Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I received my new iPad Pro 12.9 a few days ago and then yesterday, my magic keyboard (apple) which actually works just great! However, sitting with the iPad and keyboard has been challenging, and it is a bit heavier and larger than I imagined. Anyone lease having this experience or thinking going down to an 11” any input appreciated.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I received my new iPad Pro 12.9 a few days ago and then yesterday, my magic keyboard (apple) which actually works just great! However, sitting with the iPad and keyboard has been challenging, and it is a bit heavier and larger than I imagined. Anyone lease having this experience or thinking going down to an 11” any input appreciated.

Are you using it on your lap? At home I'm using one of those laptop "desks". Just a flat plank with a small cushion on the bottom. Works great on the couch.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Are you using it on your lap? At home I'm using one of those laptop "desks". Just a flat plank with a small cushion on the bottom. Works great on the couch.
Yeah just my lap on the coach... just doesn’t seem to work that well, its manageable... but wondering if the 11 would be better!

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I think it is good in the lap, even better than a laptop since I don't need to have the touchpad far enough from me to make it comfortable, I can use the screen if I want to. The weight doesn't matter when it is just sitting there.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I get that the Magic Keyboard is heavy and sturdy for stability reasons but is there any danger of a Magic keyboard/iPad combo toppling over if someone accidentally bumps into it while walking past? Like in a lecture theatre type environment?

For sustained typing a bottom heavy laptop configuration (like the MBA) would be more sensible and stable, and that's where an 'iBook' (ARM powered Macbook) would probably make a sensible use case.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I get that the Magic Keyboard is heavy and sturdy for stability reasons but is there any danger of a Magic keyboard/iPad combo toppling over if someone accidentally bumps into it while walking past? Like in a lecture theatre type environment?

For sustained typing a bottom heavy laptop configuration (like the MBA) would be more sensible and stable, and that's where an 'iBook' (ARM powered Macbook) would probably make a sensible use case.
Well I think on flat surfaces its fine.... and this thing blows the MBA air away in terms of speed and color.... never been a huge iPad fan but this keyboard make it feel like a laptop... keyboard is amazing...

Reactions: Precursor

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
There are ways of adjusting the keyboard so it is more stable in the lap when sitting down, but overall I would actually think the 12.9 is more stable than the 11 inch in the lap simply because of having a wider base.

Having used the 12.9 and magic keyboard for a few days now, I am very happy with how stable it is. I don’t find it to be much less stable than laptops I have used in the past. The case is also rubberized or has grip to it so it is less likely to slip than something like a naked macbook.

Reactions: Precursor

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Have both at home and the 12.9 is the more stable of the two.
Maybe I am using it wrong.. lol... but seems so unbalanced to me... you have the new ones with magic keyboards? Could take some getting use to...

DwayneJohnson

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Im happy with my iPP+MK (12,9")...
In my opinion 11" is too small

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Not sure if this applies here as I don’t know your use case, but I’ve seen a lot of posts from people on the forum asking if they should buy the new Keyboard case aka Magic Keyboard. I think the Smart Keyboard Folio is a keyboard case... the Magic Keyboard on the other hand effectively transforms the iPad in to a laptop.

If you’re not wanting to use your iPad like a laptop and have it feel & weigh the same as a laptop, this isn’t the product to go for. If I’m not needing a “laptop“, the iPad isn’t in the Magic Keyboard case.

Reactions: Ghost31

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Well having the larger screen is for sure nice and works beautifully on the table.. it is more powerful and better in almost every way than my 2020 AIR.....

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I am often in a situation where I need to take notes on a computing device while having it in my lap for work. I have tried various iPads in this configuration - they are all inferior to laptops for lap typing for this purpose. I am guessing the 12.9” magic keyboard will be better than a 12.9” with a Smart Keyboard folio in the lap - however both will not be as good as a laptop on the lap.

I think a lot of reviewers have made this point - the magic keyboard, and trackpad support in general, have made the iPad Pro (particularly a 12.9”) a monster desktop machine. I am sitting here with my 12.9” on a table with the old smart keyboard folio and the magic trackpad 2. I now use the Magic Trackpad to navigate IOS, and it is comfortable as I can lean back in my chair and control the OS without touching the screen. When I want to use it in bed, I am now folding the keyboard back or taking it out of the folio entirely. But on the desk, I think the Magic Keyboard (plus the Magic Trackpad 2 - I intend to keep using it with the iPad) transforms the iPad into a different more powerful machine

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Are your hands small?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have to admit that the my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” is a little unwieldy while in bed using the basic Apple folio without keyboard. I’ve looked for use in bed mounts/stands for “naked” Apple Folio. Nothing I found online looks good to me. I just use the standard Apple Folio in triangle mode. If anyone finds an Apple Magic Folio Keyboard stand for in bed use let us know. Maybe an existing laptop stand might fit the bill?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Yeah just my lap on the coach... just doesn’t seem to work that well, its manageable... but wondering if the 11 would be better!
Ive been looking for more opinions on the 11 Magic Keyboard also because, as much as I love the addition of the trackpad, most of the time I use my iPad + Smart Keyboard on my lap. For whatever reason I haven’t fallen in love with the 12.9 the way so many others have and I’m not entirely sure why.

Personally, my biggest takeaway is that this is a product that compromises its two major uses. Desktop Dock and iPad Case. As a dock then it works great on a desk but not anywhere else. And as a case then its a hefty accessory that offers no protection when you want to use your iPad like an iPad.

I feel that long term then the 12.9 will pay off to be the better size, but I do like the 11 size so I’m just weighing all options.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I returned my 2018 12.9” iPad Pro and went with the 11” model for this reason. It’s great when used on a desk as a laptop replacement, but I found it too bulky to walk around with it or use it anywhere else (such as reading in portrait mode). Which was a shame - I found the larger display really amazing for multitasking and just consuming media in general.

You have to ask yourself which you value more. Screen estate or portability.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

If only it could be a true iBook, colourful plastic casing and all.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010

The center of gravity of the iPad + keyboard is closer to the iPad, so it’s not technically as stable as a laptop. You tip over the iPad + keyboard, it’s going to tumble and stay that way. You tip over a laptop, and it’s going to tip right back to a normal stance.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Absolutely LOVE my iPad Pro 12.9 and MK! The weight, for me, is not an issue at all. I’m used to heavier notebooks, as I haven’t updated since my 2013 MBP. Plus, it’s super easy to take the iPad off the MK if I want to use it that way (and less weight).

I didn’t know how much I’d like this, and I’m pleasantly surprised at just how much I’m loving this!!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Absolutely LOVE my iPad Pro 12.9 and MK! The weight, for me, is not an issue at all. I’m used to heavier notebooks, as I haven’t updated since my 2013 MBP. Plus, it’s super easy to take the iPad off the MK if I want to use it that way (and less weight).

I didn’t know how much I’d like this, and I’m pleasantly surprised at just how much I’m loving this!!
Yes the MK is amazing... really is, and then makes the whole thing reel like a computer! Good point about taking it apart as neeed!

Reactions: decypher44

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Yup I have the MK for both here! The 12.9 has a wider base on my lap and definitely feels more stable.
Agree with above poster re: ease of removal. Even with the Smart Keyboard portfolio I would remove my previous 11” and use it caseless. MK makes this so much easier with a more competent keyboard.

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.