Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just got a new iPhone yesterday. Yay!
I did my first setup in a real hurry. As I always do, I set it up as a new device and then signed in to my Apple ID/iCloud. Everything synced directly (as it always does).

I found all my data had synced, including all old texts/iMessages. Very neat. Everything worked perfectly.

Stupid as I was, I then decided to redo the setup process when I got home. I signed out from iCloud and “Erased device”. Then re-did it. As always, by setting up as a new device. Now, no matter how I try, I just can’t get it to sync properly now.

No matter what I do...

- iMessage history won’t sync
- Favorite contacts won’t sync (contacts do sync)
- Widgets won’t sync (I.e Apple news, maps et.c are not appearing like they did first time).

It’s as if the first setup now stops certain things from syncing the second time.

I left it connected to Wi-Fi overnight but that didn’t help. I do get new messages sent to my new phone, but the history is all gone this time.

Here are the steps I’ve already tried:

- Logout/login to iCloud (new device)
- Toggle on/off iMessage (new device)
- Toggle on/toggle off Messages in Cloud (both old and new device)
- Soft reset on both devices
- Redoing the setup process several times on the new device (also tried the “Scan new phone feature” from my old one.)
- Left overnight connected to Wi-Fi

Nothing works. What did I do differently during the first sync?

Btw:

- I don’t have enough space in iCloud to backup my old phone.
- I don’t have access to my computer, so can’t backup to iTunes and restore my new device.

I’d be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Feel free to lock this thread, I did a backup of the previous phone and restored the new one from iTunes. Solved it.

Reactions: internetrando

Laisha

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
Will backing up a previous phone and restoring it like that delete the messages that happened after you got the new phone but before the time you restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.