Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Seriously, what’s going on? I already have auto brightness turned off in Accessibility>display and text size

yet everytime I start using my phone from screen off position, the brightness just starts off at 50%

and this issue has only started since yesterday. Had the iPhone se for two weeks now and never had this issue

is there some other secret auto brightness setting that I should know about?

Laura1122

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Problem with 11 pro Max also! I’ve turned off everything I turn down everything I even did a reset which I should not have to do on a $1200 phone. Only to have the same issue again. Somebody said when it’s hot out. Well it’s 63° out today it’s overcast I’ve been outside 10 minutes and my screen is already dim. I got this phone for a good camera because I take pictures at the pool in the summer. Guess that’s not happening this summer! I should’ve stuck with my cheap android, it never did this.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Problem with 11 pro Max also! I’ve turned off everything I turn down everything I even did a reset which I should not have to do on a $1200 phone. Only to have the same issue again. Somebody said when it’s hot out. Well it’s 63° out today it’s overcast I’ve been outside 10 minutes and my screen is already dim. I got this phone for a good camera because I take pictures at the pool in the summer. Guess that’s not happening this summer! I should’ve stuck with my cheap android, it never did this.

Then contact Apple... if a device is faulty, that's what a warranty is for. That's not normal behaviour. You have 14 days to return the device no questions asked as long as it's not damaged.

To you and the OP - Backup the phone and try a reset, sometimes software can have issues on any device. Did you restore from backup? Also double check all your auto brightness settings.

oceanfrr

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
JUST Bought the IPHONE SE 2020.. Same issue here. Shock to see it was dimmed for so long. I couldn't even see what buttons to press! I went to the settings and saw the auto brightness were off. Like the phone HAD A MIND OF ITS OWN. There is completely no reason for this. This is my 2nd day using it. I am not expecting any bugs and now I lost trust in this. (But I guess with new phones come with new bugs). Deem I think......... EDIT: I have returned the phone. Can't they make a product right?

Please send this to Apple Bug feedback on their webite so they can fix this issue with a future updates? AND OR recalls
/ whatever they need to do! Make sure to specify that your "AUTO BRIGHTNESS WAS OFF and that your screen dims 50% or more randomly". For me it felt dimmer, like it was very skim and couldn't see anything when I was pressing the buttons.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I used to have to reset my phone to my display settings with every operating system update, but I haven't noticed such a problem while having the automatic light/dark functionality enabled. 50% brightness seems acceptable on the SE 2020.

viktorhun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
Same issue with iPhone se 2022 I have a old SE 2016 and never do this … 🥲

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I had this issue with an 8 plus. My 6s never did this unless it was really hot. Not sure what to make of it.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
is it possible that the higher performance produces more heat?

Sure? It’s also possible that the glass back design of the eight does not dissipate heat as well as the aluminum back of previous phones. It’s also possible that the larger screen in the 8 plus produces more heat or is more sensitive to it.

Reactions: viktorhun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.