Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
The new 2021 Kindle Paperwhite is finally out. The regular one is $139.99 and the Kids version is $159.99. For extra $20 you get a cover ($39.99 if sold separately) and two years warranty. It seems to me that the Kindle Paperwhite Kids is a better deal even if one don't have kids. Did I miss anything?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 2.54.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 2.54.46 PM.png
    926.8 KB · Views: 633
Reactions: rhinosrcool

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
I splurged a bit and got the signature edition ($189 USD) just to get wireless charging…mainly as alternate way to charge. I’m having a devil of a time getting the old usb mini/micro (forget which it is called) to charge my older 2017 paperwhite...even after a new battery. Port is soldered…alas. Amazon order site says these ship preordered on Oct 27, but their email to me says it’ll be mid-late November when it arrives. I would not have ordered if it hadn’t had USB-C…that was the necessary upgrade for me to pull the trigger. The lighting options are a definite plus. But between the reg and kids version, I agree it looks like kids version is the better buy if you use a cover. I just hate covers.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I have an old paperwhite with a dent in the display so I have ordered the new signature edition.

panoptica

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
In the plane on Saturday the lady next to me had one, so I finally gave in and the signature edition is going to be my very first ebook reader. ?

Reactions: coffee06

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I am sure you will like it.
Problem with reading on the iPad is that I can always go semehere else to look at social media, mail, twitter etc.

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
My paperwhite signature edition was just moved up in the ship date about 3-4 weeks to Oct 29th. That’s good news

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
On mine it just says relese date 10th november
When I look at my orders on Amazon app it shows Arriving Oct 29, 2021. Release date Oct 27, 2021. I bought mine naked (no covers, extras)…wonder if that matters. I’m in US and that might be part of it.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I splurged a bit and got the signature edition ($189 USD) just to get wireless charging…mainly as alternate way to charge. I’m having a devil of a time getting the old usb mini/micro (forget which it is called) to charge my older 2017 paperwhite...even after a new battery. Port is soldered…alas. Amazon order site says these ship preordered on Oct 27, but their email to me says it’ll be mid-late November when it arrives. I would not have ordered if it hadn’t had USB-C…that was the necessary upgrade for me to pull the trigger. The lighting options are a definite plus. But between the reg and kids version, I agree it looks like kids version is the better buy if you use a cover. I just hate covers.
The reason I chose the Kid version is the "no question asked" 2-year warranty. Basically Amazon will replace it whenever something breaks ("my kid cracked its screen"). This for me is the most valuable feature in the bundle.

Reactions: coffee06

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Does anyone have any idea when/if reviews are going to drop?

I actually have both the regular 2021 Paperwhite and the Signature Edition on pre-order. Initially, I was all over the Signature Edition (it just sounds so special!), but I reckon I'll cancel it. I don't need the extra space (32Gb vs 8), as I'd rather listen to audiobooks on the iPhone, and there's only so many books you need with you at once. Wireless charging is cool, but doesn't really add anything. I was stuck on the ambient light sensor which is great for bedtime reading, but to be fair it annoys me in the daytime if I read while pacing the room or in changeable weather, on its own not worth the £50 extra.

Both were ordered as soon as they were available. Regular should arrive on the 28th, the Signature is still down to be delivered on the 11th November (UK) - I'd probably stick to the Signature if it wasn't another two week wait-time ?

Reactions: servenvolley

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered the signature edition for a few reasons:

1. Warm backlight
2. USB-C / Wireless charging

I traded in my old paperwhite and had to wait for Amazon to process that before placing my order so mine won't arrive until mid to late November. :(

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Mine should be here Friday. Just in time….took two days of jiggling the adapter cord to get a full charge on the old one this last round. It’s going in the recycle bin when this charge dies whether the new has arrived or not. The wireless charging gives me an alternate way of charging if this scenario happens with this Kindle. The nice lighting is a bonus. But I was buying the next non-Android e-reader with USB-C…prefer Kindles but hell bent on not getting a reader without usb-c, Kindle or not. Amazon just beat Kobo to the punch for the smaller form factor. Kobo Libra 2 came out preorder the same day I ordered my Kindle…a day sooner and I’d probably have ordered a kobo and suffered thru converting my books somehow. I just so love reading on an reader and the Kindle Paperwhite has been great…except for that blasted charging port.

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Good point! although I'm lucky not to have had any problems with the charging port. I just figured if would be a faff trying to find a permanent place for the docking station to live when it's finally released. Have to say I was tempted by the Kobo Sage or Libra 2, but I've always had a Kindle and the convenience of Amazon and Kindle Unlimited, so I have no idea what benefits (or disadvantages) of jumping to Kobo are.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m thinking of getting the new paperwhite, the standard edition as I don’t need the extra space. I’m just wondering if I could manage both the oasis and the paperwhite as I wouldn’t want to give up my oasis 3.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I just got one of the 2021 versions the other day and I have mixed feelings. The things I hate are actually what make it good, namely you can't do anything other than read books. I know that sounds odd, but I'm constantly looking for stuff that would be on my tablet, like email, music, etc. But the more frustrated I get, the more I realize that this is genius. It keeps me off my electronic devices and reading books, and nothing else. I like that concept so much I ordered a couple more for my kids, but I wasn't aware of the "kids" edition, might have to return them for those.

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Got my Signature edition this week. Seems like a lot more space on the screen than I thought it would be, making it easier to read. Faster response is very nice. The warm light option is fine but isn’t something I think I’ll use much. Seems almost too big but I’ll get used to that. Most importantly, I love the usb-c...so nice to just charge it without the fuss.

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Splurged a few $$ and got a cork cover for my Paperwhite. I haven’t used a cover in years on a kindle. A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but I do so like that auto-on/off the cover provides. Nice quality. Battery life is much much better…maybe this is how new ones have always been and I just forgot. Liking the warm light for reading in bed and have finally gotten used to the larger size in my hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.