Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Technically not brand new - it's about 1 month old. Bought factory unlocked from Apple. I haven't even used it as my daily driver the entire time. I'm a little concerned I'm seeing these messages on what is essentially a brand new device. When I go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health, this is what the page says (should I be concerned?):

Important Battery Message
Your battery health reporting system is recalibrating Maximum Capacity and Peak Performance Capability. This process may take a few weeks.

Maximum Capacity* 100%
This is a measure of battery capacity relative to when it was new. Lower capacity may result in fewer hours of usage between charges
* This is the reported Maximum Capacity before recalibration. Actual Maximum Capacity may be different.

Peak Performance Capability
Built-in dynamic software and hardware systems will help counter performance impacts that may be noticed as your iPhone battery chemically ages.

Optimized Battery Charging (toggled on)

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry to reply again here, but I've been googling and digging and I do see lots of info around this message, but it always seems to be in context with a battery that's a bit older with some usage under its belt already... not finding anything about one this new.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
You're concerned that it's reporting battery capacity of 100? Just stop. That's great. The recalibration thing is normal, by the way. It was introduced in iOS 14.5. And you should update immediately to 15.2 too.

Obviously I'm not concerned that it's reporting 100% - that's what it should be reporting after a few weeks of light usage.

The impression I got by reading the various support docs was that the recalibration thing only happens after the battery has degraded and is potentially reporting incorrectly. I'm aware of the 14.5 change, and I'm also already on 15.2. The fact that I'm receiving the recalibration message at all this early is what was concerning me. If it's at 100%, why does it need to be recalibrating at all?

But that's the point I was trying to gain some clarification and understanding on, as it's not clear in anything I've read (including the link you provided) that this should be happening this early in its life.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Because that is an iPhone 11, it probably shipped with an OS earlier than 14.5. So when you updated, it ran the calibration. I don't see anything to worry about.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Because that is an iPhone 11, it probably shipped with an OS earlier than 14.5. So when you updated, it ran the calibration. I don't see anything to worry about.

I don't know what OS it was on when I got it. I simply let it update to 15.2 without noticing that. But you could very well be right. It came straight from Apple, so I wouldn't have thought it would've been sitting on their shelves since April. But who knows...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone 11 had a battery calibration issue. That got fixed in a software update but it takes a couple weeks to do it. That’s the messages are about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.