Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I've never preordered an iPhone before, I always waited 6 months but this time I might go for it. So I'd just like to ask those of you who have preordered before - based on your experience, how long does it take for a sold out color to come back in stock? Would typically only the base storage model sell out and the second tier last for at least a while longer, or do they tend to sell out at all storage tiers?

Basically I'm trying to find out a) if I hesitate and the 64 gb model sells out, will I have to wait to christmas to get it, and b) would I still be able to get it if I went for the 128 gb model?

I know these things are impossible to predict and cases will vary based on location etc etc, but asking just to get a general sense. Cheers!

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've never preordered an iPhone before, I always waited 6 months but this time I might go for it. So I'd just like to ask those of you who have preordered before - based on your experience, how long does it take for a sold out color to come back in stock? Would typically only the base storage model sell out and the second tier last for at least a while longer, or do they tend to sell out at all storage tiers?

Basically I'm trying to find out a) if I hesitate and the 64 gb model sells out, will I have to wait to christmas to get it, and b) would I still be able to get it if I went for the 128 gb model?

I know these things are impossible to predict and cases will vary based on location etc etc, but asking just to get a general sense. Cheers!

If you order online for shipping, any particular phone *might* be delayed for a few weeks after the launch day inventory goes. It usually seems that lower tier then middle tier goes. If for any reason you don’t preorder successfully, I would try in-store pickup. Stores typically get shipments daily, so if you miss the launch day stock chances are they’ll have more in the following day. I did that for the iPhone 7 Plus in black. It took me 3 days to get the phone but i kept checking store in stock levels and was able to reserve for in store pick up

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I remember the last time Apple has the brand new glossy piano black iPhones, they were the most desirable color and sold out no matter the screen size or capacity.

Everyone had to have that particular color that one year...

One year, I ran into a carrier issue where a certain carrier was sold out and had to wait a month.

This year, I think Apple is doing a better job with the availability (SIM Free unlocked phone availability).

Reactions: Oohara and SHKLMRE

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I think the midnight green might be the only one that has any sort of delay. I think the others will be readily available.
Yea worried about green also. The only ray of hope I see it the camera is also unique, so all the "look at me" people won't need to flock to green to show off they have the new one.

Reactions: Oohara

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA

It's been very typical that even if you pre-order and the date has slipped, they totally sandbag the estimated ship dates because they always start shipping sooner. And like others have said, if you live anywhere near an Apple store you can probably walk in and get one-- the exception being you pick the model & size that magically has the peak demand. In that case you may have to wait a day or two for stock to arrive.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yea worried about green also. The only ray of hope I see it the camera is also unique, so all the "look at me" people won't need to flock to green to show off they have the new one.
I wouldn’t fret. This forum was full of people fawning over the Gold options last year and there weren’t any significant delays.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
there will be no delay in any model because not many people are gonna waste their money on the 11 "pro"

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
How about the YELLOW iPhone 11 - will they sell out ?

Probably no - and I will be happy as I'm choosing YELLOW.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
iPhones aren't as hyped like they were a few years back. Of course the best thing to do is preorder first thing and you'll definitely see delays with the Midnight Green after preorders. The longer you wait, the more they're pushed back (if they sell out at first) one to two months. I was able to preorder the Gold Xs Max last year with a launch date delivery, and from all the hate this year with the Pro, any color will be easy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
iPhones aren't as hyped like they were a few years back. Of course the best thing to do is preorder first thing and you'll definitely see delays with the Midnight Green after preorders. The longer you wait, the more they're pushed back (if they sell out at first) one to two months. I was able to preorder the Gold Xs Max last year with a launch date delivery, and from all the hate this year with the Pro, any color will be easy.

It's not even that they are not has hyped. It is that phones are lasting much longer than they were in the past. For example, the X still runs like a brand new phone. I don't feel the need to upgrade because of performance issues. I don't walk into an apple store and use the new phones and feel like my device is dated. I realistically could use this phone for another 2 years and probably have top performance.

Reactions: BoricuaHec01

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
If the color you want runs out during the preorder stage you can check your nearby Apple stores during release day. I have better luck in the morning after release day when Apple stores open and officially update their in-store stock for pick-up.

Even if millions of people preorder online, not every stock is prioritized for these customers. It’s not really a first come first serve kind of thing due to other factors. Apple is obligated to stock their online stores, brick and mortar stores, and the stores of their affiliates (carriers, etc) for release day. That’s why some people are able to get the phone they want on release day or the day after that without preordering, while those in the online order queue were still waiting for their order to be delivered. Every year you see people canceling their delayed online order after finding stock at Apple’s own brick and mortar stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.