Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
So yesterday my original 2009 Apple Wireless Keyboard (that came with the iMac) died. I think it was a water issue. Some keys still work, but most don’t. The QWERTY row doesn’t, the ASDF row does, the ZXCV row doesn’t.

Now I’m wondering what new keyboard I can replace it with. Though a bit expensive, I was considering a new Magic Keyboard, but according to the Apple website it’s not compatible with most macs older than 2014/2015.

Does anyone know if it does work, or know of other options? Many thanks!

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
Update:
I think a problem could be the type of Bluetooth the machine has. This iMac has “2.1 + EDR” according to Mactracker, where the new keyboards use a different one. Although, Apple says on their website “it’s compatible with a Mac with Bluetooth and macOS 10.12.4”, my old iMac runs 10.13.6.
And I think they also work with the cable?
If the problem is the Bluetooth, a dongle could fix the problem.

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
So yesterday my original 2009 Apple Wireless Keyboard (that came with the iMac) died. I think it was a water issue. Some keys still work, but most don’t. The QWERTY row doesn’t, the ASDF row does, the ZXCV row doesn’t.

Now I’m wondering what new keyboard I can replace it with. Though a bit expensive, I was considering a new Magic Keyboard, but according to the Apple website it’s not compatible with most macs older than 2014/2015.

Does anyone know if it does work, or know of other options? Many thanks!

I'm using the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, together with the Magic Trackpad 2 and the Magic Mouse 2, on my late 2009 27" iMac without any problems whatsoever. (running on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.