Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleks

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Hey Appleguy,
I agree with the question. I have ordered the MacBook Pro 14" M1 Max and would need a docking station for stationary work to which I can connect at best even three monitors. Maybe someone has experience with docking stations that support multiple monitors (not mirrored mode)? Furthermore, ports such as network, USB (C), etc. would be useful.

Probably only guesses are possible at the moment, since the devices have not been released yet but maybe there are already experience reports with older MacBook Pros :).

Are there any obvious drawbacks to connecting multiple monitors via a single Thunderbolt port on the MacBook?

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
I am looking into what affordable dock to get, likely going for a second-hand Thunderbolt 3 Dock from Startech.

As far as I've been able to understand, for best display performance it needs to be a Thunderbolt dock, that does not rely on MST (unsupported by macOS) or DisplayLink (slight performance hit) for multiple displays.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
I keep seeing options with an exception saying that dual monitors are not supported on the dock when the computer is a M1 Mac... I'm wondering if the M1 Pro or M1 Max no longer has this limitation, or, whether new docks will come out to get around this limitation, if possible.

Reactions: rolling green

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I keep seeing options with an exception saying that dual monitors are not supported on the dock when the computer is a M1 Mac... I'm wondering if the M1 Pro or M1 Max no longer has this limitation, or, whether new docks will come out to get around this limitation, if possible.
I believe that the limitations on the M1 Pro and Max have been removed and can now support multiple monitors.

Reactions: rolling green

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
I believe that the limitations on the M1 Pro and Max have been removed and can now support multiple monitors.

So now I'm wondering if the docks that say that M1 only supports 1 display... Will those docks now work with the M1 Pro/Max or do we need to wait for new docks...?

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
So now I'm wondering if the docks that say that M1 only supports 1 display... Will those docks now work with the M1 Pro/Max or do we need to wait for new docks...?
That, I can’t answer. The only thing that I can suggest is to contact the manufacturers to verify. It may be that the current Thunderbolt 3 docks will work with the new Pro’s since the limitations have been removed, but I cannot say that the will work with certainty.

Reactions: legaleye3000

delta25

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
I too am looking to buy a dock that allows me to hook up multiple monitors with my M1 Pro. Have you tested this out?

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
I got a (second-hand, luckily, as it is otherwise pricey) StarTech TB3CDK2DPUE Thunderbolt/USB-C dock and it works fine for dual 4K DisplayPort output.

antst

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
I got caldigit TB4 hub. It’s not a permanent solution at all. But it is cheapest TB4 solution I could find, so I have time to wait when better options will pop up.
in my case, 2 displays and 10gbe adapter are going to utilize 3 TB ports and USB hub will plugged into usb3.2 port.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've got the Caldigit TS3+ dock connected to my Pro - in my experience Caldigit stuff is by far the most reliable dock you can buy. Its more expensive, but its well engineered and just seems to work with whatever you throw at it.

Last edited:

trodriguez

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I just received the Sonnettech Echo 5 thunderbolt hub which claims to support dual Pro Display HDR's and various combinations of 6k/5k/4k monitors. I have both 5k and 4k LG Ultrafine monitors, but the dock seems to not recognize the 5k properly when both are plugged in to the thunderbolt hub. It thinks it's a 4k - I'm hoping it's just a Monterey issue...

First pic is with both plugged into the hub, second is with one plugged into the laptop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.58.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.58.51 PM.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.06.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.06.24 PM.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 88

Big Jobs

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2021
Any Suggestions on a decent thunderbolt dock that has 2 displays that will work with the new MacBook Pros?
I bought the OWC thunderbolt 4 dock and use it with my 14” pro, it is supposed to be able to handle outputting 2 x 4k displays @ 60hz: it runs cool and everything works okish so far…..

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I use a Startech TB3DK2DPPD and it has been flawless so far with 2 external displays. Got it for super cheap on Ebay (~$30).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.