Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rennie94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Hello everybody,
I bought an iPhone 8 one week ago, I noticed a noise (occurs when I tap on the back of the phone) that seems to come from the camera. Do you think is normal or should I sent it back to Apple?
I uploaded a video with the noise https://streamable.com/qjush

Reactions: dcingie

Turtle69Turtle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Hello everybody,
I bought an iPhone 8 one week ago, I noticed a noise (occurs when I tap on the back of the phone) that seems to come from the camera. Do you think is normal or should I sent it back to Apple?
I uploaded a video with the noise https://streamable.com/qjush

Don’t know why’d you’d think it’s normal

It would be getting returned if I were you

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
As someone who has had "camera rattle" and sent at least one phone back b/c of it, I won't tell you what to do but I wouldn't send it back. Does the camera work? There ya go. I sent a 5 back b/c of that and got one that was WORSE. In fact, I've not had an iPhone since the 4s that did not rattle to some degree. It's the optical image stabilization as far as I have read. Try this:

Turn on camera mode and start tapping to reproduce the rattle. Tap consistently but then with your other hand, touch the screen to force it to focus. As it focuses, the rattle will briefly mute itself or maybe even stop for a second as it focuses.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
we get this thread every few months.

its normal, always has been. but no, its not OIS because that hasn't been around as long as the rattle has.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
we get this thread every few months.

its normal, always has been. but no, its not OIS because that hasn't been around as long as the rattle has.

You're right... I think it's just the two-lenses in the camera. the one is on a magnet or something that allows it to "float" in there until it's needed and then it gets grabbed by the magnet and held in place....something like that if I recall. I don't know, it's been years since I looked into it deeper. I really don't care anymore ha ha

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I’ve had every phone since the 4, and that camera rattle has annoyed me for years. Except maybe the 4, I’m not sure if that one did. But definitely the 6, 6+, and 7.

Interestingly, the X has no rattle. For the first time since the 4, it feels super solid.

rennie94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Went to the Apple Store today, every iPhone 8 had this noise. I also spoke to the genius that kindly told me that if I wanted to swap my phone (I’m in the 14 days return time) I was able to. So not a problem apparently, my iPhone is perfect!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Went to the Apple Store today, every iPhone 8 had this noise. I also spoke to the genius that kindly told me that if I wanted to swap my phone (I’m in the 14 days return time) I was able to. So not a problem apparently, my iPhone is perfect!

Yep, they all have that rattle last few years, happy the X doesn't have it finally.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Yep, they all have that rattle last few years, happy the X doesn't have it finally.
IIRC any of the phones with OIS don’t have as much rattle. Due to the way the focus system is captured by the OIS framing. This is the first report I recall seeing (personally) about this issue on the 8.

YMMV though. I can report that my 7 is also silent, as well as others I have tap tested at the store. I recall a thread came up a year ago too.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
IIRC any of the phones with OIS don’t have as much rattle. Due to the way the focus system is captured by the OIS framing. This is the first report I recall seeing (personally) about this issue on the 8.

YMMV though. I can report that my 7 is also silent, as well as others I have tap tested at the store. I recall a thread came up a year ago too.

Okay, I have had it on every phone since the 5 for me, but the 6,7, and 8 were plus models. My wife's 7 had it also. Guess I had a bunch of bad units. And this thread has come up every year for a while.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Okay, I have had it on every phone since the 5 for me, but the 6,7, and 8 were plus models. My wife's 7 had it also. Guess I had a bunch of bad units. And this thread has come up every year for a while.
Wouldn’t say bad examples, It appeared OIS made the issue a little less pronounced, but MMMV (My Memory May Vary) as all of these threads start to mesh together ;) .

Reactions: Lobwedgephil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.