Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I would rather have...

• Total voters

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Apple keeps making iPhones lighter en thinner, but am I the only one not understanding this? I'd rather have an iPhone that's a couple of millimeters thicker but with a bigger battery instead of the "it will last all day", but doesn't in real life... Except for my dad who uses his iPhone like a Nokia 3310, his iPhone does last from 0600 to 2300Hr without the need of charge.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not sure if I agree that Apple keeps making iPhones ‘thinner and lighter’, especially when the iPhone 8 Plus is one of the heaviest phones and the iPhone X is also fairly heavy due to the glass and stainless bands. I do think if the phone was slightly thicker, it probably would reduce the camera bump, which might appeal to some.

As far as battery life, I really have no complaints, as the X has been excellent with managing the battery fairly well. Of coarse everyone will experience different expectations with the battery through settings and usage.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I get your point, but it feels like they prioritize it and only fail to make them lighter and thinner if it isn't physically possible, but they would if they could, instead of keeping the same size and use the freed up space for extra battery...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I get your point, but it feels like they prioritize it and only fail to make them lighter and thinner if it isn't physically possible, but they would if they could, instead of keeping the same size and use the freed up space for extra battery...

I do agree that Apple is very much about having thin and light devices, as they have proven that through the MacBook, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. I also think its transitional with technology moving forward, components and hardware are improved/refined where they don’t take up much space up, therefore it allows for the device become more compact in the sense of being thinner. The Apple Watch likely being the next device where it starts to become thinner over the course as it evolves.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
When will they hit the wall where they can do nothing to make the device thinner without serious compromise? Will that wall hit Apple sooner than later? I would love to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.