Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I really like my iPhone, especially when jailbroken. If the new iPhone is anything like the leaks and rumors I rather look at the Galaxy S3. Anyone else with me? The S3 torture test survived rather well. I personally like the large screen.

Side note*
Anyone know how the battery life on the S3 is?

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I really like my iPhone, especially when jailbroken. If the new iPhone is anything like the leaks and rumors I rather look at the Galaxy S3. Anyone else with me? The S3 torture test survived rather well. I personally like the large screen.

Side note*
Anyone know how the battery life on the S3 is?

The battery life on the Galaxy S III, I've heard, is better than the One X and will at least last you for one entire day.
However, you have to take a real hands on with the new iPhone first before making any decision. People didn't like the iPhone 4 when it was leaked at first, but it changed the minds of almost every one else when they touched it.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
having played with an S3 i can say that the new iPhone, if it does turn out to be a slightly elongated 4S like it appears, just doesn't cut it anymore.

Retina screen is ok, but to my eyes the Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 screens look far brighter, and colour rich than the iPhone 4S screen, blacks look blacker, colours look brighter and crisper on the Galaxy Screens... that's before you get to the phone feeling better in my hand because its nicely curved and large enough to just sit in my hand.

the iPhone (the 1st gen one) blew the competition (which was Blackberrys, Windows CE mobiles and Symbian Mobiles) out of the water in usability and interface, now, the android phones have caught up, and offer a wider range of phones to suit all hands, usually for free.

The iPhone is, with every iteration, feeling more and more like the "old" phone in the room to me now, no innovation except in adding features by software update (that are then withheld from the older devices purely to force people to upgrade).

Apple need to expand the line, offer people more screen sizes for a start, and, offer the phones at a price that lets the networks offer it for near free, like the android phones (they make enough money of the App store to use it to subsedize the phone) If i can go and pay £32 a month for a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a one of cost of £29 for the phone, or £40 a month for an iPhone + £300+ for the phone, i know which one im going with,

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'm considering a similar decision. If the SIII got Jelly Bean before the 12th it would help its chances. I like the large display and removable battery. The release schedule of Android phones is a big turn off though. I would hate seeing better devices being released every few months and software updates coming out and having to wait or possibly never get them at all.

Zoddino

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I've just sold my S3 because I plan to get the iPhone 5. First of all let me say that it is an AMAZING device and that with Jeally Bean coming soon (it is rumored in November) it'll get many new features as well! But the thing that made me sell it for an iPhone is that i like iOS and I have previously acquired many apps on the App Store that now I'd like using, without even considering that I could take advantage of my iTunes Match subscription and other cloud services. If you love you iPhone and have many services connected to that, you should consider this as well :) because you won't probably find the same ecosystem on Android

Also S3 in very few months got its price lowered a lot and you have to keep in mind that many new phones have been announced with same or better specs than Galaxy S3 (at the moment i'm not remembering a new Samsung with same screen and processor of Galaxy S3 but 12mpx camera and Windows Phone 8)

Last edited:

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I personally can't stand Samsung devices. They have a cheap plastic feel to them and dealing with their warranty service is a hassle. I'm definitely partial with HTC devices though. To date I haven't encountered a better Android device than the One. The US edition has a phenomenal battery life that exceeds that of the iPhones (offsetting the disadvantage of not having a removable battery). It's also remarkably slim without sacrificing durability. The micro ark oxidation also gives it an appealing look. Given that the phones already six months old its impressive that its benchmarks easily rival that of the GSIII.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
S3 hands down. Why go for a smaller screen and features that's been already on android unless ur truly locked into the ecosystem.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Please get an S3. Don't ask the world, just do it. You would look good with the plate held up against your head. Girls will throw themselves all over you. Get it man!!

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I'm considering a similar decision. If the SIII got Jelly Bean before the 12th it would help its chances. I like the large display and removable battery. The release schedule of Android phones is a big turn off though. I would hate seeing better devices being released every few months and software updates coming out and having to wait or possibly never get them at all.

The battery is super easy to replace on the 4 and 4S.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
If you Want a phone that will be supported get an IPhone
Want the bigger screen and next to no manufacture support get the S3

The IPhone has way better support and you can get the Apple care plus that will give you 2 years of warranty and accidental replacements.

Apples OS upgrade (on release day)
Samsungs damaged replacement policy is simple (BUY a New Phone)
Samsungs OS Upgrade path wait months after release or (Buy new phone)

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
If you Want a phone that will be supported get an IPhone
Want the bigger screen and next to no manufacture support get the S3

The IPhone has way better support and you can get the Apple care plus that will give you 2 years of warranty and accidental replacements.

Apples OS upgrade (on release day)
Samsungs damaged replacement policy is simple (BUY a New Phone)
Samsungs OS Upgrade path wait months after release or (Buy new phone)

the thing about updates with android is that android 2.1 has more features than ios5. I can undertstand why apple users are so eager for an update that gives them some functions but in android when you have all those functions and more already its not a big deal.

plymman

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
If the new iPhone is anything like the leaks and rumors I rather look at the Galaxy S3. Anyone else with me?

Yep, I am. I used an S3 and a Note when my iphone was being repaired. The Note is my new replacement phone. They're are both fantastic devices and it's been very difficult to go back to a 3.5" iphone after using them.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I'm really on the fence. I'm debating getting an S3 at lunch today. I am thinking to myself what Cook would have to present to make me stay. I just un-jailbroke my 4 last night to see what the new 5 UI will be like for me. I miss the widgets and having the weather on the lock screen. I could wait for the new device to be jailbroken (if it's possible), but my 4 was rather sluggish when jailbroken and it's back to being "snappy" again. It's a painfully simple feature to offer widgets and customizations for the lock screen. I just don't see why Apple isn't doing it.

To me the build and everything about the One X is more appealing than the S3, except the storage limitations. Only 16 GB and no SD card? Ouch. I was about to go to a 64 gig iPhone so I can't see myself going back to 16. I really like the way the S3 feels in my hand. I just need to spend some time actually using it to see if I really like it more than the iPhone's overall experience. Might have to do it and risk the $35 return fee.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I like my s3 a lot, but I'm still waiting to see what happens with the new iPhone.

Battery life on the s3 is sensational though. Last look I had 19 hours of use from the last charge, being calls, texts, emails, games, browsing etc.. Full on usage.

It also lasts a lot longer navigating over GPS than the 4S does.

Personal preference, but ATM it sure is a refreshing change.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I've been waiting for the iPhone 5, but last week I got the Galaxy S3 instead.

It's a horrible phone isn't it? OMG the plastic.

Sent to you from my iPhone 4s with 1lb of otterbox defender plastic/silicone using tapatalk 2.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I caved and got one at lunch today. Loving it so far. Best Buy said no restock fee for refunds. Hope that kid wasn't lying to me, but I don't honestly expect to return this thing. Still having a hard time getting Apple Lossless files to play on it. Lots more to learn and set up on it, but so far I really like it.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
It's a horrible phone isn't it? OMG the plastic.

Sent to you from my iPhone 4s with 1lb of otterbox defender plastic/silicone using tapatalk 2.

Yeah, it is so horrible! With it's 4.8" screen, NFC, LTE, LED notifications, customizable OS.. Who would release such a device??

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Any one have and S3 and not like the screen? Is it big to put into pockets?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Any one have and S3 and not like the screen? Is it big to put into pockets?

It fits in pockets very easily, the bezel is very slim so it allows it to maximize screen real estate, and minimize overall size of the device. It is also thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.