Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I just sold my old iSight because I was not expecting to get a computer that can handle it so well until later this year... it was the equivalent to pawning it... i sold it and then I figured I'd get a new one when I could afford it in August because i wanted new sunglasses.

Oops. LOL. Well now I want one for my Powerbook. BUT... I am wondering if they'll update them. I don't need it for a WHILE. Therefore, I don't mind holding off if it makes sense.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
StarbucksSam said:
I just sold my old iSight because I was not expecting to get a computer that can handle it so well until later this year... it was the equivalent to pawning it... i sold it and then I figured I'd get a new one when I could afford it in August because i wanted new sunglasses.

Oops. LOL. Well now I want one for my Powerbook. BUT... I am wondering if they'll update them. I don't need it for a WHILE. Therefore, I don't mind holding off if it makes sense.

search the forums... the date is out there...

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
They updated them earlier this year, I think it was February or something. I bought mine a few weeks ago at the edu price, its a thing of beauty. Technological art.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, with all apologies to SuperBovine, and for being super super ultra really very dense, I read the thread and I still don't get it. So in March, there was a new part number, with delivery starting two weeks from the beginning of March? Is there anything actually different about this part number than the previous one? The iSight changed P/N's once already, just so that the mount could change to accommodate the new ACDs. AFAICS, there's no information about whether/when/if a substantive update to the iSight is due.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mkrishnan said:
Okay, with all apologies to SuperBovine, and for being super super ultra really very dense, I read the thread and I still don't get it. So in March, there was a new part number, with delivery starting two weeks from the beginning of March? Is there anything actually different about this part number than the previous one?
They removed a mount from the kit. Similiar ti the previous change which was to add a mount to the kit.

Apple did release a firmware update for the iSight which improved a few things in it. I'm not sure if the iSight really needs revisions. Just a lower price.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
StarbucksSam said:
So I should buy one?

If you buy it now, will you use it now? Or do you really literally mean that there is a time in the near future when you will use it heavily, but it will sit in a box until then? If the former, why not? 'Sides ....think of it this way: even if they are upgraded substantially, you might not get a lot of benefit from it unless all the people you iChat AV with are also using the new one. Is *that* going to happen?

StarbucksSam....

:eek: Feeling kinda bad now man :eek:

But I'm enjoying the iSight too much to feel really bad :D

Oh and just to sweeten my super busy overloaded spring.. I won a Powerbook at the Apple Store in the Arden Fair mall here in Sacramento, Ca. :D :D

So the "new" iSight is definitely coming in handy.

Thanks again :D

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
The iSights are majorly overpriced- i am waiting till after WWDC for perhaps a second gen one or a price drop. You can get the same specs web cam for as little as £15-25, yet Apple put it in a sexy enclosure and charge £100. Can you imagine their profit margins??

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Name some good alternatives out there, please? I have never done research on webcams and don't know what is good and what isn't. All I have ever used is the Logitech one, but I was always under the illusion/delusion that the iSight was actually better than the competition by far, and now you're saying it isn't. :eek:

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Abstract said:
Name some good alternatives out there, please? I have never done research on webcams and don't know what is good and what isn't. All I have ever used is the Logitech one, but I was always under the illusion/delusion that the iSight was actually better than the competition by far, and now you're saying it isn't. :eek:

Specification wise the isight has the same technology as other cameras that sell for far less. All Apple have done is put it in a sexy shell and has a mount kit for Macs. Being an Apple owner, i don't mind at all paying the premium for quality and OSX but the iSight is really taking the piss with its £100 price tag. £60 is a fair price for it.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Failing a significant price drop they should start selling the iSight in special bundles - 2 for £150 say. I love the AV capabilities of iChat but not enough people have iSights.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Fredstar said:
The iSights are majorly overpriced- i am waiting till after WWDC for perhaps a second gen one or a price drop. You can get the same specs web cam for as little as £15-25, yet Apple put it in a sexy enclosure and charge £100. Can you imagine their profit margins??

Yeah, I am expecting a price drop sometime. I wonder of the year of HD will see an improved iSight at WWDC - bigger CCD, zoom wide angle etc...

Maybe they will have a Pro and an i version, dropping the current "i" version in price

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
aswitcher said:
Yeah, I am expecting a price drop sometime. I wonder of the year of HD will see an improved iSight at WWDC - bigger CCD, zoom wide angle etc...

Maybe they will have a Pro and an i version, dropping the current "i" version in price

Now if Steve brought out a high def iSight camera selling at £100, that would sell very well!! haha. Seriously though a few improvements wouldn't go a miss, if no new Powerbooks are introduced at WWDC it looks like Steve will bring a variety of accessory upgrades, so here is hoping for a iSight 2nd generation.
I want to do video chats with my family in Holland and around the country, but i am definately waiting till after WWDC till i buy an iSight - be it a new one or a big price drop. I am not gonna tell Apple that they can continue rip people off with the iSights by buying an iSight at £99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.