feel like the iPad is best as a "versatile main device" for if you don't have any other Apple products, like, say, an iPhone or Mac. if you have either of those (especially a Mac) then the use cases for an iPad diminish greatly. However, I only have iPads, so I get the best "use" for the ones that I buy, but they aren't necessarily a perfect device. It's sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation - the iPad can do just about anything, but not in the best or most optimal way, such as how Macs cover work focus and iPhones cover casual focus... leaving iPads with not much to do.
I can see what you are saying and I think that it is most probably valid argument for a lot of people. That being said I wanted to provide a bit of different point of view. Another I say group of people that would find purpose for the iPad no matter if they have MacBook or iPhone. I am talking about use cases that take advantage of the Apple Pencil. I personally use a lot of my iPad for such activities - digital note taking, digital planning, reading books and highlighting.

Now don't get me wrong - I do browse on its after hours and watch some Youtube in bed but I bought the iPad because of the pencil and this is my main use.

Of course if someone does not care about this, then no need to invest in iPad Pro.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I can see what you are saying and I think that it is most probably valid argument for a lot of people. That being said I wanted to provide a bit of different point of view. Another I say group of people that would find purpose for the iPad no matter if they have MacBook or iPhone. I am talking about use cases that take advantage of the Apple Pencil. I personally use a lot of my iPad for such activities - digital note taking, digital planning, reading books and highlighting.

Now don't get me wrong - I do browse on its after hours and watch some Youtube in bed but I bought the iPad because of the pencil and this is my main use.

Of course if someone does not care about this, then no need to invest in iPad Pro.
I do see how it is a mainly drawing focused device and could work as a sort of drawing tablet, which would be very useful if you have a Mac since you could import the drawings you make to a computer and then touch them up or whatnot.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I do see how it is a mainly drawing focused device and could work as a sort of drawing tablet, which would be very useful if you have a Mac since you could import the drawings you make to a computer and then touch them up or whatnot.
Yes, there are some use cases however just because someone can use it this way, does not mean this is important case for everyone.
In the end of the day we each have our own needs and decide on how to use the device and based on that we also know what device we need.

I have to admit I do not need the iPad Pro because I have rather unique use case. I just need support for 2nd generation pencil and at least 512 GB as I do store files on it. And currently only iPad Pros cover those needs.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Unless you use it as a main device, which I would never do, the iPad is absolutely not needed. I have one which I use as my main book reader, but I could easily use another device for that, not to mention an actual Kindle. I like it though because it’s just a fantastic piece of hardware. So I end up using it for other ancillary tasks when I can. But make no mistake about it, this is the first device I would give up if I had to give up one.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Nice share of your thoughts and use cases.

I am a techie, and I really want to love and use this gorgeous iPad Pro; but I may well return it, feeling like overkill for my needs - especially with a brand new MacBook on deck for me soon, and an iPhone upgrade later in the year.

I still have my iPad 6, as a nice light-duty versatile device and a good secondary for Apple MFA; perhaps I'll just upgrade it to another base iPad once it is no longer supported.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Unless you use it as a main device, which I would never do, the iPad is absolutely not needed. I have one which I use as my main book reader, but I could easily use another device for that, not to mention an actual Kindle. I like it though because it’s just a fantastic piece of hardware. So I end up using it for other ancillary tasks when I can. But make no mistake about it, this is the first device I would give up if I had to give up one.
Hm. May I ask, which one is it?

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth

I am a techie, and I really want to love and use this gorgeous iPad Pro; but I may well return it, feeling like overkill for my needs - especially with a brand new MacBook on deck for me soon, and an iPhone upgrade later in the year.

I still have my iPad 6, as a nice light-duty versatile device and a good secondary for Apple MFA; perhaps I'll just upgrade it to another base iPad once it is no longer supported.
And yeah, sounds like you actually want a new Mac, not an iPad. iPads can, in a way, be used as a computer meant for casual users and not power players. Macs are for said power players, and judging by your usage you define as one. Good luck with your purchase (and return)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You're not the only one. I loved my iPad Pro 11 2018. I think it cost me something like $600-$700? That's going off my failing memory. I used one as my primary personal device for 2-3 years.

However, last year, I saved up and dropped $$$ on my 16' MBP so I have a real hard time justifying $1400 for an iPad Pro 11 (the one I want). A $1400 device just for reading, occasional browsing, Fitness+ in the garage, etc.

I've gone back and forth a lot over the last year on an iPad vs no iPad. I can't stand the base iPad because of no laminated display. I can't stand the mini because the text is too small. I can't stand the Air because the Apple Pencil just isn't that great - speakers are noticeably less. And the iPad I want is just way too damn expensive.

It's whatever works for you. There are people here with 2-3 iPads and a MBP. There are others with just an iPhone. Vast majority of people I know just have a mobile phone.

Me? I've been in a big "reduce the # of devices I have" mood for the last year motivated by my expensive MBP 16. I can do Apple Fitness+ on my MBP via my phone via airplay. I can read on my MBP. And thanks to the M1/M2 processors, I can use these things on my lap for long periods of time without harm. The screen is still jaw dropping amazing. (Part of my logic is, if I blew so much $ on the MBP, I need to use the screen more). lol.

My MBP 16 is the best machine I've ever used and a year later, that sentiment is even more so. When I use an iPad I miss a keyboard and the multi-tasking abilities a Mac has.

In the end, you gotta make the best decision for you. The amount of $ you have, whether you're someone who works at home/commutes to work, how much you want out of a computing device (games, programming, social media, etc).

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

I’m the same as you but I’m a year in and massively wish i got a new laptop instead. It’s great but too many limitations for my liking. I’d return it if i was you.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I have always enjoyed having an iPad, and I'm excited about the perceived longevity of my first M-based iPad

This is a key point for you I think.

It's clear you keep your iPads for quite a while, and the 11" Pro is going to be nicer to use for longer than your prior two iPads have been.(I was using my Air 1 up to 2017 and I can't say it was all *that* enjoyable by then) It's also going to be nicer to use then the iPad 9 or 10 will be in 3-4 years. The screen is also nicer than the Air 5, as are the speakers.

I have the fourth-gen 12.9 - the A12Z model. Do I use all the features it offers? Certainly not, but am I glad to have a big nice iPad? Yes. And like you, I bought it open box at a good discount.

(admittedly, the 12.9 is a weird case because there is no cheaper variant)

If you've been using a 2011 MBP this long you'll probably end up not being able to fully use the power on an M3 MacBook either - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it either.

So, if you want to return it, you can, but don't feel guilty that you have a very nice iPad which will still be nice to use in 2026 and likely even 2027.

• Love
Reactions: TGM85 and phillytim

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Just picked up a like-new open box 11" 2022 iPad Pro over the weekend, at 256GB storage for the price of a 128GB - so a decent deal.

I graduated from just over four happy years with an iPad 6, and an original iPad Air for 5 years prior to that.

I do manage family documents in the cloud, and even give a little occasional IT support via screen share for others in my family/friends; so the bigger screen will be helpful; but still....

My goal for a new iPad was to get one with an M-chip & Apple Pencil 2 support; and that meant at least a 5th gen Air (256GB for a $650 deal) - which is already pretty close in price to the Pro - so I just splurged for the Pro and for the good advice of having ProMotion on a bigger screen.

My plans are to still get an upcoming M3-based MacBook Air to replace my ragged ol' 2011 MacBook Pro. I have over a terabyte of data that I've been storing on a computer from over the years; so I've been hesitating to get a keyboard case for my new iPad Pro - because then I'd want it to be my "real" computer - and I'd just try to fool myself into thinking that I could do without a real laptop.

Don't get me wrong - I have always enjoyed having an iPad, and I'm excited about the perceived longevity of my first M-based iPad; but I just didn't quite expect myself to have such mixed-emotions about an $800 device - and Apple frustrates me for not giving Pencil 2 support to its more reasonably-priced devices, especially the $449 10th Gen iPad.

Ahh well.
Why did you want a M- ipad in the first place ?

Last edited:

joehohoho

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah I get you. I ditched my iPad altogether and went for a MBP as I was fed up with the software limitations.

When apple announced iOS had forked to iPadOS I thought it would finally allow the hardware to come into its own but the truth is very little progress has been made imo.

Much prefer macOS and being able to do everything I want. Maybe with exception of gaming which is limited.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
but I just didn't quite expect myself to have such mixed-emotions about an $800 device

Haha yeah tell me about it. I would almost prefer not to have my 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard just so I didn't have to constantly choose between it and my 14" MacBook Pro.

Light and super portable with limitations, vs heavier and full featured. I've yet to fully answer that question.

If Apple brought back the 12" MacBook, maybe at 12.5" since the bezels would be smaller, with Apple Silicon, current Apple keyboard, maybe even a touch screen and cellular, I wouldn't have to ask that question anymore.

With stage manager it's even worse, as I've been able to fully do my job from just my 11" iPad docked to a monitor. It's not an amazing experience, but I did it for a couple of days just to see if I could, and I could.

Reactions: phillytim

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
I have a Mac Mini connected to a 32" display, and iPhone 14pro and a 5 year old ipad. The ipad gets used daily as an ebook, a touch controller for an audio mixer, and email/browsing when I'm not at my desk. It's great for travel and watching movies and such. And since I don't have a laptop I bring it to the occasional client meeting to show my designs. I guess everyone uses their devices as it makes sense to them. Can't see myself ever needing an iPad pro. Never tried an Apple pencil since mine doesn't support them. Perhaps i'd like it and get back to sketching?

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

I get the desire. Work bought mine, then a couple of years later work got me a MacBook Air and then an iPad mini. Now the iPad Pro sits in the kitchen as a home hub / family calendar / music stuff. Such light use for such an amazing gadget, but at least it gets to look really cool.

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.