Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to a report, we should expect to see a new look at retail Apple Stores starting today (Thursday).

New Green and Purple iPod Banners with a floating acrylic box featuring the iPod will replace the current PowerBook and PowerMac displays in the windows. The new banners will advertise the iPods (10,000 songs for Mac and Windows).

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
nothing new

The Apple store in Chandler AZ was already setup that way on monday when I was last there.

I have a better question, how did they get those powerbooks to change screens all at the same time?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Sounds good. I think the iPod ads on TV have slowed down. Hopefully Apple will turn the pressure back up with the dPod and the new Napster on the scene.

Any word on the stores that are being remodeled??

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Re: nothing new

Originally posted by nacl99
The Apple store in Chandler AZ was already setup that way on monday when I was last there.

I have a better question, how did they get those powerbooks to change screens all at the same time?

Lots of ways to do it.
1) AppleScript
2) Displaying the same webpage
3) continuos streaming movie
4) Advanced application of the reality distortion field
5) Custom software.
6) They are just really really cool.

Most of this relies on getting the clocks synced to the same server.

jaxbrokenheart

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2003
St. Lousy, Misery
my apple store had the three powerbooks on display, but the screens didn't go through that slide show at the same time. they weren't synced at all with that show (at least for mine). maybe yours just had the people start them at exactly the same point.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Re: nothing new

Originally posted by nacl99
<snip>

could you get some pictures of this?

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
Originally posted by Superdrive
Sounds good. I think the iPod ads on TV have slowed down. Hopefully Apple will turn the pressure back up with the dPod and the new Napster on the scene.

Any word on the stores that are being remodeled??

Last night I noticed an ad that at first it looked like the rock IPod commercial but the writing was talking about ITunes for Windows. First time I had noticed that one/

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
In the major metro areas (Chicago and NYC) the iPod print ads are everywhere. haven't seen a bus shelter in weeks that didn't have an iPod ad on it.

They're dumping some serious cash into the advertising.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
The PB display is not a movie, it's a screen saver. Some times they start differently, so it's off a bit, but when they are on, it's one cool effect that's a head turner.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good idea--draw people in with a lower-end product that works with PCs, then show them the Macs as well!

blazorama

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2003
This is good, Apple is really pushing their stuff for once... I was in the muni here in SF and the entire wall of the platform was ipod ads.. I see them everywhere in the city...

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
Palo Alto had it last Friday

The Palo Alto store had the banners and acrylic box display during the Night of the Panther event last Friday. If you have a look at MacMinute's pictures of the event, and scroll down to the Palo Alto store picture, you can see a blurry green iPod banner in the window.http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/24/panther

I noticed the white acrylic box and thought it was weird.

waterbouy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Chicargo, IL USA
Bus shelters and more...

As of Wednedsday night, the Blue Line 'L' stop at Jackson (that's in Chicago) has only iPod advertisements displayed. Not another ad presence there.

There are at least 36 large poster-size ads in groups of threes, as well as another 24 between the groups of three that are approximatley 3 feet high and ten feet wide. Opened my eyes that night.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
every ad at powell st BART station in SF is coverd with ipod ads. Thers even one that has a ligher green background with a girl on it, except she has straight hair (european kind of girl i suppose). Ive never seen it anywhwhere else, nor have i seen her on tv. Anyone know what this might be about? (its only on that one sign)

jaxbrokenheart

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2003
St. Lousy, Misery
Originally posted by theipodgod16
every ad at powell st BART station in SF is coverd with ipod ads. Thers even one that has a ligher green background with a girl on it, except she has straight hair (european kind of girl i suppose). Ive never seen it anywhwhere else, nor have i seen her on tv. Anyone know what this might be about? (its only on that one sign)
did it look like the girl here. (on top right, click this color
square_blue.gif

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
The Apple Store in Mclean, VA (the first Apple store to open) is being renovated. The store was closed, of course, and there was a sign that said "Apple. Always changing for the better" or something like that. The store will not be open until mid-November. This should be interesting as the Mclean store is usually where changes in the store's format are tested.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Clarendon, VA

I just came from the one in Clarendon (Arlington, VA) and will confirm the multi-colored iPod banners. :)

sXe

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
went to the apple store today. saw the new banners. i've seen the print ads here in chicago, along with the new iPod ads on TV with the iTunes for windows slogans. i'm loving the ads everyday...

voicegy

macrumors 65816
The PowerBooks in the window of the Apple stores in San Diego is a fantastic idea...really is a head turner.

Also, perhaps of greater importance, we're getting our FIRST Apple related advertising around town. Bus ads, and bus stop ads, are everywhere...it's so odd, because the only advertising I've EVER seen that was an "outdoor" ad anywhere NEAR San Diego previous to these were up the freeway 'bout a 100 miles or so as you enter Los Angeles.

And, yup...they're all iPod ads.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Re: New Look at Apple Stores

Just went to the Short Pump location and saw the new display. It's pretty cool, but I still like the old PB display better. Oh well...

Peej

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2003
LA, CA
An entire building

I was in Hollywood this past weekend and they've got the side of a 20-story building painted with the purple iPod ad. Really cool.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I love the new iPod banners.

Also, with the PowerBooks...I'm pretty sure that they were a quicktime movie being played, synched somehow through AirPort.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Columbus

I'm from Columbus where one of the first Apple Stores was opened...I was home this weekend from school and I was so impressed with the iBook and Powerbook display in the window...it looks awesome...makes people want to go in and see what all the fuss is about....i was in there on friday (after thanksgiving, mostly because I work at Easton at Express Men) and there were so many people in the Apple store, it was crazy....it was one of the buzziest stores i saw...and check out Easton if you are from around Columbus, it is awesome....... http://www.eastontowncenter.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.