Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Don't get me wrong. What they've done with the screen is great. USB-C and the A12x are awesome.

But the body/chassis design looks like a big step backwards. Its thinner, but it appears thicker due to the slab-sided appearance. The chamfered edges, which added a nice touch, are gone. The antenna lines are painfully obvious. The finish looks rather dull, and the colours are boring.

It might be iPhone 4-inspired, but it's far inferior to that design IMO with its stainless steel bands + glass back.

And it's almost like they know that, which is why the cases completely cover it up. There appears to be no regular smart cover (the one that doesn't cover the back, which is the one I like best).

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I tend to agree. I was actually a bit disappointed with how large the bezels were, too. I like the chamfered edges, but they were also a fragile pain in the ass that got very noticeable nicks at the drop of a hat. Overall, the design to me just doesn't look like something I'd pay $800 for.

Reactions: nat510

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I like the device overall in terms of usability and functionality, so I'll be buying two, but I just find them not as nice to look at. I've seen a lot of nicks on some peoples iPads like you mention, but I haven't gotten them myself. They could have stepped it up and maybe done SS + glass, and chamfered edges on SS would be so much more resilient.

It's weird that they went from pill shaped/smooth/rounded design in the first couple of iPhones to the iPhone 4-5 design, then back to pill/smooth for the phones, up to and including the XS/Max, but with the iPad, they've gone back to the straight-edged industrial design we first saw 8 years ago.

I tend to agree. I was actually a bit disappointed with how large the bezels were, too. I like the chamfered edges, but they were also a fragile pain in the ass that got very noticeable nicks at the drop of a hat. Overall, the design to me just doesn't look like something I'd pay $800 for.
[doublepost=1540924610][/doublepost]Yeah that's true. I remember liking the more gentle curve in the hands of the iPad 2.

Looks a little like the first iPad again. The second iPad afterwards was praised for it's new more elegant slimmer design....

Reactions: RevTEG

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I like the device overall in terms of usability and functionality, so I'll be buying two, but I just find them not as nice to look at. I've seen a lot of nicks on some peoples iPads like you mention, but I haven't gotten them myself. They could have stepped it up and maybe done SS + glass, and chamfered edges on SS would be so much more resilient.

It's weird that they went from pill shaped/smooth/rounded design in the first couple of iPhones to the iPhone 4-5 design, then back to pill/smooth for the phones, up to and including the XS/Max, but with the iPad, they've gone back to the straight-edged industrial design we first saw 8 years ago.
I think it's basically a compromise for being able to decrease the bezels and keep battery life up at the same time. I would have rather had it be a few millimeters thicker with better battery and pill shaped edges, but Apple still seems obsessed with making things ridiculously thin, even if it seems to cause compromises on other design aspects (why?)

Reactions: Tozovac and loybond

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
That does make sense as the reason.

I think it's basically a compromise for being able to decrease the bezels and keep battery life up at the same time. I would have rather had it be a few millimeters thicker with better battery and pill shaped edges, but Apple still seems obsessed with making things ridiculously thin, even if it seems to cause compromises on other design aspects (why?)

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Is it just a fresh design you were looking for (which I can understand, they've had the same basic design since the iPad 2), or do you actually dig the look? Personally I hate most cases, because of the thickness they add. I only have ever used them naked or with the smart cover, which doesn't seem to exist for this generation.

Disagree, I love it. Especially with the new folio also.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
During the presentation they said that the corners were redesigned in order to accommodate the thinner Bezels allowing them to get the pixels out to the edge in the corners.

By the way I do like the new design and have ordered a 12.9” (that is the size that I have now, an original) in silver with 256 GB of storage. I wish they would have stayed with the 128 GB as that is more to what I need, but they didn’t. I also did not get the cellular option as I rarely used it on my present iPad Pro, and can use my iPhone XS Max as a hot spot if needed.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't get me wrong. What they've done with the screen is great. USB-C and the A12x are awesome.

But the body/chassis design looks like a big step backwards. Its thinner, but it appears thicker due to the slab-sided appearance. The chamfered edges, which added a nice touch, are gone. The antenna lines are painfully obvious. The finish looks rather dull, and the colours are boring.

It might be iPhone 4-inspired, but it's far inferior to that design IMO with its stainless steel bands + glass back.

And it's almost like they know that, which is why the cases completely cover it up. There appears to be no regular smart cover (the one that doesn't cover the back, which is the one I like best).

I think at this point a total redesign was needed... the design has been the same since the iPad Air which was still very similar in design to the iPad 2. I personally like the design, but I definitely feel like something new was needed

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Is it just a fresh design you were looking for (which I can understand, they've had the same basic design since the iPad 2), or do you actually dig the look? Personally I hate most cases, because of the thickness they add. I only have ever used them naked or with the smart cover, which doesn't seem to exist for this generation.

I really like it, looks very modern and industrial to me. I purchased the smart cover folio for the 11 inch, which covers the front and back using magnets. Looks very slick to me, without much bulk.

MRX72_AV4

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
With the new folio case, the iPad Pro looks like a professional digital 'book' and I love it. I plan on using it for my work & light content consumption at home and already in love with the design.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

Not sure why exactly either but the thought did occur to me that with the new ASK design covering the back they needed to go thinner just to account for the added bulk of that case design. I'm wondering what the feel is like carrying a 2nd gen with ASK vs a 3rd gen with ASK in terms of thickness and weight, anyone know how heavy and thick a 3rd gen 12.9 is with the new ASK?

For now I'm going to stay put with my 2nd Gen 12.9 but I'm rather disappointed in there not being a reduced bezel 10.5. I was hoping to upgrade my wife's iPad Air 2 to a new Pro model but I doubt I'll be able to convince her to go with an 11-inch since it will be larger and heavier than what she's used to.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
When these renders first leaked, I thought it was quite odd going to the flat edges like they did. But I quickly fell in love with the design. I really really like what they've done with it. Has a very machined type of look to it, and 5.8mm thin is pretty crazy. That's thinner than the iPod touch, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro 9.7/10.5 (which all were 6.1mm).

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Not sure why exactly either but the thought did occur to me that with the new ASK design covering the back they needed to go thinner just to account for the added bulk of that case design. I'm wondering what the feel is like carrying a 2nd gen with ASK vs a 3rd gen with ASK in terms of thickness and weight, anyone know how heavy and thick a 3rd gen 12.9 is with the new ASK?

For now I'm going to stay put with my 2nd Gen 12.9 but I'm rather disappointed in there not being a reduced bezel 10.5. I was hoping to upgrade my wife's iPad Air 2 to a new Pro model but I doubt I'll be able to convince her to go with an 11-inch since it will be larger and heavier than what she's used to.
It seems kind of dumb to design the iPad itself around the accessory that they don't even include in the box, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason. I certainly don't feel, carrying around my 9.7" Pro, "man, this thing is too damn thick" haha. Not something I think anyone was asking for. I think we've gotten to the point of diminishing returns when it comes to actual marginal utility per each millimeter taken off the thickness.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Only wish the sides were covered as well so scratches can be avoided

I think its so you can still attach the pencil. I generally take really good care anyway so not too worried, plus I think it looks cool.
[doublepost=1540926094][/doublepost]
I saw a side pic of the case on one of these threads, and in total, it seems to more than double the thickness

The smart folio?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Completely disagree with you OP, I think its the best looking iPad since the iPad 1. Ive always loved the flat sides of the iPad 1, and iPhones 4 & 5. The only thing i absolutely hate is that cameraaaaaa. Dont tell me its 5.9mm thick yet it wouldnt fit in a 6mm slot in a wall. The device is as thin as the thickest part. Thats how they measured the MBA, thats how they sure measure these tumored iPads and iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.