Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I just received my new 8+ 256 and am very disappointed in the display being slightly less bright, and noticeably more yellow. I do have it turned up all the way, true tone off, and auto brightness turned off too. Yes, I can get used to it, but... the advertised 25% brighter display was 1 of the 2 primary reasons I bought this $950 phone.

Is this common? Any suggestions? I'd hate to send it back for a replacement to have the same issue on it.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
It being slightly less blue, and slightly biased towards a yellow color may have some minor affect on the perception of brightness, but clearly it is less bright. When I look at my 6S+, the display is so much better overall brighter and whiter.

Cadrian

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
I had the same problem with two brand new 256gb 8+s. All the settings were good (no true tone, etc) and they were quite yellow and noticeably dimmer compared to every display I put them against (Xs, 8+s, 8s). Even the screen on my old 6 looked better all around. Like, significantly better.

I'm wondering if there was a bad batch (maybe a large one), because the screens were just unacceptable to me for a near 1k device. Everyone at the Apple store agreed with me about the yellows and the brightness, but unfortunately I purchased through my carrier and I wasn't about to get a 2 day old device sent for a screen repair, so I returned it, got another one, and same problem.

It was a huge hassle and finally I just got a regular 8 and let me tell you, this display is worlds better than the two 8+s I had. The effect that true tone has on this display vs the 8+ is markedly different too. Even in dim lighting it is less yellow than the 8+ with true tone off.

Very disappointed to get two in a row like that. I almost went to Android, because at first I got an X but suffered horribly with eye strain and migraines due to the PWM mechanism on the device. Also true tone is completely broken on the Xs I have tried it on (over 10 at this point).

Happy with my 8 now though. Good luck!

Last edited:

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Turn auto brightness back on. It only gets to its max brightness with auto on.

No change.

This is really disappointing. Every time I look at my 6S+, it just jumps out at me how much better it is.
[doublepost=1513208244][/doublepost]
I had the same problem with two brand new 256gb 8+s. All the settings were good (no true tone, etc) and they were quite yellow and noticeably dimmer compared to every display I put them against (Xs, 8+s, 8s). Even the screen on my old 6 looked better all around. Like, significantly better.

I'm wondering if there was a bad batch (maybe a large one), because the screens were just unacceptable to me for a near 1k device. Everyone at the Apple store agreed with me about the yellows and the brightness, but unfortunately I purchased through my carrier and I wasn't about to get a 2 day old device sent for a screen repair, so I returned it, got another one, and same problem.

It was a huge hassle and finally I just got a regular 8 and let me tell you, this display is worlds better than the two 8+s I had. The effect that true tone has on this display vs the 8+ is markedly different too. Even in dim lighting it is less yellow than the 8+ with true tone off.

Very disappointed to get two in a row like that. I almost went to Android, because at first I got an X but suffered horribly with eye strain and migraines due to (presumably), the PWM mechanism on the device. Also true tone is completely broken on the Xs I have tried it on (over 10 at this point).

Happy with my 8 now though. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It looks like I have a decision to make, and 14 days to do it with Verizon. This really sucks. But I can't get over how much better the 6S+ is, and like I said the display was half the reason I purchased the 8+.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just received my new 8+ 256 and am very disappointed in the display being slightly less bright, and noticeably more yellow. I do have it turned up all the way, true tone off, and auto brightness turned off too. Yes, I can get used to it, but... the advertised 25% brighter display was 1 of the 2 primary reasons I bought this $950 phone.

Is this common? Any suggestions? I'd hate to send it back for a replacement to have the same issue on it.

Just my own observations, I owned the iPhone 6s Plus, that display had a much bluer, starker display. The iPhone 8 Plus seems to have a lower calibrated or much warmer display. And if that's the type of iPhone you were coming from with iPhone 6s Plus, I can see that being somewhat of a difference.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Just my own observations, I owned the iPhone 6s Plus, that display had a much bluer, starker display. The iPhone 8 Plus seems to have a lower calibrated or much warmer display. And if that's the type of iPhone you were coming from with iPhone 6s Plus, I can see that being somewhat of a difference.

The sum of my usage of the 8+ at this point is 25% of a full battery charge, perhaps a couple of hours. I might need to just step back and use and enjoy it for a couple of days to adjust. I think there is some validity in what you are saying, I'm used to the bluer display. Thank you for your response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.