Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Guy`s

I am setting up a new Mac Mini , well 2014 , and I did find Adobe`s website for there Acrobat for Mac OS - 10.12 >

Link :

https://get.adobe.com/reader/?source=1432

It will download just fine , however I fails to install.

Now under Sys. requirements it states a resolution of 1024 X 768 , that would be great , but Sierra 10.12.3 does not allow for that res. stretched ( my MM is hooked up to me tv , my 2010 was set at 1024 X 768 stretched and I had no issues viewing content. )

The closest I can get a 16 X 9 res. is 1344 X 756 @ 60Hz. , which seems to be working out fine , and yes I did the " hold option key" , that is how I was able to get the res I have.

My question , why does the res matter and what would happen to the Adobe reader if I changed my res to 1024 X 768 ( cropped ) , then changed it back again ?

Many thanks for your replies , I now you will help if you can.

Take care ,

Gary. 

PS:

Anyone else thing the new Disc Utility is messed up ?
I have several USB flash drives and MC`s that I had to use my MBPr to format because the new utility did { does } not recognize the drives , but after I used my MBPr then they are shown on my MM.

O__ the one I choose was the i5 0 2.6 GHz / 8 GB Ram / 256 SSD , my thoughts :

Graphics are not what they could be but under my normal use they are fine , I can tell that one would be hard pressed to play any real games on this machine , and without a dedicated GPU , I can see the i7 fairing much better.

OK__ later :)

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi bcave098 ,

Well thats about it , the app will download , the process will start / I agree to the terms / states location / then starts to install then I get a window that pops up stating " installation failed".

The same thing happened when I tried to install Fender Fuse 2.7.1 , I could download the app , it would start to install , then fail. I called Fender , they said it`s a known issue and our engineers are working on a fix , they referred me to Apple , so I called Apple about the Fuse issue , they were aware of the incompatibility with Sierra and said to just wait for an update from Fender. Fuse 3.0 is out there , but it is just a beta that won`t download , I would not do beta anyway.

Getting back to Adobe , they wanted to charge for there Acrobat DC , then I found that link. If I have to use preview I will , but if there is a way to get a .pdf reader without shelling out some cash , then I would be fine with that !! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply , take care, :)

Gary. 

PS:

I could port me Acrobat from my MBPr , but it keeps asking for an update that won`t update because the app is out of date for Sierra and brings me to the pay for page.

Later :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You seem to want Acrobat, but your link is for Acrobat Reader, which is not the same product.
Acrobat Reader is, and always has been free.
Acrobat Pro DC is not the same product, and not free. If you need Acrobat, then you have to purchase it.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi ,
I was unaware of that , all I really need is a .pdf reader that will allow me to write on it.

IE ) Filling out a form , that sort of thing , I was able to do that with the old free reader.

Still , I can download , but not install , I have yet to call Apple and see what they say , I still have boy 45 days of phone support ( still thinking about AppleCare ).

I am not sure about Sierra , personally I would like to see OS 9 !! LOL :D

Take care , thanks for your reply :)

Later,

Gary. 

PS:

iStat Pro can be ported to Sierra , if you have 4.92 , that is a great widget !!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can do simple editing with Acrobat Reader, and I am not sure why you would be having a problem with installing that. (Not really Apple's problem, eh?)
Acrobat Pro gets a little pricey for what you get.
You could try out PDFpen, or even PDFpenPro, both have free trials that you can download.

Have you tried the built-in Preview on your Mac? it does have some, admittedly-limited PDF editing/markup capabilities - which may not be everything you need. But, you may find out that it includes enough features to do what you want.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply , I don`t know why it won`t install either.
All my permissions are correct , I am the only user and don`t need a password to login , so it should just install/
Thanks for the info about the alternatives m but rather than pay I would just make use of Preview.

The Apple App Store has a pdf reader for like 60 bucks :eek: , I don`t need one that bad LOL !! :)

Take care , later :D

Gary. 
[doublepost=1485452384][/doublepost]Hi CoastalOR ,

I did not see your link until after I posted m but that is the one I saw in Apple`s App Store , looks like a fine app , but all I really need mostly is to "save as .pdf" from text edit , so I can use my libraries printer.

Later :)

Gary. 

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Guy`s ,

Still trying to get Adobe Reader installed ...

An update , I am hopping you guy`s are still with me on this one !! :)

Yesterday 4+ hours on the phone with Apple top level support , they were able to download and install.
We tried almost every thing , the agent was even willing to send me a spare HDD to use to back up my SSD , I told him I did not have an external HDD , but did have a 32GB flash drive , well he got it to work , but slooowwww. too slow after about 30 min. it still said 3 + hours and this was already into our 3rd hour.

Anyway , he was going to be away and is supposed to reach out next week.

In the mean time ( not much in the way of sleep ) , I continued my research and found luck had been found for some using the "root" enabler.

I could not find it anywhere and when I went to type it in under sever account directions it was already taken , so without look to the "edit" , I went to bed.

Ran errands , cooked , more work , then back at it with Apple and this time was directed to the edit tab where , guess what I found "root" , so we enabled root , I logged out root logged in downloaded the package , and it still would not load.

There has to be a bad kernal in the matrix somewhere deep , that only a clean install ( nuke & pave ) would have any chance of working , that brings me back to you guy`s.

Do you think it would load with a fresh sys-folder ?

Were does this op-sys keep my key chains or should a just drag and drop my whole Safari folder ?

Will my iTunes ( all 68 albums , some multi disc ) with now no drive just be able to drop in my home folder and trash the new one ?

Now , I think I now what you are going to say , get your but to BB and buy a cheap 500BG HDD and run Time Capsule , yes I could do that , I could also be bring back some of the very same nasties that are there now , that the main reason I have never used Time Capsule and have been more old school and choose to keep all important stat off drive using flash to MC.

OK so you spent a better part of your fine evening reading this , any thoughts !! :D

And once again as always , many thanks , and I value all opinions , we got some smart cookies around hear ( I hope they read this !! LOL )

Later , :D

Gary. 

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.