Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Hi, I'm planning to buy a new iPhone and wanted to know if the new iTunes update has affected iPhone hacks and such beyond ringtones. I'd like to install the NES emulator and use my current Cingular SIM. It seems I should still be able to but I want to make sure before purchasing. Thanks!

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Is there somewhere to keep up to date with the current hacks (especially for time like when iTunes gets updated)?

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
General, it seems you've been big help with the iPhone. I want to bypass AT&T activation to use my current SIM (Cingular). I would like to install the NES app and likely some other apps as they come along. What is the best resource for doing this? I've read about Installer, AppTap (or something like that), and iAsign and it seems they are different ways of doing the same thing...or maybe I misunderstand what I'm reading. Do you have any suggestions? I have an intel Mac. Thanks!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
General, it seems you've been big help with the iPhone. I want to bypass AT&T activation to use my current SIM (Cingular). I would like to install the NES app and likely some other apps as they come along. What is the best resource for doing this? I've read about Installer, AppTap (or something like that), and iAsign and it seems they are different ways of doing the same thing...or maybe I misunderstand what I'm reading. Do you have any suggestions? I have an intel Mac. Thanks!

Why do you need to use your current SIM? You can keep your phone number.

Installing apps, use the AppTapp installer to install Installer.app (lots in "installer in that sentance, :D) then use Installer.app on your iPhone to manage third party applications.

Then use SFTP to put NES ROMs on your phone.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I want to keep my current SIM because my service plan includes the right amount of minutes and unlimited data for less than the Apple/AT&T plans.

If I install the AppTap and use Installer, then will I be able to place the icons (NES, for example) on the Springboard screen? Or will I always have to go through the Installer launcher first to get to those third-party apps?

In order to retain my current SIM and then do the AppTap stuff do I simply jailbreak the phone (hacktheiphone.com) then install AppTap? Will they interfere with one another? Thanks!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The icons just show up on the Springboard once they are installed.

I dunno anything about the SIM card hacks.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Once the AppTap has been installed, etc. do you still usse iTunes to transfer music and video to the iPhone? I assume you can just turn off auto-sync....or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.