Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It's discovered that Android devices use location services when those services are set to disabled. iPhone users laugh and mock.

It's discovered that Apple devices use location services when those services are set to disabled. iPhone users nod and accept.

The fact that Apple releases a statement after they are caught (just like with those Siri recordings) shows their true nature. If privacy was truly a priority for Apple, this information would have been disclosed before the fact and a toggle provided when such hardware was released.

If you dont understand the HUGE difference between what Android devices did and this nothingburger, then there is no use explaining it further. You have made your mind up that Apple is this and that prior to today anyway and dont care about the facts.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I dont care either way really. The explanation seems to jive with what was found and isnt "spying" on you but using the location for other things like to see if a feature can be used in a region (versus doing what say Pixel 4 did and just not sell the phone there)

I dont see that as a legit privacy concern if it stays on device; the chip says am I in this region? No. Ok. Am I i this region? No. ok.
Tell me what the legit privacy concern is if google knows I searched for peanut butter last week.

Apple is a hypocrite.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
If I'm reading this right, if you turn off location services entirely then it doesn't continue to track location. This is only if you disable all location services for every app? If that's the case then it's a non issue. All they are doing is adding a toggle for the wideband as if it were an app. If you're that concerned then just turn off location service entirely.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Tell me what the legit privacy concern is if google knows I searched for peanut butter last week.

Apple is a hypocrite.

Google is on the open internet. This is ON DEVICE (actually read the article); never leaves your device.

Im not so sure what is so hard to understand about the clear and obvious differences.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Well now that it’s public knowledge they will offer a toggle

If it's a legal requirement, they can't offer a toggle.

I think the best they could do is to offer a UWB toggle. And/or offer a toggle to turn it off when overall wiFi setting is off.

There are already similar restrictions in place for 5gHz wiFi, and WiFi devices - whether in a phone, your home WiFi router, etc. But it doesn't work using GPS, and it is not ideal. 5gHz channels are restricted in the vicinity of airports. The way it works is the router/phone/whatever checks to see if it "hears" the airport navigation signals. If it does, then the channels that might interfere are disabled.

Using GPS as an additional factor would be better.

This is a public safety issue, so please consider before using a work-around (which is possible with some open-source router software, for instance).

I realize 5gHz is a separate concern, but I'd imagine similar reasoning. The spectrum space is shared with other uses, and some of those I imagine are critical for public safety and/or defense. blocking out part of that spectrum in specific places - whether by listening for signals for by geographic "redlining" using GPS, etc. increases availability to consumers - otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to make this spectrum available for consumer UWB at all.

Apple and others do need to communicate more clearly, and offer options. Just know that they won't be able to offer any "toggle" that allows your device to operate outside of legal requirements.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Playing the devil's advocate here - I think the concern is that you're under the impression that location services are turned off. And while it's mostly true, it's not entirely true. There should be some disclaimer and/or prompt the reminds you that location services will still be required for the U1 to remain on, or probably the better alternative, to just disable the U1 wideband when location services is completely turned off. With that said, I don't see the big deal either, assuming Apple's response is accurate and not hiding anything.

Apple think it's good design to pop up a box of text when disabling WiFi so why not the same with Location Services?

As usual Apple invades user privacy until explicitly told not to and then they put out an update a month later to stop.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Hmmm so they say now they are caught that they will provide a toggle for turning it off for one use

But not what other uses of functions it may or may not have

it seems to me that this embedded tracking can easily be used to stop delivery of content or apps that VPN would otherwise allow to be delivered

Typical drip feed of disclosure after the event by Apple

Reactions: turbineseaplane

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
The toggle should have been provided as soon as the feature required location services. It's obviously not necessary for the phone to work (turning off Location Services completely disables it for UWB too) but saying "we have system services that we don't tell you about that collect location data" isn't very smart or useful to us users.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
The toggle should have been provided as soon as the feature required location services. It's obviously not necessary for the phone to work (turning off Location Services completely disables it for UWB too) but saying "we have system services that we don't tell you about that collect location data" isn't very smart or useful to us users.

Right but the VAST majority of the public has no idea what UWB is, let alone where their location setting are for the system at all. Making a toggle doesnt change the fact that UWB is on by default to help with Airdrop (and other features like tags yet to be released). If users have to figure out what it is to turn it on then there is no point in it being there at all. That is not Apple's userbase.

And when on there is a legal issue in some countries with the spectrum bands the UWB chip uses. It is not an issue everywhere (the US obviously is fine) but since the same phone is basically sold everywhere there has to be a way to disable the chip from transmitting and receiving in that country no matter what the user wants. It is a legal requirement of that country.

There HAS to be a way to know what country the user is in and disable the chip by law to not interfere with whatever that country uses that spectrum for. As you cannot ask the user to determine what the laws in that county are or are not.

Even if there is a toggle, this current way still HAS to exist. There is no way around it. Or Apple has to sell neutered phones there or not at all (like the Pixel 4 with its radar tech and regions like India). Its purely a legal issue here despite the few tin foil hat arguments without any factual backing.

So yes, it is a requirement for the phone to work in other some countries yes- we cant get pigeon holed into the US ways as the only way things are.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Apple today provided more context in a statement to TechCrunch, explaining that the new iPhone models that have a U1 ultra wideband chip are using location data to make sure they're not in restricted areas.

Sorry, but I call BS here. I think this is just to cover up Apple's error.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
If you dont understand the HUGE difference between what Android devices did and this nothingburger, then there is no use explaining it further. You have made your mind up that Apple is this and that prior to today anyway and dont care about the facts.

I'm actually quite technical-minded and certainly do understand the difference; my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

That being said, as per the last paragraph in my comment, I do have an issue with Apple. They only address privacy concerns when those concerns become public knowledge. This shows privacy is a marketing ploy and not a true concern for them.

Edit: Further to that... some parts of the Settings app let the user know the consequences of disabling things. If I turn off Bluetooth it states location services may be limited. There is absolutely no reason to toggle Location Services off but still have them be on. If I toggle them off, I want them off. If it's going to impact usability, then put a little note in there letting me know UWB will be disabled as a consequence; that would be fine and consistent with the rest of the operating system.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
If I'm reading this right, if you turn off location services entirely then it doesn't continue to track location. This is only if you disable all location services for every app? If that's the case then it's a non issue. All they are doing is adding a toggle for the wideband as if it were an app. If you're that concerned then just turn off location service entirely.

Thank you! I believe you are right. This should be reiterated. This isn’t apple stealing your data, just a weird quirk. It should be corrected but there is nothing nefarious here.

Reactions: 1144557

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I'm actually quite technical-minded and certainly do understand the difference; my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

That being said, as per the last paragraph in my comment, I do have an issue with Apple. They only address privacy concerns when those concerns become public knowledge. This shows privacy is a marketing ploy and not a true concern for them.

Edit: Further to that... some parts of the Settings app let the user know the consequences of disabling things. If I turn off Bluetooth it states location services may be limited. There is absolutely no reason to toggle Location Services off but still have them be on. If I toggle them off, I want them off. If it's going to impact usability, then put a little note in there letting me know UWB will be disabled as a consequence; that would be fine and consistent with the rest of the operating system.

Sorry but still an incredibly poor example/analogy and I stand by that.

If you want to compare something done solely on device (regardless of personal feelings about a toggle) and a company BLATANTLY and openly stealing your data for advertising/metrics/etc sending it back to home base as their whole business model and reason the OS is given out for free to get more users and more data; well they are not even on the same planet of levels of abuse.

It would be like saying tapping someone on the back of the hand with 1 finger and cracking someone upside the head with a bat are both battery. Technically yes both wrong by the strict rules, but not even close to the same realm of severity.

That is if data that doesnt even leave your device could even be considered a privacy violation since it never left your possession.

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Hmm. Sorry, I had to read the title header 3 times to understand it.... and it still doesn’t make sense.

That’s because they tried to write a title that didn’t sound too negative for Apple.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
What is your legitimate privacy concern being griped about?

If Apple are correct and this is all being done on-device, there is no legitimate privacy concern.

location services are still disabled. That means - any other App that may want to know your location and sends that data to 3rd parties still gets zero information. The one App that is still allowed to request your location is known not to store it or send it off-device to any server - not Apple's server, and not any 3rd-party server. It has a list of locations where UWB is not allowed, and turns it off if you're in one of them. That's all it does.

Privacy is all about other people; you can't have privacy from yourself - that's nonsensical. So privacy concerns require that your data is either stored (for others to maybe find) or sent directly to others for storage or processing. This does neither. Possibly a battery-life concern (I'm guessing low-power mode turns UWB off), but no privacy concern.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Interesting. A clear explanation of the need to monitor location in regards to a function with legal restrictions. It is monitoring that happens strictly on the phone. And the tin foil hat set still keeps posting about "evil Apple" and "evil Tim". More and more I understand how the flat earthers are gaining new followers.

If you seriously think this is an issue I encourage you not to use electronic devices, not to allow others to use electronic devices near you, nor vote. That last one in particular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.