Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
You can share it with other family members, just have your Apple ID as the main family sharing ID, then either invite them, or add them by having them sign into their apple IDs with your device.

Edit: If you mean like how many times, I think it goes by the ID. I think just 1 time it can be added, if you add it, don't cancel until you're sure, cause it ends right away.
A bit confused. My apologies. My family and I dont share apple ids for the most part. But is it per family or per apple ID? Thanks.

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
A bit confused. My apologies. My family and I dont share apple ids for the most part. But is it per family or per apple ID? Thanks.
Oh ok, I think it's per apple ID, so only 1 time you can redeem the offer with your ID. By family do you mean like can each family member get 1 free year on their apple ID? If so yes, it goes by their Apple ID.

As for sharing, I meant Family Sharing option, you can share your subscriptions with other family members.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Just got the 1 year free with 12 pro. I see a few things but when I find something I like, it asks me to rent or buy. YES, I am logged in.

Am I looking in the wrong areas? Actually would like some guidance.

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
I can’t even make it work...
I didn’t buy anything eligible last year so this years IPhone purchase makes me eligible for the one year promo offer... but it doesn’t show up for me. It just offers the standard one week trial...
no idea how I can make it work...

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just got the 1 year free with 12 pro. I see a few things but when I find something I like, it asks me to rent or buy. YES, I am logged in.

Apple TV+ is a content channel on Apple TV, and it's an iOS/iPadOS app. If you're seeing buyable/rentable content, it sounds like you're on Apple TV, but not in the Apple TV+ channel there.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Only one offer per Apple ID and only one offer per family if you’re part of a Family Sharing group, regardless of the number of devices you or your family purchases.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK

On your iPhone 12 go to Settings and there should be a message near the top of the screen alerting you to 12 months free Apple TV+.

I've just set mine up today having bought a new iPhone 12 and having received an Apple TV box. When setting up the Apple TV device on my TV I had to log into my Apple ID and automatically took me to the free subscription from my iPhone 12.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
On your iPhone 12 go to Settings and there should be a message near the top of the screen alerting you to 12 months free Apple TV+.

I've just set mine up today having bought a new iPhone 12 and having received an Apple TV box. When setting up the Apple TV device on my TV I had to log into my Apple ID and automatically took me to the free subscription from my iPhone 12.
Thanks. Got the free year yesterday, apparently thought there would be more to watch. If this is it, not worth $5 a month to me.

Maybe it will get better.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Okay, here's my beef with Apple. It was my understanding that anyone who purchased an iPhone somewhat recently was eligible to receive Apple TV+ for 1 year for free. But here's the catch. This would normally be true, but in my case it isn't because I already did this last year with my iPhone 11 Pro and I canceled the subscription one week before they would start to charge me $4.99/month on my Apple account. So because of that, I can't get the promo again.

So I called Apple and they said the promo is only good one time per Apple ID. The rep told me I could create a new Apple ID and get the one year Apple TV+ promo but that's just ridiculous. Who is going to create a new Apple ID just to take advantage of this promo when they have already purchased who knows what content on their regular Apple ID account? I just think Apple needs to make this more clear on their website instead of hiding it in their tiny fine print. After all, is it really going to kill their bank account by giving me another one year of Apple TV+ considering I just handed them $1100 for my new iPhone???????

It's $5/month. Quit your whining. Such a baby.

Reactions: mallbritton

locrumo

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2020
Be careful where do you buy your apple toy if you want that rubbish appletv +. Must be authorized reseller or directly from Apple to get the free year!

After activating my new phone there is no option to activate the promo, i bought it from a chinese online store to save money and Apple support says the seller must be authorized... so the promo is not valid. AppleSupport confirmed i can subscribe to Apple TV+ and buy the Apple care+ in these cases not important if the reseller is authorized or not. LOL What a POF company is! Luckly I saved a lot money so i can pay my netflix subscription during a year and half.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.