Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluxtransistor

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
So Spotify released the Car Thing.

1618564594087.png

Vaguely reminiscent of an iPod in that its sole purpose is playing music, except it sits in the car.
But, alas, it seems to be heavily locked down! It requires an active Spotify subscription and an internet connection.

For $70, I would buy this if it wasn't Spotify-only.

Reactions: SigEp265

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
We can dream...

The oldest portable music device I have is my 32GB 4th gen iPod Touch running iOS 6. The only thing it still does is play music offline, but the battery isn't so hot any more. Yes, it would be nice for nostalgic sake to get a new classic, but as already mentioned, there's a major push for streaming services now. What I also have is a cheap 2GB Sony Mp3 with one long custom playlist for snowboarding, ain't no time to remove gloves and to fish an expensive touch screen device out of my pockets.

For total nostalgia I have my vinyl collection at home which I play through a Technics amp connected to B&W speakers from 1980. Works like an absolute charm.

Any one more thing....working out on a treadmill, you just bend down and pick it/them up, assuming you didn't stand on it/them, but suppose you're snowboarding, mountain biking, canoeing etc, and your $250 AirPods fall out your ear? My EarPods often fall out, and they seem to be exactly the same design.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
+1 to all other comments saying this wouldn't make financial sense to Apple this day in age. Hell, I'd reckon we'd see a return of the 3.5mm headphone jack before we'd get a return of the iPod Classic!

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I just wish there was an easy way to play HiFi music with a modern Apple device. iTunes and the default Music app won't even play flac natively and it's a pain in the butt to keep both flac and alac copies of my music if I want to use iTunes for it. The push for wireless headphones and the need to use an external DAC on iDevices to get the most out of music is also a big turn-off.

Granted, this could be solved by giving the iPhone a robust internal DAC and native flac support.

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
I just wish there was an easy way to play HiFi music with a modern Apple device. iTunes and the default Music app won't even play flac natively and it's a pain in the butt to keep both flac and alac copies of my music if I want to use iTunes for it. The push for wireless headphones and the need to use an external DAC on iDevices to get the most out of music is also a big turn-off.

Granted, this could be solved by giving the iPhone a robust internal DAC and native flac support.

Yeah, unfortunately it's a feature 95% of people wouldn't care about

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, unfortunately it's a feature 95% of people wouldn't care about
I know, but I'm still baffled as to why Apple won't implement native flac support in their Music app and iTunes, especially when their Documents app does support it. The f stands for free, for crying out loud!

Reactions: ASentientBot

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
I know, but I'm still baffled as to why Apple won't implement native flac support in their Music app and iTunes, especially when their Documents app does support it. The f stands for free, for crying out loud!
?. That one I am with you on, especially when they market their premium computers as devices for creative professionals

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

View attachment 1758590

Vaguely reminiscent of an iPod in that its sole purpose is playing music, except it sits in the car.
But, alas, it seems to be heavily locked down! It requires an active Spotify subscription and an internet connection.

I don’t understand this thing, most new cars have CarPlay and android auto built in. Those that don’t just get a new stereo for your car. Mine was a unit built in to the dash but there’s adaptors and 99% of the time it’s not a big deal and you get a lot more functionality.

applesque

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
USA/Israel
To be honest, Apple Music still stores (protected) files locally. It's still quite frustrating to have to wear a brittle new iPhone when going for a run, and there appears to be no vaguely modern solution to this.
Apple Watch? I download a large chunk of music to Apple music on my watch, and enjoy going for a run with my GPS, wallet, and music on my wrist.

Reactions: Chung123

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
To be honest, Apple Music still stores (protected) files locally. It's still quite frustrating to have to wear a brittle new iPhone when going for a run, and there appears to be no vaguely modern solution to this.
Well, the Apple Watch can act like an iPod Nano with access to Apple Music. When I go out for a run or with my dog I just leave the phone at home, I have access to all my music through my Watch (and if you don't have the Cellular version you get local storage).

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

View attachment 1758590

agree -- i want something like that but with CarPlay onboard.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I don’t understand this thing, most new cars have CarPlay and android auto built in. Those that don’t just get a new stereo for your car. Mine was a unit built in to the dash but there’s adaptors and 99% of the time it’s not a big deal and you get a lot more functionality.
With my infiniti it's impossible to change the headunit as the whole car runs through that -- this is the same with many newish cars. it's super annoying.

ntlman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2005
I bought a modded iPod 5.5 in February, and I can no longer handle listening to music via any other source I own (computer, iPhone/iPad, component stereo), save the car. It was not cheap, and had it been made by Apple directly and priced higher, I still would have gotten it.

I'm thinking (dreaming) a 20th anniversary iPod could run on watchOS to accommodate a shuffle wheel (crown) interface. For the most part it would just be an SSD drive with a battery, plus a headphone jack + w1 chip + DAC chip. Don't see why you would need more than an A12 to run the rest. Doesn't look likely now, but many never thought they'd see Apple bring back MagSafe, SD card slots, and HDMI ports to the MBP.

Still, we're not the only ones dreaming of this: https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/4/22561092/apple-bring-back-ipods-2021-music-services

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
To be honest, I just don't think we'll see Apple put the engineering resources into a single-use device when they'd rather sell you a multipurpose tool that can also draw you into other services. It's just not their MO anymore.

I think the best we can hope for is the the "rumors" of a meaningfully updated iPod touch come to pass. Even this I would say had no chance until Apple rolled out  Music losses where the highest tier is unusable on all their devices with out a 3rd party accessory. That seems un-Apple like. It could be that it's such a niche of a niche that they don't care or maybe we'll get an iPod touch where the promotional focus is music (even hi-res) yet it runs iOS so it can also be a gateway to other paid services.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I got quite excited when I saw the headline for this thread, thinking this was going to happen, some announcement I had missed? Then I realised it was just a wish. Sigh. I would definitely buy one of these, but like my hair growing back, it ain’t never going to happen.

Reactions: ntlman

ntlman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2005
I guess the other issue that motivates me to think that Apple would re-consider is the fact that brands like Sony and Astell&Kern sell Walkmans that only play music that START at $1000. I think they both have a model or two that are even over $3000! Surely if those 2 brands are able to fill a luxury, audiophile niche/space, Apple's own iPod could be an easy competitor.

Is the idea of Apple selling a $4000 audiophile-grade, music only iPod any sillier than selling an 18k gold, $10000 Apple Watch? :p At least there's direct proof from competitors that there's an existing market for the former.

Sigh.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I got quite excited when I saw the headline for this thread, thinking this was going to happen, some announcement I had missed? Then I realised it was just a wish. Sigh. I would definitely buy one of these, but like my hair growing back, it ain’t never going to happen.
Yeah, if you’re going to write a subject like that, you should totally add a question mark at the end.

Reactions: mrsmith1

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
It would certainly be a pleasant surprise to see some sort of non-Touch homage to the original iPod this year.

A click wheel just can't be replaced and it's uncomfortable to control a touchscreen device when working out/commuting/just having it in your pocket. Headphone jack adapters are a nuisance and not everyone wants AirPods.

The era of iTunes has moved on, and I love having everything imaginable on my iPhone. But sometimes it's just a little too much with notifications, distractions and battery life making it unfit for pure music listening.

People have swapped batteries and drives into classic iPods with several times the capacity, making them last days on end. Now imagine the possibilities with modern low power SoCs. I think that it would be great to see a comeback of the iPod brand, with:

- SSD, 256/512GB
- Battery lasts for days
- Wireless charging
- Bluetooth, WiFi
- Headphone jack
- Hi-res formats
- CarPlay
- Click wheel
- Apple Music / Spotify

We deserve this!
This should be the next iPod touch. Touch screen but with a click wheel. That would be nice!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm still regularly using mine from the mid 2000's.

I've put a new battery and an SSD in it -- better than new!

Phenomenal devices.

I love single purpose, focused, technology.
I really wish it had bluetooth - but --- it is what it is

Reactions: ntlman and sracer

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I would be all over a dedicated player that puts audio quality first, a new iPod Dap with a headphone jack for HI-FI music.

Eh one can dream, but tha'ts what it'll remain, a dream!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I would be all over a dedicated player that puts audio quality first, a new iPod Dap with a headphone jack for HI-FI music.

Eh one can dream, but tha'ts what it'll remain, a dream!
Those players currently exist... just not from Apple. I recently purchased a FiiO M7. Although it is Android-based, the hardware is very good, and the sound quality is noticeably better than any of the older iPod Classics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.