Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
One question: can you power on the Mac Mini with your Harmony remote?

Edit: I do mean power on, not wake from sleep :)

No. When it is powered down, the IR receiving circuits are also powered down. There are only two ways of starting up a shutdown mini: power button on back or schedule a startup time. Actually, there is a third way. Set the mini to restart on power failure and then use a power bar to turn the mini off and on.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
27" display is alone +1000$. Then add 300$ CPU (i7), mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU, case, speakers, KB, mouse, Windows..... You are already hitting 2000$. Windows 7 is still Windows, with all it's pros and cons. Also, iMac is AIO while towers take a lot more space plus the cable hell. Design, customer service, power efficiency are all valid pros of Macs. You may not get the best performance for the buck you're paying but that's not all. Why should I buy BMW if Fiat drives me from place A to place B anyway?

Why on earth do you have to reply to every thread and say Macs suck and are bad value and you could buy this and this for the same money? We got your point already. This is Apple and Mac forum thus it's not a surprise that people are looking for Macs, not PCs. There is no challenger for iMac, especially for the 27" behemoth. If you don't like that people buy Macs over PCs, then find a another forum where more people agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, I build PCs for living but PC forums are elsewhere. This is Mac forum so live with it. You will find people recommending Macs because people ask advice about Macs, not about PCs. Even though you make valid point about PCs, you are targeting at wrong persons. Not all are after the best components and stuff, most people could do fine with PPC Mac. If I could now choose, I'd probably build a PC and buy a MacBook, for the same money I paid for my iMac. W7 is good, but I still find OS X being much better. Also, Mini vs full sizer tower ain't fair comparison either.

Taking aside some of the other nonsense you've posted (we'll come to that in a mo! ;)) I take it from this that the only people who should respond to this thread are people who 'agree' that Apple are great and that criticism should be banned?

I think the argument is lost at the point tbh, luckily there are more reasonable people on here.

As I have said, I own and am happy to own an iPad and iPhone, they are both far from perfect but offer, IMO, the best value in the current range of Apple products. It is also the area of most focus for Apple and likely to see the best progression, I would strongly urge you to download the D8 podcast and listen to iCon speak. See if you can spot the truth from the lies.... ;)

now to the rest of it....

Design - matter of opinion
Customer Service - don't get me started on that, Apple UK are appalling.!
Power efficiency - maybe, but we are talking small amounts.
Cable Hell - hmm, stop drinking the koolaid :D again that's up to the end user.

Windows is still windows? Well its not really, again you are falling for Apple marketing, which like most companies is actually lies! Win 7 is a great OS..

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/a...er-Snow-Leopard-and-you-should-too/1253136981

I use linux, win and osx on a regular basis and therefore feel my position is one of knowledge not ignorance, and that my POV can help people.

to see a really good, free OS, try Linux Mint. Stunning and secure.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I take it from this that the only people who should respond to this thread are people who 'agree' that Apple are great and that criticism should be banned?

I didn't say criticism should be banned but you haven't posted anything else but "buy PC" lately and never posted any cons of PCs or even admitted that there are

As I have said, I own and am happy to own an iPad and iPhone, they are both far from perfect but offer, IMO, the best value in the current range of Apple products. It is also the area of most focus for Apple and likely to see the best progression, I would strongly urge you to download the D8 podcast and listen to iCon speak. See if you can spot the truth from the lies.... ;)

Just your opinion. I find oversized iPod Touch being waste of money. iPhone is nice, I have 3GS but Apple is limiting it way too much. Things like Home screen wallpaper, been 3 years since original iPhone and it took them 3 years to add that. Why would I listen some nonsense crap? I agree Apple products aren't perfect but anti-Apple people just come up with the most ridiculous arguments. I find iPad being overpriced piece of plastic while you find Macs being that, you see? ;)

Customer Service - don't get me started on that, Apple UK are appalling.!

Apple is on the top in most researches, that should mean something. I've heard horror cases of UK though, sucks that it doesn't seem to apply to every country :(

Power efficiency - maybe, but we are talking small amounts.

No, we are not. Mini has what, 65W PSU while a normal tower with discrete GPU is easily hitting 150W. Of course you can invest on as power efficient components as possible but they cost more. If you get one with mobile components, you're hitting Mini's price tag. I think this is important in HTPC because in the long run, a PC could cost more

Windows is still windows? Well its not really, again you are falling for Apple marketing, which like most companies is actually lies! Win 7 is a great OS..

I didn't say it's bad OS but it's still Windows with its pros and cons. I use it daily but I find OS X better. Again, an opinion, there is no facts which is better, someone likes chocolate while someone liked licorice. It's a huge step from Vista though

Just a one guy with his opinions.

I use linux, win and osx on a regular basis and therefore feel my position is one of knowledge not ignorance, and that my POV can help people.

I'm only attacking on your attitude and that you don't always provide enough backup to justify your statement. For example, in one thread you said Windows Media Center is the best, but why? I hate people who cannot provide any proofs.

This isn't a really fruitful discussion so we better bury it. I'm only asking you to provide little more why you think something is better. For example, Mini vs custom tower ain't very fair comparison because they are targeted to different people. Mini is great out-of-the-box HTPC and that's what most of the people are looking for. If performance is the only thing you care about, you shouldn't even consider Mac. Yes, you get more if you build your own but not all wants to do that nor notices the difference.

We shall end this now before this gets too personal ;) You have some valid points, I admit that. I had hangover yesterday so was little tight, no offense meant :) You just may be in a wrong forum to recommend Windows because here are A LOT Apple fanboys who can't see anything but 

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Does anyone know if the new Mini has any issues with displaying Hulu fullscreen on a decent sized tv (~50") ove HDMI? We get alot of our programming from Hulu.

I am using Hulu on my 40" plasma with my new mac mini server edition over hdmi and it looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.