Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Logan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ordered a new iPhone 8 Plus from the apple store, it finally arrived today and it's dead on arrival! Can't believe it. Have ordered a new iPhone every year for awhile and this has never happened.

It doesn't power on at all (no apple logo on the screen), did trouble shooting with Apple over the phone/via live chat to no avail.

Sadly the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away to have it replaced! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm really surprised a dead phone wasn't caught and shipped out.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ordered a new iPhone 8 Plus from the apple store, it finally arrived today and it's dead on arrival! Can't believe it. Have ordered a new iPhone every year for awhile and this has never happened.

It doesn't power on at all (no apple logo on the screen), did trouble shooting with Apple over the phone/via live chat to no avail.

Sadly the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away to have it replaced! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm really surprised a dead phone wasn't caught and shipped out.
I think there’s a 1 year warranty? I would change it out or something

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
If it’s an online order they should be able to replace it via mail. They send you a box to return your old device in.

.Logan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
If it’s an online order they should be able to replace it via mail. They send you a box to return your old device in.
Sadly I just sold my iPhone 7 prior to the shipment arriving, and over the phone they said it'd take over a week to replace. I can't really go without a phone that long.

Very disappointing! The excitement of tracking the shipment and then a $1200 (CAD) product not working out of the box.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Sadly I just sold my iPhone 7 prior to the shipment arriving, and over the phone they said it'd take over a week to replace. I can't really go without a phone that long.

Very disappointing! The excitement of tracking the shipment and then a $1200 (CAD) product not working out of the box.

I see your point. I would be bummed too.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Oh right. When I replaced my 7 plus last year you don’t send the old device until you get the new one. I did have AppleCare plus though.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

Never happened to me this before, Apple is very courteous with your customer, if you can ask them to send you the replacement iPhone overnight so can use it over the weekend. You can tell them that the nearest Apple store is three hours away from you. In the meantime send the defective iPhone back to Apple.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga

just buy a $50 beater phone to use for a week or so. It's not Apple's fault that you live far from any of their stores. If you went into one they'd replace it right on the spot no questions asked within 5 minutes.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
^This, I still have an iPhone 3GS that still gets used with my AT&T SIM every once in a while in between phones or just to get away from all the social media and such on purupose. Still works darn well too for an 8 year old phone.

That being said, plenty of cheap Android phones out there that are half decent. Or even older iPhones like the 5 aren't all that expensive used.

I don't think I've ever had an iPhone DOA, but I have had some other devices do this, some PC's and a Netgear Switch once. Who knows what could have happened to it. A rare occurrence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.