Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
I have a sealed new-in-box iPhone SE. Based on the serial number I think it has 11.4.1 on it (I haven't unwrapped the box yet).

Is it worth bothering to jailbreak this? I've heard that iOS 11 ran like a dog on older phones. Since this is a new phone with no prior backups or SHSH2 blobs, there's no way to put any version of iOS 12 on this now that Apple's stopped signing them all, right?

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Personally, if I can jailbreak I will. I have a selection of tweaks (which I find fundamental) that makes the iOS experience that much better for me. Honestly, I would jailbreak that SE. why not. Play around with it and if you get tired of it, go to iOS 13. It’s pretty darn decent on the SE as far as I’m hearing!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a sealed new-in-box iPhone SE. Based on the serial number I think it has 11.4.1 on it (I haven't unwrapped the box yet).

Is it worth bothering to jailbreak this? I've heard that iOS 11 ran like a dog on older phones. Since this is a new phone with no prior backups or SHSH2 blobs, there's no way to put any version of iOS 12 on this now that Apple's stopped signing them all, right?
No one can tell you if it's worth it or not. That's a personal decision that only you can make. We can only tell you what we would do.

Personally, I'd jailbreak it, but that's just my own personal decision.

What's it worth to you? If what you heard is right and iOS 11 runs like a dog on it, does a jailbreak provide enough compensation to you that this is worth enduring?

And that's why only YOU can answer that question.

Fguerouate

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Oregon

Since its new, you will void your warranty if you jailbreak, but honestly, do it. Keep it on iOS 11 and jailbreak.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Since its new, you will void your warranty if you jailbreak, but honestly, do it. Keep it on iOS 11 and jailbreak.

you just restore to stock to get your warranty back

its never permanently invalidated / some genius techs may not even care if its jailbroken depending on the issue (if its obviously hardware, etc)

Reactions: SigEp265

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
I think I did a poor job of wording my question. I was planning on using this as a daily driver for a while, and I'd like way more control over blocking ads/tracking/spyware in appstore apps than Apple gives me.

What I'm asking is: do people feel that iOS 11 would be so slow/crappy that even a jailbroken version isn't worth using, or is it only "kinda" slow/crappy and the jailbreak features might make up for it?

Or another way of wording my question: it'll probably take me a few hours to get the jailbreak going and days trying to debug any crashes and weirdness. What's the probability that I'll decide iOS 11 sucks and it was a waste of time?
[automerge]1571682643[/automerge]
Since its new, you will void your warranty
Do I even have one? Apple officially discontinued the SE over a year ago and I didn't buy it from them anyway.

Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I think I did a poor job of wording my question. I was planning on using this as a daily driver for a while, and I'd like way more control over blocking ads/tracking/spyware in appstore apps than Apple gives me.

What I'm asking is: do people feel that iOS 11 would be so slow/crappy that even a jailbroken version isn't worth using, or is it only "kinda" slow/crappy and the jailbreak features might make up for it?

Or another way of wording my question: it'll probably take me a few hours to get the jailbreak going and days trying to debug any crashes and weirdness. What's the probability that I'll decide iOS 11 sucks and it was a waste of time?
[automerge]1571682643[/automerge]

Do I even have one? Apple officially discontinued the SE over a year ago and I didn't buy it from them anyway.

Blocking advertisements, tracking, and spyware is a solid use case for a jailbreak. There are tweaks such as Untrusted Hosts Blocker which is perfect for what you want to do with it. It's been a while since I've used iOS 11, however, I can't remember absolutely hating it or noticing any form of poor performance. Why not try it out for a few days and go from there! Personally, I always prefer the latest iOS versions over an older and jailbroken version of iOS. I had my iPad Pro 10.5 on the iOS 12 jailbreak for a few weeks before getting tired of it and going to iOS 13.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
If an SE is the desired iDevice, why not find a used one running an iOS that you favor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.