Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you usually import pictures from camera (excluding iPhone) ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
It came to my attention that the new 2018 Mac mini does not have a SD card slot, even it does not have a concerns of thickness controlling like Macbooks. I'm surprised that everyone was so cool about it. No complaining what's so ever.

Is everyone past the stage of using SD card? Up till now importing from SD card is still the most convenient way for me. Luckily I still have an external card reader.

Setting up a poll here to see how does everyone one import pictures from camera (Excluding iPhone).

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
You're still using SD cards? Use a USB cable from the camera. Done. We always do it direct from the camera.

Yeah, my mom does it this way as it was the easiest way for her. I prefer to use a fast card reader and I have multiple SD cards that I shoot RAW on so it's much more efficient w/ a separate reader.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Yeah, my mom does it this way as it was the easiest way for her. I prefer to use a fast card reader and I have multiple SD cards that I shoot RAW on so it's much more efficient w/ a separate reader.

Yeah we shoot raw as well on several SD cards. Still use the camera and USB cable to transfer. Works well.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I would import pictures into a new mini the same way I import them into my my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro. I plug in a Sandisk CF card reader.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I need Thunderbolt/USB ports a lot more than I need an SD card slot. Secure Digital cards are not exactly a universal standard and never have been. Here is what I currently use for photo and video capture and the options for each to get the data to my computer:

Leica digital camera: USB cable or SD card reader to USB
Sony digital camera: wireless or USB cable or SD card reader to USB
iPhone 8 camera: wireless or USB cable
Sound Devices PIX E5H external video monitor & 4K video recorder: SSD thumb drive to USB or USB cable
Sound Devices 702T audio recorder: Compact Flash card reader to USB or Thunderbolt 3 cable or FireWire cable
Sound Devices MixPre audio mixer/recorder: USB cable or SD card reader to USB
Sound Devices USBPre 2 audio recorder: USB cable

The above isn’t even exhaustive of the possibilities in photography and video production.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah we shoot raw as well on several SD cards. Still use the camera and USB cable to transfer. Works well.

It's so much slower though. And I use multiple cards so no point putting it back in the camera just for that. But to each their own and one should do what's best for their needs/uses.

Reactions: someoldguy

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
It's so much slower though. And I use multiple cards so no point putting it back in the camera just for that. But to each their own and one should do what's best for their needs/uses.

It shouldn't be. Perhaps it depends on the camera? Ours is a Sony a7rii.
Multiple cards are being added and removed from the camera or card reader, same diff either way.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I transfer photos by WiFi to the iPad and with a USB cable from the camera to the MBP. The MacBook has a slot but I use that for storage expansion.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
All my pro cameras are CF or CFast, so I use a USB-c breakout box. Though since this is less of a pro machine, they perhaps should have kept the SD reader. I guess the way to go if you don't have a super fast reader is to connect via ethernet(if on your camera) or USB.

Reactions: George Dawes

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
It shouldn't be. Perhaps it depends on the camera? Ours is a Sony arii.
Multiple cards are being added and removed from the camera or card reader, same diff either way.

If it works for you then great.

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Camera storage is quite volatile at the moment. The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera uses CFast as well as SD, and Zeiss has just announced a new camera that will have an internal SSD drive. External recorders for video, like the new 5" Atomos, use SSD thumb drives. And there's a clear move to transmitting files via WiFi.

Dropping the SD card slot just reflects the fact that at this point camera storage and file transmission are all over the place. It's interesting that the original poster excluded smartphones from his question. Why? They appear to have become far and away the most common camera in actual use.

Last edited:

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I either connect my camera to my Mbp or I use an external USB card reader. My old iMacs never had a SD slot. Not having a SD card slot on my current Mbp or my future Mac Mini isn't a concern for me at all.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I have an integral sd card slot in my iMac 27 , it stopped working ages ago

I use a dongle now and am happy to report the similar works on the mini

That’s one of the things that put me off the studio tbh , the front mounted sd that’ll probably pack up like my iMac ..

Reactions: mouthster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.