Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year

Votes: 5 20.0%

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Personally I think Apple has already closed down A8/A10 production lines and is just working their way through inventory they still have on hand with The slow selling ATV HD and iPod touch to hit lower price points.

I wonder if the next gen iPod touch will go A12 with a 4.7” screen, the advantage there is that will allow apple to quickly phase out 4” screen support in a future iOS.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Personally I think Apple has already closed down A8/A10 production lines and is just working their way through inventory they still have on hand with The slow selling ATV HD and iPod touch to hit lower price points.

I wonder if the next gen iPod touch will go A12 with a 4.7” screen, the advantage there is that will allow apple to quickly phase out 4” screen support in a future iOS.
The latest iPod Touch 7 already uses the same CPU as iPhone 7 and has 2GB of RAM (compared to 3GB on the 7)
So as long as they support iOS for iPhone 7, they will most likely support it for the iPod Touch too, which has a 4" screen.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
The latest iPod Touch 7 already uses the same CPU as iPhone 7 and has 2GB of RAM (compared to 3GB on the 7)
So as long as they support iOS for iPhone 7, they will most likely support it for the iPod Touch too, which has a 4" screen.
iPhone 7 has 2GB ram, 7+ has 3GB ram.

iPhone SE orig has an A9 chip with 4” screen.

Once A9 support is dropped, Apple will be done with any device that doesn’t support big.LITTLE architecture and I’m thinking Apple may at the same also just drop support for a 4” screen as well.

At that point, Apple could require big.LITTLE architecture support + RetinaHD screen as the line in the sand.

Then a few years after that, I’d bet the A12 would be the next line in the sand, going forward, all devices must have a third party accessible neural engine, and A11 doesn’t really count as it had a crippled neural engine.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
they will most likely support it for the iPod Touch too, which has a 4" screen.

At that point, Apple could require big.LITTLE architecture support + RetinaHD screen as the line in the sand.

Don't forget about the "zoomed" accessibility mode that is offered on start-up. The iPhone 8, iPhone SE 2, and iPhone X series users can use a zoomed in UI that mirrors the 4" display, so I don't think they can drop that so quickly.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
alpi123 clearly meant new product categories. The iMac is not a new product. All new products and services under Tim Cook have eschewed the "i" moniker in favor of "Apple" and "Air."

Oh my lord. “Clearly” I was serious too…..

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
iPhone 7 has 2GB ram, 7+ has 3GB ram.

iPhone SE orig has an A9 chip with 4” screen.

Once A9 support is dropped, Apple will be done with any device that doesn’t support big.LITTLE architecture and I’m thinking Apple may at the same also just drop support for a 4” screen as well.

Then a few years after that, I’d bet the A12 would be the next line in the sand, going forward, all devices must have a third party accessible neural engine, and A11 doesn’t really count as it had a crippled neural engine.

I disagree considering A9X is still solid ( and the 12.9 inch one has 4GB of RAM mind you)

also A9X gives better performance than the A10 of iPod Touch ( because of its severely underclocked high performance cores) as well as the high Effiency cores of the rest of the A10 lineup ( because A10’s big little architecture isn’t supported simultaneously)

thing is though there is a possibility that both the SE and Touch 7th Gen be dropped as well from a future iOS version because both have 4 inch screens and I don’t think Apple will make another 4 inch screen iDevice again and that is a win for developers who don’t like developing apps for those screens

regarding A11’s ANE… yeah it’s limited in the sense of what it can do compared to A12 and above but I wouldn’t say it’s crippled in a sense

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Can we take a moment to appreciate the early iPodtouch as a product and an introduction (for some) to modern computing =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.