Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
As of right now, yes. The iPad can't connect to the internet over USB or Bluetooth as of right now. You need to tether via WiFi for the iPad to work. There's a jailbreak program called MyWi that accomplishes this.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I hope the iPad Bluetooth stack gets updated to support tethering. Wifi tethering kills my iPhones battery way too fast. I would love to tether the native way and ditch MyWi completely.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Besides the fact I bet a gizillon dollors u will have to pay a monthly fee for tethering. As of right now I use the iPhone sim trick, I never rely brined the iPad out but when I do I do that

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My guess is that if tethering does become reality then Apple will release new firmware to enable BT and or USB (via the camera connection kit) tethering. To not do so would give Android (Incredible, EVO) a big leg up. We'll just have to wait until June 7.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hope the iPad Bluetooth stack gets updated to support tethering. Wifi tethering kills my iPhones battery way too fast. I would love to tether the native way and ditch MyWi completely.

Why do you think BT tethering won't kill your phone's battery as well?

You should buy a Juicepack Air.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'm leaning towards jailbreaking my 3G to see how well tethering works. My CC was charged by MacMall for my iPad last Friday, so it should be arriving this week.

I can see how well it works. If it works good enough, I can postpone the purchase of the next iPhone.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Oh really? So with my current iPhone plan I have unlimited Internet access. So I will be able to just swap out and use it in the iPad easy as that?

Cool if that's the case, though I do wonder why people are taking out new data plans if they can just swap over sims?

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Oh really? So with my current iPhone plan I have unlimited Internet access. So I will be able to just swap out and use it in the iPad easy as that?

Cool if that's the case, though I do wonder why people are taking out new data plans if they can just swap over sims?

Theres no voice service on the iPad, unless you want miss a lot of calls and txt messages

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Carniphage said:
The iPhone has had tethering since OS3.0.

It's AT&T that does not support it.

C.

I'm still running OS 3.0.1 just for this reason. I'm using the BenM hack for tethering nd it continues to work great! I used 2 Gigs last month. No issues. :)

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
what other service providers allow tethering?? and for how much?

Movistar in Spain for free.
Also, for those with iPhone data plans, they give you a microsim for your ipad and the data plan is free (1 data plan shared for the iphone and the ipad)

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Movistar in Spain for free.
Also, for those with iPhone data plans, they give you a microsim for your ipad and the data plan is free (1 data plan shared for the iphone and the ipad)

Jmmo20 - I'm heading to Spain next month, what carrier do you suggest and how would I go about getting a sim card with a data plan?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Jmmo20 - I'm heading to Spain next month, what carrier do you suggest and how would I go about getting a sim card with a data plan?

Hi dan… I would suggest getting an Orange micro sim.. for 3.5 euro a day you get 350mb at top 3G. after that the speed is limited to 128k but you can still surf. They also have a monthly prepay plan.

Microsims cost 20 euro and come with 20 euro credit.

http://tiendamovil.orange.es/tarjet..._campaign=movil&AAC_PROMO_CODE=522634#comprar

they only deliver to spanish addresses if you order online but I guess you can go into an orange shop and get the sim card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.