Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Kindle 'paperwhite' e-reader announced, $119 Wi-Fi and $179 3G models ship October 1st
http://www.theverge.com/

kindlepaperwhite-high_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

Amid a storm of tablet-related hype and speculation, Amazon just announced the latest iteration of its "traditional" Kindle e-reader. It uses the expected new "paperwhite" screen technology for a sharper (212 ppi) and higher-contrast display, and also features a frontlight that brings parity with Barnes & Noble's Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. The interface has taken a page out of the Kindle Fire's book by offering a "cover mode" homescreen that lets you swipe through your library. The device also uses the same X-Ray content analysis feature found on the Kindle Touch, has controls for the light, and lets you change the fonts.
Amazon is touting its patented light guide technology which keeps the lighting even across the screen and allows you to leave it on all the time without detriment to battery life — it'll apparently last for eight weeks between charges. The touch technology means it has a thinner bezel, and at 9.1mm thin and 7.5 ounces Jeff Bezos describes the device as "thinner than a magazine, lighter than a paperback." The Kindle Paperwhite is available for order today and will start shipping on October 1st, with the Wi-Fi model costing $119 and the 3G-enabled variant going for $179. It's unclear, however, if either model will employ Amazon's Special Offer ads.

Amazon's new 7-inch Kindle Fire: twice the RAM, faster processor, longer battery life, $159

amazon-event-2012-_1345_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

Along with an all-new Kindle e-reader with illuminated paperwhite display and a lower-price standard Kindle, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos just announced the new Kindle Fire tablet during a press conference today. The new Fire features a 7-inch display, a faster processor, more RAM, and longer battery life than the original model.
Despite the upgrades, Amazon is actually dropping the price of the new Kindle Fire by $40 over the original model, as it will now sell for $159 when it starts shipping on September 14th.

Amazon debuts 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD

amazon-event-2012-_1353_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg

inShare​

After making an informal debut in a televised ad late last night, Amazon's larger Kindle Fire has finally been unveiled. Introduced today at a press event in Los Angeles, the new Kindle Fire HD features 8.9-inch 1920x1200, 254ppi display. It features a laminated touch sensor for better visuals and 25% less glare. It's powered by an OMAP 4470 processor from Texas Instruments, which Amazon says outperforms the Tegra 3. The Kindle Fire HD also includes stereo speakers, an upgrade over the Kindle Fire's mono driver. Amazon has improved Wi-Fi networking by adding a dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz receiver. Pricing and release information is still forthcoming.
Kindle Fire HD is the FIRST tablet to incorporate MIMO.

About the OMAP 4470:

The OMAP 4470 system on chip (SoC) is the latest production from Texas Instruments (TI) 4th generation of OMAP processors. First presented at Computex 2011, the TI OMAP 4470 features four CPU cores:
- a dual core ARM Cortex-A9 running at a maximum of 1.8GHz (20% faster clock than the OMAP 4460 at 1.5 GHz)
- assisted by two Cortex-M3 cores running at 266MHz to handle less computationally intensive tasks (2D animations, touch interaction) and increase power efficiency.
The graphic processor is a PowerVR SGX544 GPU running at 384MHz, up 25% from the 304MHz of the SGX540. (Apple A5 CPU in the iPAD 2 uses a dual core version of the SGX543 GPU).
Like in older OMAP 4 processors, the DRAM memory controller offers a dual 32-bit DRAM channel, but it has been optimized on the 4470 to support LPDDR2-466 memory, which is 15% faster than in the 4460 and gives a memory bandwidth up to 7.5 GB/s.
TI_OMAP_4470b.jpg

While Archos G9 tablets were using latest upgrade OMAP 4430 and 4460, there is good chance that the new Archos G10 tablets run on the OMAP 4470 (see GLBenchmark leak) and would be one of the first products to use latest TI processor.
TI OMAP 4470 specifications

TI product page is giving some details on the OMAP 4470 specifications: Dual-core ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore™ with Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP), operates at up to 1.8 GHz
Integrated POWERVR™ SGX544 graphics accelerator drives 3D gaming and user interfaces (UIs), and supports DirectX with maximum hardware acceleration
Dedicated 2D graphics core to accelerate UI composition in the lowest power envelope
Supports multiple screens
Can support up to QXGA (2048×1536) resolution with UIs composed of multiple blended layers
Dual-channel LPDDR2 memory makes for easier, faster memory access and overall system efficiency
Built in 45nm manufacturing process like other OMAP4 processors, pin compatible with the OMAP 4460

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I picked a bad time to buy a Kindle Touch (about 2 months ago)

That was a little unlucky i guess.

I have to say that while I want to be interested in these products it's just not happening, I manage to get excited about apple, samsung, google +HTC things but just not kindles.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
What they forgot to mention about the Kindle Fire is that it is ad supported, and that is why it is selling for $159. Given the choice, I would pick the Nexus 7 any day over anything Amazing sells.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If the Fire HD gets released in Europe and a bootloader unlock (for custom Android ROMs) I think I'll be getting one.

Amazing price.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Hopefully it won't take as long to get to the UK as the first one did (hint: still hasn't been released).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hopefully it won't take as long to get to the UK as the first one did (hint: still hasn't been released).

If they want to release it in the EU, browsing should not go through Amazon's servers.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Holy crap.

they just announced a 4G LTE for 499/ with 49.99 a year service @ 250MB per month.

finger to AT&T, Verizon & Apple.

250mb per month on 4g. LOL. Yeah, that is like 1 day of use. And I didn't see or read how they plan to broadcast their 4G signal, if they aren't using a carrier?

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
The Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD are very competitive units, IMO....I still can't believe the Kindle Fire has been improved, yet the price went down by $40. Pretty cool.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD are very competitive units, IMO....I still can't believe the Kindle Fire has been improved, yet the price went down by $40. Pretty cool.

I have spent more than the cost OF the original Kindle Fire on the Amazon Appstore, Amazon MP3, Amazon On Demand, and the Kindle bookstore. I think Amazon KNOWS their customers very well to the point that losing out on hardware means nothing to them.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
that may be true, but iOS devices are paying more.

View attachment 356111

They pay more because they get more, including higher quality, developers, and OS that isn't forked and shoehorned into a tablet, and not to mention the ipad has a bigger and better display. Lastly, you can buy a 4G ipad and actually PICK your own data plan and network. Don't like 300mb, get 3gb or 5gb...change your plan when and where you like.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I have spent more than the cost OF the original Kindle Fire on the Amazon Appstore, Amazon MP3, Amazon On Demand, and the Kindle bookstore. I think Amazon KNOWS their customers very well to the point that losing out on hardware means nothing to them.

Really? They lose money on every prime customer and they lose money or make nothing at all on every Fire sold. They lost approx 125 millions in operating income last year alone. Free cash flow was down 40% in 2011. Amazon is a stack of cards that will eventually crumble, like most ponzi schemes.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I just don't think Amazon is capable of fending off Google and the Nexus 7 with the new Fire devices. Seriously, Google changed the game with the Nexus 7.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
They pay more because they get more, including higher quality, developers, and OS that isn't forked and shoehorned into a tablet, and not to mention the ipad has a bigger and better display. Lastly, you can buy a 4G ipad and actually PICK your own data plan and network. Don't like 300mb, get 3gb or 5gb...change your plan when and where you like.

I get it, you've drank the Kool aid and want to defend  to the ends of your keyboard.

How does iPad have a better display now? do you have the PPI of the new HD fire? Some would argue that iOS is stale, you know the same since 07'. And lastly, the LTE data was basically just given away by Amazon; so why you now want to defend the AT&T and Verizon lords of the kingdom is beyond me.

Sometimes people cannot see the forest through the trees.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The iPad is still too expensive, iOS is a great ecosystem, but you're still paying for a $500 device that will probably cost you double that price overtime once you consider the prices you're paying for iTunes content and apps, not to mention accessories!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just don't think Amazon is capable of fending off Google and the Nexus 7 with the new Fire devices. Seriously, Google changed the game with the Nexus 7.

I don't know, the 7" Fire HD looks pretty nice. Plus you can get a 32GB version for what Google is charging for the 16GB Nexus 7.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 3.41.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 3.41.18 PM.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 132

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I get it, you've drank the Kool aid and want to defend  to the ends of your keyboard.

How does iPad have a better display now? do you have the PPI of the new HD fire? Some would argue that iOS is stale, you know the same since 07'. And lastly, the LTE data was basically just given away by Amazon; so why you now want to defend the AT&T and Verizon lords of the kingdom is beyond me.

Sometimes people cannot see the forest through the trees.

Oh yeah. I'm a die hard Apple fan. LOL That really is funny. You must not look in here very much.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Ads and Carousel make it a deal breaker for me. I'd much rather spend the money and get the Nexus 7 to run Android and be ad-less. The price difference isn't that dramatic to have to live with ads forever. And regardless of how you feel about Android, Android >>>> Carousel.

However, I have no doubt it'll dip into the tablet marketshare substantially.

----------

Oh yeah. I'm a die hard Apple fan. LOL That really is funny. You must not look in here very much.

Don't you love when that happens? ;)

You did that to me the other day. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.