Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camresu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Southwest, USA
Now that it's been 8 months since launch, I am wondering if there is any case, protective measures or handling solution to the iPhone X stainless scratch "epidemic" I have heard so much about? I have managed to keep my last 5 generations of iPhones like new by just using a quality case and tempered glass and would like to feel like I have a chance to do the same with this phone.

Thanks so much!

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Put a skin over it like I did. A couple creases need to be fixed but it's pretty easy to put on. Protects the entire phone except the screen.... which is where a tempered glass screen protector comes into play for that.
bc32ae8bbb61b3668396f0225a5cbabb.jpg

Reactions: bojack and camresu

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I got my X at launch. I have had an Apple leather case on it most of the time with no screen protector. My phone is like new and I don't baby it. I'm thinking about going naked for the summer as I do have Apple Care+.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Yup I knew I’d get some of these replies.

I am using the thin MagCase from Pitaka. Very light and thin, yet it protects the back.
Have my X now for about 5 months, just a few very minor scratches on the front.
So just use a screen protector if you would like to have a pristine screen.

Reactions: camresu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I got my X at launch. I have had an Apple leather case on it most of the time with no screen protector. My phone is like new and I don't baby it. I'm thinking about going naked for the summer as I do have Apple Care+.

Apple care + doesn’t entitle you to get a replacement for scratches.

Reactions: chabig and crf8

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Now that it's been 8 months since launch, I am wondering if there is any case, protective measures or handling solution to the iPhone X stainless scratch "epidemic" I have heard so much about? I have managed to keep my last 5 generations of iPhones like new by just using a quality case and tempered glass and would like to feel like I have a chance to do the same with this phone.

Thanks so much!

As a sidenote, if you do get any scratches on the stainless bands, I would invest in a Cape cod cloth, which are available on Amazon, and will easily remove any fine scratches on the stainless bands. But I would not use that cloth on the space gray stainless bands, because of the physical vapor deposition coating.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
50‘000$ stainless steel luxury watches do scratch, no one ever called it epidemic.
The watches sometimes get polished. Same with any stainless steel phone.
Cape Cod, as mentioned.

Reactions: chabig and camresu

cschmeer

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
I'm actually surprised at how little the stainless steel scratches. I have a single tiny scratch that's only visible when really looking for it and that's after half a year of use without a case!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
In the past, going completely caseless for me has eventually lead to damage quite worse than scratches that has triggered an Applecare+ replacement.

I can’t stand any blemish on my devices. Literally not a speck. I still go with a bumper case though.

Reactions: Tibits

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can’t stand any blemish on my devices. Literally not a speck. I still go with a bumper case though.

I don’t think you’re being sarcastic, but I also can’t stand certain scratches or marks on my stainless Apple Watch or iPhone for example, which I know is something that can easily happen and is expected, but it’s still annoying. I’m also one that likes to everything neat and clean, similar to how I like to detail my cars regularly.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Don’t necessarily get a 50‘000 $ watch, but get a life.
I don’t think you’re being sarcastic, but I also can’t stand certain scratches or marks on my stainless Apple Watch or iPhone for example, which I know is something that can easily happen and is expected, but it’s still annoying. I’m also one that likes to everything neat and clean, similar to how I like to detail my cars regularly.

Little advice from a "precious stainless watch" owner: Scratches happen. I do not like them either. It is kind of "the life of the watch". I let it happen and do sometimes remove them with Cape Cod towels. Not all of it can get removed, but the watches look shiny again.

I just started to remove the case from my iPhone X, put it in a nice pouch, use it like my wachtes. I guess this is the way, it is meant to be. And it is great that way - it is designed to be used that way.

... not trying to offend any case lover. The saddle brown Apple case is something extraordinary.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Yep wasn’t being sarcastic. I’m exactly the same.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Impossible to keep it without scratches unless you use a skin or decal, but then the phone will look ugly with one of those on so unfortunately it’s a lose lose situation, however I have used metal polish on the stainless steel band and it restores it to like new condition.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The surgical stainless is a softer dense metal, which will naturally accrue-micro scratches over the course of usage with or without a case. Cases can cause the stainless bands to scratch, because of rubbing or if there is debris trapped inside. The same applies to the 316 L stainless used on the stainless Apple Watch, it takes very little effort to scratch the stainless casing, there is not much you can do, only besides polishing it every once in a while.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
caseless since launch and the phone looks brand new. ive polished the band once with a cap cod cloth but probably wont as often(I was curious). Ill do it again in a few months maybe. The phone looks great. best most durable iPhone ive had honestly. Besides the 4's. 5's with the chambered edge showed Knicks on the black model if you just breathed on it. 6+ was pretty good and 7+ had a few. I like the all glass phone with stainless it never looked old to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.