Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmakFairy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
In my opinion, Apple's design decisions with the new MBA are a missed opportunity. Instead, they should have released TWO devices to better differentiate their product line while covering more ground - as is, too many people of too many different stripes will be underserved, and Apple's product line will not make as much sense as it could.

What Apple DID do with the MBA was confuse their product line while failing to cover all bases.
  • New MBA introduces new, premium price which implicitly admits that it is NOT an entry-level device, since the M1 MBA sticks around, which will disappoint casual users.
  • At the same time, it does not offer premium features, which will disappoint premium users.

Here's what I think Apple SHOULD have done:
  • Release both a new Macbook Air (to offer premium features to premium users) AND a new "Macbook" line (to satisfy casual users).
  • New Macbook would have mirrored the iMac, as the rumor mill had suggested it might:
    • Bright colors, baseline specs, baseline price (eg $999) - properly replacing the M1 MBA as the entry-level Macbook and appealing to millions of casual users who will be put off by the dour colors of the new (actual) MBA as well as its higher price.
    • This would increase symmetry and sensibility in the product line by reflecting the entry-level iMac which will surely be followed eventually by an iMac Pro. MB/MBPro + iMac/iMacPro.
    • TWO screen sizes: 14 and 16, to reflect the MBP and offer the large screen, entry-level device so many people clearly want.

Here's where it would get interesting: new Macbook Air should have returned to the model's roots as a premium device offering premium features with maximum portability. Base Macbook would offer portability with entry-level features, MBP offers premium features at the cost of portability, and a new MBA would offer portability with premium features - a glorious trifecta.

As netizens everywhere have observed, many people want the premium features of the MBP but don't like the compromises and focus on performance. With the extreme performance of the pro M1 chips (who actually needs that many 4k or 8k streams anyway?), most of its users will in no way test its limits - but they WILL suffer its tradeoffs. Maximum performance always comes at the cost of size, weight, heat, complexity and noise (fans), and battery life, and I along with many other users don't want to accept those tradeoffs. We DO, on the other hand, want the premium screen (XDR, mini-led, ProMotion), the connectivity, and the multi-monitor support.

The solution is to accomplish two things with the MBA:
  • Return to its roots as a premium device for users who want the best but prioritize portability over performance.
  • Resurrect and perfect the ideals of the 2015 Macbook. That device was confusing at the time because it couldn't offer premium performance despite a premium price, it was handicapped in silly ways (single, non-Thunderbolt port), and its labeling suggested it was less special than the MBA. Apple should have fixed all this with the new MBA, and with M, it could have done it easily.

Ultimately, the new MBA should have been a premium device balancing the MBP and reflecting the other side of the its trade-offs:
  • Premium screen - XDR, mini-led, ProMotion, the works.
  • Option of M2 or M2 Pro: more ports, (3rd or 4th USB-C on right side), more external screens, and possible thermal throttling, but that compromise is acceptable given the priorities of the device.
  • Especially sexy form factor - I haven't seen it in person, but the new design seems less special than it should and too predictable, too much a little brother of the MBP. In fact, I think both the 2015 Macbook and M1 MBA are far better looking with a leading edge that is strikingly thin and gorgeous.
  • TWO screen options: 12in and 14in. Like the 2015 MB, the 12in model should be the ULTIMATE premium portable machine with no sore points. There is just no reason this device should not exist in the age of M when it did exist in the dark days of 2015 Intel.

We would then have three tiers with two choices each:

• Macbook: entry-level, 14in/16in
  • Macbook Air: premium, 12in/14in, portability over performance
  • Macbook Pro: premium, 14in/16in, performance over portability
Forthcoming products may clarify things a bit, but I think the new MBA ultimately tries to kill two birds with one stone but fails at both. Casual users don't get the friendly colors or friendly price, and premium users don't get the premium features of the MBP and have to settle: EITHER portability OR premium features. That choice should not be necessary.

What do YOU think about this strategy? What do you think about Apple's actual strategy?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
High inflation has made the $999 MacBook Air no longer possible, at least based on Apple's margin requirements.

Once the M1 MBA is retired, I don't foresee a $999 replacement product. Under normal circumstances, the M2 MBA would have replaced the M1 model at $999, but that's no longer possible. The only premium feature might be the notch/webcam, other than that it's pretty basic as it is.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
High inflation has made the $999 MacBook Air no longer possible, at least based on Apple's margin requirements.

Once the M1 MBA is retired, I don't foresee a $999 replacement product. Under normal circumstances, the M2 MBA would have replaced the M1 model at $999, but that's no longer possible. The only premium feature might be the notch/webcam, other than that it's pretty basic as it is.
I foresee that if current trend keep, more likely the M2 will be the new $999 and the M3 will pick up where the M2 left off.

But yes, inflation is hitting margins and the supply crunch is hitting Apple hard by missing sales targets due to few production units being made.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020

They could hold the price or lower it if they released a MacBook in a high-quality plastic shell with possible other cost-based refinements.

The idea that Apple must produce only high-end premium products doesn't expand their business as much as offering premium, yet closer to mid-range product that would expand their market and their services revenue. These lower range products would attract buyers that want Apple, but can't afford it now. Many of the same buyers would become buyers of Apples high-end devices as their finances improved.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Wow, this is so well put, logical, and vastly simplifies the laptop range.

Currently it feels all over the place. 13 Pro with M2, what the heck?

Reactions: SmakFairy

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They could hold the price or lower it if they released a MacBook in a high-quality plastic shell with possible other cost-based refinements.

The idea that Apple must produce only high-end premium products doesn't expand their business as much as offering premium, yet closer to mid-range product that would expand their market and their services revenue. These lower range products would attract buyers that want Apple, but can't afford it now. Many of the same buyers would become buyers of Apples high-end devices as their finances improved.

It's the same reason why luxury automakers don't make cars that are too cheap. There is the risk of diluting your brand and quality issues.

In theory, those customers might subscribe to services, but in reality they just don't. For example, Android customers spend far less in the Play Store compared to iPhone users in the App Store.

Reactions: Tagbert

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020

^^^This

Between chip shortages and inflation, the days of the $1000 base Mac are over

SmakFairy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
These replies have a strange fixation on the base price of the range. Even if we ignore Apple's strange retention of the $999 M1 MBA - and we assume that $1199 will be the new base price henceforth - it doesn't rectify the problem that the M2 MBA looks like a pro product (dour colors, even worse than the gold and rose gold of yesteryear) but isn't one (same entry-level features).

I for one don't want to pony up for an MBP to get the screen and connectivity, only to suffer size, heat, weight, noise, and battery life that are inferior to the M1 MBA I already own. Currently, there is no option that offers what I want, and I see no reason there shouldn't be.

Bottom line: If Apple offered the premium portable machine I described, I would upgrade. As they don't, I won't, and I'm sure a lot of other users agree.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There is nothing confusing if one doesn't project bias and false expectations onto stated facts of the respective devices.

Too many here want to hang their own definition and expectation of "pro," "air," onto new releases instead of accepting the new device for what it is, regardless of what last year specs showed and offered. Pro, Air, and MBP are just labeling monikers. That is all.

Reactions: Tagbert and jav6454

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
There is nothing confusing if one doesn't project bias and false expectations onto stated facts of the respective devices.

Too many here want to hang their own definition and expectation of "pro," "air," onto new releases instead of accepting the new device for what it is, regardless of what last year specs showed and offered. Pro, Air, and MBP are just labeling monikers. That is all.
This is true. But certain monikers have also become synonymous with certain spec'd Macs or segments.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

Many of the people who buy the more expensive Macs today, would then buy the cheaper one.

One of the reasons why so many people are willing to pay so much for a Mac is that they know there won't be a cheap one.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This is true. But certain monikers have also become synonymous with certain spec'd Macs or segments.
Yes, but the Air does not have a association as a premium product beyond just being an Apple product. the very first Air did sell for a premium price and justified that price with it’s extreme portability. But the performance was subpar and by the time they brought out the second generation of Air, the price came down to normal and it was no longer a premium product. The Air because Apple‘s lower priced line for consumers balanced against the higher priced pro line. The new Air fits exactly into that market slot. Yes, the price went up, but it is likely to go up with each of the models when Apple updates them. The M1 is what most SE models are, previous gen tech sold at a discount to give them a cheaper entry point.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Yes, but the Air does not have a association as a premium product beyond just being an Apple product. the very first Air did sell for a premium price and justified that price with it’s extreme portability. But the performance was subpar and by the time they brought out the second generation of Air, the price came down to normal and it was no longer a premium product. The Air because Apple‘s lower priced line for consumers balanced against the higher priced pro line. The new Air fits exactly into that market slot. Yes, the price went up, but it is likely to go up with each of the models when Apple updates them. The M1 is what most SE models are, previous gen tech sold at a discount to give them a cheaper entry point.
I'd argue the price went up due to inflation more than anything else.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.