Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello Everyone,

As the subject states for all my electronics, especially phones and my previous iPhones, whenever I buy a new iPhone I try to perform the following steps to make the battery last and 'break it in' properly. For the first few charge cycles I always de-charge the battery and let it get down to 4-5%, and then charge it all the way back up to 100%. I do this about 2-3 times right after I get a new iPhone, and wasn't sure if this procedure is still a good idea with the new iPhone 8+ (last time I did this was on my iPhone 6) to break-in the battery properly. I did this with my iPhone 6 and I had no problems with my battery.

Any thoughts around this breaking in the battery procedure, so I'll have better long-term use? Thanks in advance for everyone's time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You are just wasting your time and a few good cycles on your new battery.

Best to just use your phone and no worry about it. Charge while sleeping at night, repeat.

I charge while sleeping and have no had a single problem with any of my iPhone batteries and I have owned them all.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
This was the practice with the old Nickel-Cadmium, less so with Nickel Metal Hydrate, batteries but it no longer necessary with current Lithium Ion ones. Charge it whenever convenient and keep it topped-up. Frequent deep discharging Lion batteries will reduce their cupcakes quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.