Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will we get new Ipad Pro's this year (2019) or 2020?

• Yes, around Sep-Nov timeframe as rumored

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • No, too early. March at the earliest!

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
We're quickly aproaching iPhone time, and word is we will be getting new Pro's this year. Personally i hope so, cause i'm without a iPad at the moment, and been through the pros but the bending issues make me too paranoid to use them normally.

I dont want to spend 1000 plus dollars on a device i'm scared to use laying in bed, on the go, etc (even with a high end case on it)

They just bend too easy for my tastes.

That said, if the rumors are true and we are getting a refresh soon (within the next 9 months), will it be this fall, or next spring, because i am hearing both rumors!

On the one hand, for me, i can wait till spring and just get a entry level model or air until then, then trade it in and save a few bucks in the short term..

on the other hand, if they do come out with new ones, all i ask is for them to be reinforced and wont pull the trigger on a purchase until i see a bend test!

Even if its the exact same one as the current pro, just reinforced internally to make it stronger, ill do it!

What are your thoughts?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I think April. 10th anniversary of iPad and the Pro line has never updated after just a year.

The Mini and Air haven’t long updated and I don’t see a base iPad replacement/refresh as being enough for such an event.

marcg868

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2019
Blackburn, Lancashire, UK
No bend issues here, I take mine to work with me, it goes in my bag, with a 2litre bottle of water plus my shoes jiggling around on a motorbike for an hour commute. I even sat on it by accident the other day and no bend issues.

Reactions: Kal-037

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
I think there are a lot more important things worry about than bendgate! My iPP 11 is just fine. Goes to work everyday. Use it every night. But then I don't sleep with it either so rolling over on it is not really an issue!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Fall 2019.

Because it makes zero sense to dry-launch iPadOS with last year's hardware.

Because of the iPad Pro EEC registration numbers in July. Apple doesn't register new model numbers more than 6 months ahead.

Because it's been confirmed by highly credible sources like Mark Gurman.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I’m waiting for an ipad update too since I sold my mbp and hope for new pros this fall. There is no way I buy from current iPP line with that weak chassis.

Lmao I don’t think the new iPads will have a better “chassis”.. they bend because they are super thin and people can’t take care of their stuff. Think about how many iPad Pro’s are currently being used and how many are bending? Every single tech item will have an issue that’s blown out of proportion.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Fall 2019.

Because it makes zero sense to dry-launch iPadOS with last year's hardware.

Not trying to start anything, but they didn’t release the 2017 iPad Pros with new software to show off the new hardware, nor do they release new software for iMacs, Mac Minis, and MacBooks, because they aren’t always updated in conjunction with a software release or even updated annually every time.
*Just food for thought.

Apple’s trying to get the iPad to be seen as more than simply a tablet and large iPhone, but rather, a true computer replacement (that just happens to be a tablet,) it even now has a mobile/desktop hybrid OS too. So they might be doing some different things. I mean, they gave their newest iPads (mini 5 and Air 3 the A12, not A12X.) Why not throw in the A12X since they are touting those iPads as “power isn’t just for the pros” and “mini just got mightier” sure the A12 Bionic is a beast... but I see no reason they couldn’t throw the A12X in there instead.
Of course none of this mean could mean anything, but I just wouldn’t put it past Apple to release iPad OS for the 2018 iPads and call it a day until the next bump is.

Kallum.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not trying to start anything, but they didn’t release the 2017 iPad Pros with new software to show off the new hardware, nor do they release new software for iMacs, Mac Minis, and MacBooks, because they aren’t always updated in conjunction with a software release or even updated annually every time.
*Just food for thought.

Apple’s trying to get the iPad to be seen as more than simply a tablet and large iPhone, but rather, a true computer replacement (that just happens to be a tablet,) it even now has a mobile/desktop hybrid OS too. So they might be doing some different things. I mean, they gave their newest iPads (mini 5 and Air 3 the A12, not A12X.) Why not throw in the A12X since they are touting those iPads as “power isn’t just for the pros” and “mini just got mightier” sure the A12 Bionic is a beast... but I see no reason they couldn’t throw the A12X in there instead.
Of course none of this mean could mean anything, but I just wouldn’t put it past Apple to release iPad OS for the 2018 iPads and call it a day until the next bump is.

Kallum.

The 2017 iPad Pros were launched at WWDC to prove to software developers that Apple was serious about iPad Pro. Apple wanted developers to really start developing iPad Pro apps for iOS 11. In any other situation, I don’t think Apple would have launched 2017 iPad Pros with iOS 10. But it was necessary to have the pieces in place for a successful iPad Pro ecosystem.

With iPadOS, the iPad team has their own software unit and dedicated marketing message. Apple has seen the success that comes with launching hardware and software together. Apple controls all the pieces. I can’t imagine why the iPad Pro would not adopt this model.

With Mac, Apple simply does not control the timeline of the processor release.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
The 2017 iPad Pros were launched at WWDC to prove to software developers that Apple was serious about iPad Pro. Apple wanted developers to really start developing iPad Pro apps for iOS 11. In any other situation, I don’t think Apple would have launched 2017 iPad Pros with iOS 10. But it was necessary to have the pieces in place for a successful iPad Pro ecosystem.

With iPadOS, the iPad team has their own software unit and dedicated marketing message. Apple has seen the success that comes with launching hardware and software together. Apple controls all the pieces. I can’t imagine why the iPad Pro would not adopt this model.

With Mac, Apple simply does not control the timeline of the processor release.
I still disagree about the reasoning as June 2017 was almost two years since the 2015 iPP released, so they HAd to release something new whether it coincided with software or not. Again, just my opinion. :)

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
I'm saying Fall 2019 just because I'm seeing iPad Pro stock drawdowns happen around the world. That only happens when a new model is within a month or two of launching.

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I still disagree about the reasoning as June 2017 was almost two years since the 2015 iPP released, so they HAd to release something new whether it coincided with software or not. Again, just my opinion. :)
Another consideration here, I reckon, was A11X would not have been ready for 2017 release so they skipped that and they needed A10X out before the A11 iPhones were released.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
This is what i'm thinking, they are most likely going to release something within the next 6 months because if they werent we wouldent be getting all these reports about new model numbers and the like.

I hesitate to say for sure in the fall, because this would be just one year after the last pro and people who bought a pro thinking they would get a full 18 months atleast of having the latest model would be upset...

BUT..they did this in the past too, putting out a new model just around a year after the last. Also, the rumored upgrades are minumum at best.

No rational person (well...most people )is going to buy the new ipad pros just for the new camera bump. Also the processor upgrade would be neglatable at best...

Outside of maybe AR improvements, how much more powerful is this processor going to be? You can still record and shoot 4k footage and edit it on the current pros... How much more power do you need on a tablet before your forced to buy a macbook pro or something higher?

What i am hoping and thinking is...this is also going to be an internaly reinforced model too.. cause they did do this back with the Iphones (i forget which ones, i think it was the 6 or 7)

Point is, one of the iphones were bending, and apple knew this and reinforced the next generation of it and sold it as a feature, but outside of that and better cameras and processors, it was still the same thing, it wasnt a drastically redesigned model.

So why not do it here?

IF apple comes out publically and says "hey guys, we kinda made the new ipad pros too thin, bring all of them back and we will give u new ones on the house" they would lose so much confidence in the publics eye and it would hurt sales..

Now they may come out later and say "hey everyone who had an issue and had to pay out of pocket for repairs, we will refund you for the repairs" YEARS AFTER THE FACT..

Its just logically, cheeper to put out a newer reinforced model with a few minor new features slapped into it so they can say "technically its a new model and we never said we wouldent put out a new one within a certain amount of time"

so, the question is open and up in the air.

They got two options here... release it in the fall, run the risk of pissing off the ones that puchased it a year ago, or hold off until the spring/summer/fall of next year..

If we go into novemeber with no new anouncement then i would say yes its not happening this year and to buy a cheeper model as a temp then trade it in towards something better but i just want your guys thoughts on that!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I hesitate to say for sure in the fall, because this would be just one year after the last pro and people who bought a pro thinking they would get a full 18 months atleast of having the latest model would be upset...

They got two options here... release it in the fall, run the risk of pissing off the ones that puchased it a year ago, or hold off until the spring/summer/fall of next year..

Every time I read a comment like this, I wonder... do you really think Apple cares about "pissing off" the tiny number of people who have dreams of a perpetual 18 month cycle?

Or do you think Apple has much greater ambitions? Like promoting the latest technology as the market leader and convincing other tablet users to buy iPad Pro?

Pretend you are leading the iPad team, which would you choose?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Every time I read a comment like this, I wonder... do you really think Apple cares about "pissing off" the tiny number of people who have dreams of a perpetual 18 month cycle?

Or do you think Apple has much greater ambitions? Like promoting the latest technology as the market leader and convincing other tablet users to buy iPad Pro?

Pretend you are leading the iPad team, which would you choose?
I still believe Apple is going to piss off some of those who bought the iPad Air this year, by putting Face ID on the lower cost 10.2” iPad.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I still believe Apple is going to piss off some of those who bought the iPad Air this year, by putting Face ID on the lower cost 10.2” iPad.

I can see where you're coming from and I really hope that turns out to be true.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I think because of iPadOS there are going to be some new iPads this fall. 18 month cycle sounds logical for iPad Pro, but iPadOS is a quite big change, so without some refresh in iPad line it would seem like a boring launch, not a start of something new. But it's possible the new iPad will be that rumored 10.2inch, not refreshed iPad Pro. I'm waiting for refreshed iPad Pro = just because of the weak chassis, everything else is perfecr. I have the 9.7inch iPad Pro and it is slightly bend, but I'm a "heavy" user (at least in contrast of all the people who take such a care of their iPads). I put it in backpack all the time, sometimes a fell asleep on it, I accidentally sat on it few times. I can't even imagine how the current iPad Pro would sustain such a usage.

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
I think because of iPadOS there are going to be some new iPads this fall. 18 month cycle sounds logical for iPad Pro, but iPadOS is a quite big change, so without some refresh in iPad line it would seem like a boring launch, not a start of something new. But it's possible the new iPad will be that rumored 10.2inch, not refreshed iPad Pro. I'm waiting for refreshed iPad Pro = just because of the weak chassis, everything else is perfecr. I have the 9.7inch iPad Pro and it is slightly bend, but I'm a "heavy" user (at least in contrast of all the people who take such a care of their iPads). I put it in backpack all the time, sometimes a fell asleep on it, I accidentally sat on it few times. I can't even imagine how the current iPad Pro would sustain such a usage.

See..thats what i want...i really dont care about the new cameras that much on the phones or the ipads, there dam good as it is, but i will admit they havent sold me on them yet, the keynote might change all that...i just want a stronger ipad..thats it..you give me that and i will glady buy one.

Now realistically i totally understand if you try to bend it, likely you will be able too.. Regardless if its stronger or not i fully intend on putting it in a high end case to protect it.

I just want something that i can plop down on a bed or a desk and use normally and not worry about them bending!

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013

I put mine in cases and have screen covers and really take care of them, but I like your style!

People like you are the ones who should be given the complimentary review models as you're using them as they're supposed to be used but a lot of us are afraid to...I'd certainly respect your opinion on whether a new iPad is actually bendy or not and made for real world usage!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.