Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehelmick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
I've just uploaded the first version of a new game for the iPhone called Baffle!
Baffle! is a scaled down version of the desktop game.

Play for free at http://bafflegame.com/iphone/

Let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions

baffleScreen2.png

CyberGeek

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
It kept me entertained for awhile. I eventually figured out a fairly simple solution to solving it, though, and because of that there's not much replay value.

I was disappointed that there was no 'congratulations!' screen or anything after solving the puzzle, so I would suggest adding one.

CyberGeek

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
There is a congratulations screen - are you sure you solved it completely?

Ah, my bad, I missed the requirement that everything needed to be unique diagonally, not just horizontally and vertically. The requirement made the game a good deal more difficult. I still figured out a way to do it, though ;). The added difficulty in that diagonal requirement might make me come back to the game when bored, which is good.

My only other suggestions would be more technical. You might want to try to make it so that the game page is either exactly 356px tall or 416px tall. This will either make your page exactly the height of the viewport with the address bar visible or with it scrolled offscreen. As-is, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page the address bar is partially, but not entirely, offscreen.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Give the guy a break. No one is forcing you to play the game. I'm sure there are some people out there who enjoy the game and are appreciative that it exists.

Yes. I saw them posting how they felt about it.

I posted how I felt about it. What is the problem?

mikehelmick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Give the guy a break. No one is forcing you to play the game. I'm sure there are some people out there who enjoy the game and are appreciative that it exists.

Criticism is fine - but saying that its crappy and awful doesn't give me any suggestions on how to make improvements. What are you looking for in this or other puzzle/logic games?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Criticism is fine - but saying that its crappy and awful doesn't give me any suggestions on how to make improvements. What are you looking for in this or other puzzle/logic games?

I didn't say it was crappy, just awful, and I wasn't referring specifically to your web app. I just think these web apps are annoying. They don't work well at all.

Write some native apps and I'll play them, but I'm not going to sit there while Safari loads the page (and ads) and probably crashes half way through the game. It's impractical.

Third party development should be done with native applications, not websites.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You know it's impossible to write native apps (without forcing the user to jailbreak, etc. to install them), right?

If you are trying to make some sort of political statement about Apple's lack of support for third-party native apps, that's fine, but doing it without taking your frustrations out on those of us who are trying to provide folks with free apps until that happens would be a sign of intelligence and maturity.

For the vast majority of iphone owners, web apps are the only alternative right now, and there are some very great apps out there. To claim that they all are "awful" is just silly, and to complain about a particular game that I'm guessing you haven't even tried is equally silly.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
You know it's impossible to write native apps (without forcing the user to jailbreak, etc. to install them), right?

There are people who haven't jailbreak'd? :confused::eek:

If you are trying to make some sort of political statement about Apple's lack of support for third-party native apps, that's fine, but doing it without taking your frustrations out on those of us who are trying to provide folks with free apps until that happens would be a sign of intelligence and maturity.

What are you talking about? You've managed to blow this way out of proportion. You're reading between the lines and putting words in my mouth. Web apps are trash, period. That's all they are, straight up garbage. Every last one of them. Are you just bitter because you've wasted a lot of time on this junk?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/335882/

Did you make those?

If you want to develop good programs, then write native apps. There are more people who have jailbreak'd and use these new native apps than there are people who want to look at this web 2.0 nonsense.

I'm not making a political statement at all. What I'm saying is that we don't need 30 different BeJeweled web apps, especially since they are all garbage.

For the vast majority of iphone owners, web apps are the only alternative right now, and there are some very great apps out there. To claim that they all are "awful" is just silly, and to complain about a particular game that I'm guessing you haven't even tried is equally silly.

I don't care whether or not you think my opinion is silly. It's silly of you to say something like that.

So, I will repeat:

I think web apps are absolutely useless garbage that need to disappear. None of them serve any purpose whatsoever, and they all half work. If you want to make an application, write a native one.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There are people who haven't jailbreak'd? :confused::eek:

What are you talking about? You've managed to blow this way out of proportion. You're reading between the lines and putting words in my mouth. Web apps are trash, period. That's all they are, straight up garbage. Every last one of them. Are you just bitter because you've wasted a lot of time on this junk?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/335882/

Did you make those?

If you want to develop good programs, then write native apps. There are more people who have jailbreak'd and use these new native apps than there are people who want to look at this web 2.0 nonsense.

I'm not making a political statement at all. What I'm saying is that we don't need 30 different BeJeweled web apps, especially since they are all garbage.

I don't care whether or not you think my opinion is silly. It's silly of you to say something like that.

So, I will repeat:

I think web apps are absolutely useless garbage that need to disappear. None of them serve any purpose whatsoever, and they all half work. If you want to make an application, write a native one.

Rather than read any more of your childish nonsense, I'll just add you to my ignore list. You clearly have nothing worthwhile to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.