Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Here's latest results: 2nd charging cycle. 1st one was discharged completely (intentional decision). This time charged to the maximum, left in a sleep mode. Activated after 5 h to 97%. As I started using it (Messages, apps such as Twitterrific, Tweetlogix, System Preferences, Mail, no internet browsing whatsoever) it began dropping the charge at 1% per several minutes and fell down to 84% before putting it to sleep after 1 hour of usage. I woke it up after some time, the % still where I left it but nevertheless it's supposed to withstand more intensive load - I'm not streaming games, TV shows or using it on heavy YT HD 4K videos! Heading to the nearest AARS.
It usually takes some number of cycles for a battery to get up to its capacity and perform closer to or at its peak performance.

Reactions: HitBit

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Couple things bugging me about this thread.

1) The battery drain on iOS 12 with an SE is normal. The people saying it’s abnormal must be seeing something I’m not. I purchased a new SE and upgraded to iOS 12, first thing I noticed was battery drain. While iOS 12 runs smooth on the SE, you’re sacrificing a little bit of battery for a new os. Plain and simple, a new phone is not going to change that.

2) To the guy going nuts over the pre-installed apps, you just spent an hour arguing with and Apple sales associate and they were right. When is the last time you set up a new iPhone? ALL new iPhones come with garage band, keynote, pages, etc. installed. Every.single.iphone. Has these apps when setting up the iPhone as new.

My new SE had these programs installed too. I activated the phone as NEW since with only 32GB of storage I can't restore from my X backup.

HitBit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Here's latest results: 2nd charging cycle. 1st one was discharged completely (intentional decision). This time charged to the maximum, left in a sleep mode. Activated after 5 h to 97%. As I started using it (Messages, apps such as Twitterrific, Tweetlogix, System Preferences, Mail, no internet browsing whatsoever) it began dropping the charge at 1% per several minutes and fell down to 84% before putting it to sleep after 1 hour of usage. I woke it up after some time, the % still where I left it but nevertheless it's supposed to withstand more intensive load - I'm not streaming games, TV shows or using it on heavy YT HD 4K videos! Heading to the nearest AARS.
If you are able to hit around 6 hours of Screen On time from 100% to 20% with normal use, then your device should be ok. If it is drastically inferior, then maybe something is wrong, and it can be either software or hardware related. I assume your battery health is at 100%.
[doublepost=1551007918][/doublepost]
It usually takes some number of cycles for a battery to get up to its capacity and perform closer to or at its peak performance.
I second this.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Anybody still following?
Long story short: had 2 repair tickets with my local APSP (Apple Premium Service Provider) in the course of 1.5 months, corresponding to 2 diagnostic runs (the 1st one was performed on my request, the 2nd was part of the repair routine regarding completely different repair case). They keep telling there're no problems.
Meanwhile, here're my findings. Both times during the repair period I was given an iPhone for temporary use. The second time I took a series of screenshots of the temporary iPhone's battery discharging chart using Apple's supplied Battery app. I took analogical screenshots earlier on my iPhone. Compare on your own and the results are quite telling. Their iPhone showed significantly better battery consumption rates, better holding charge figures per 1% than mine. On top of that, the max battery capacity of their iPhone was 90% compared to 99% of my iPhone.

Doing the repair they reset max capacity indicator so now showing 100% again.

My iPhone SE

IMG_0119.PNG

Their iPhone SE

IMG_0318.PNG

My iPhone SE

IMG_0115.PNG

Their iPhone SE

IMG_0314.PNG

The chart representing the battery drain in my iPhone is a steady slope not depending on a usage whereas the chart on their iPhone is stairs matching the actual activity more closely.

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
My work phone is a SE (not my choice, hate this phone with its tiny screen).
Battery life is bad but it’s probably due to the fact i have to be constantly connected to VPN.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
My sisters SE is having issues and she wants me to buy another one. i found brand new ones on ebay, but this thread got me worried.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Found this gem of a thread because I have a perfectly functioning 1st gen SE with a battery health capacity of 100%. The unexplained battery drain is still a problem. Updated to iOS 15.4, let the phone sit for 3 days after the update, updated all apps at the beginning of the 3 day wait, and made sure it was charged to 100% before testing.

Sure enough, with no background updates running, and all apps closed, phone was down to almost a 50% charge after 8 hours. This happened with the phone sitting on my desk and nothing more. It's a shame Apple, allowing this 1st gen SE to still get iOS updates, would let this happen.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Found this gem of a thread because I have a perfectly functioning 1st gen SE with a battery health capacity of 100%. The unexplained battery drain is still a problem. Updated to iOS 15.4, let the phone sit for 3 days after the update, updated all apps at the beginning of the 3 day wait, and made sure it was charged to 100% before testing.
Without a SIM card, my SE 2016 running iOS 14 (latest version of that) lasts about 3 days with zero use (i.e. 100% standby). The battery capacity is at 80%.

Reactions: spartan1967

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Without a SIM card, my SE 2016 running iOS 14 (latest version of that) lasts about 3 days with zero use (i.e. 100% standby). The battery capacity is at 80%.
Oh, that's a good one. The SE is not my daily driver so might as well see of that's the cause. Will advise. Thanks.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Yes, SIM card seems to be issue here. When I put the SIM card in SE22, my iPhone 8 had very little idle drain.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Tried with SIM card out. Battery still draining with no use of phone.

After 50% drain I look and see what was the cause & it only showed Settings as what used the battery. I'm thinking it's because that was what I was in last.

No background and no other apps open. This is a shame. I know the phone is 6 years old but if you are going to keep it in your updates, then support it properly.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Tried with SIM card out. Battery still draining with no use of phone.

After 50% drain I look and see what was the cause & it only showed Settings as what used the battery. I'm thinking it's because that was what I was in last.

No background and no other apps open. This is a shame. I know the phone is 6 years old but if you are going to keep it in your updates, then support it properly.
What is the battery capacity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.