Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

journeyforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I come to you with a question. Though this is just my 2nd post, I have lurked for years on this forum.

It will be a bit long

Last Tuesday, I bought a new iPhone 7 from AT&T (one of their pre-paid phones)

So as my local AT&T did not have one in stock, I ordered it from the AT&T website. I ordered it and paid for the phone and got the confirmation. The phone arrived a few days later on Friday.

The phone was new in box and was sealed. The prepaid SIM attached to the back of the box. I opened the phone and put the SIM in the phone. It must have been part of a batch of phones AT&T originally was selling for their contract (postpaid) side of the business as it had a SIM card in the phone already (done at the factory)

After putting the prepaid SIM in the phone I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. I plugged it in and it had the “low charge” symbol displayed. The phone must have been sitting on a AT&T shelf somewhere for a while. After it was charged up to 60%, I left it plugged in and activated the phone and updated the iOS to 14.4. I then used the latest backup from the 6s (made that morning) on the new phone to transfer all my stuff. All was good

I let it charge up to about 80% and then put it in the iPhone 6s’s Pelican case (which fit perfectly) and shut it off until I went back to work the following Friday (I had taken a week off to putter around the house) because I needed the RSA Token activated to use my work laptop. Once I went back to work (aka my spare bedroom) on Friday, I had them send me the emails to activate the token and put it on the charger to fully charge it. I took it off the charger at 8pm Friday night and put it on my dresser. I wanted to use my iPhone 6s for one last weekend before it was shut off and put away as a backup phone or as a glorified iPod Touch. On Saturday around 10am, I checked on it and it was working fine. I did not notice the battery life percentage though.

Around 4pm on that same Saturday, I checked on it and it was dead. When I plugged it in, the phone showed that low charge symbol like it did when I first got it. The battery died in about 18 hours of standby. Once it was sufficiently charged, I investigated. The battery health was 100%. However looking at the list of apps/items that were using the most battery (only 5 of them), the Gmail App was using 59% of the battery. This was even though, it was on standby. I expected it to use something because I must have my emails displayed in real time and not every 20-30 mins. However I looked at the iPhone 6s that I was still using and it showed Battery health of 99% with the Gmail app using only 26% (and that was with me opening and answering emails). Both phones use my wifi

On my iphone 6s, I can usually go about 2 days between charges with what I use my phone for (pics, emails, phone calls (always very short) and texts.

So something was wrong in iPhone 7 land

I decided on a test to see if perhaps the iPhone 7 was in a place that had low signal (on both wifi and cell service) and thus the phone was trying harder to get the emails. I charged up both the iPhones and put them next to each other at the same place on the dresser and noted the time fully charged for both on a paper, Every 5 hours (or more) I would go over and check the phones. I have been surprised as both phones seem to be losing the charge at the same rate. At 11:36pm Sunday (exactly 24 hours after I started the test) both were at 88% battery charge. Though the iPhone 7 has been at 3 bars out of 4 and the iPhone is at all 4 bars, they seem to have the same battery discharge. Both phones have wifi activated).

That is pretty good a rate and much better than I experienced Friday into Saturday.

So what gives? Could the phone having sat for a while caused the battery to be damaged (even though the health said 100%)? Could the Gmail app gone rogue and caused all sorts of battery draw? If so then why does it seem to be working correctly now (I cannot know for sure yet as if I check, then I screw the test up)

Is this a case of the iPhone being quirky? Or iOS 14.4 being quirky? I read that iOS 14.4 seems to have a battery drain issue for some folks but my iPhone 6s with 14.4 is fine?

Is it a case of a defective iPhone 7? The iPhone 7 only gets 3 bars in a place the iPhone 6s gets 4 bars?

As it is under a full warranty, I can take it to the local Apple store and have them check it out but If this is a normal quirk, then any replacement will have the same issue so it might not be worth doing any exchange.

Any advice?

Thanks

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
It sounds like you set it up, and shut it down before it was fully finished with downloading data from your backup. Then when you turned it back on it finished the downloading, hence the extreme battery drain, and now it has finished and the battery drain is back to normal.

when installing from a backup the first day or two is expected to have increased battery drain, since the phone will download all your data in the background.

I would test it out for a week and see if it works as it should, then no need to worry.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
As it is under a full warranty, I can take it to the local Apple store and have them check it out but If this is a normal quirk, then any replacement will have the same issue so it might not be worth doing any exchange.
You may need to take it back to AT&T, not Apple. And please when you post, be brief and to the point. Most folks will skip over a post if it's too long with lots of little details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.