Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer24K

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Does anyone know if the new Mini supports the new HDMI 1.4 standard? I can't seem to find anything in the tech specs to verify...

thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is the ethernet support not a new feature? I could be showing my ignorance here of the prior standard, but i assumed that was a pretty big step forward. My apologies if that's an old feature I was never aware of...

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

Yeah, it's a new feature but I have no idea how that works in real life. Biggest benefit seems to be if you have TV with HDMI 1.4 and LAN, you can hook HDMI 1.4 devices to it and they need no extra cable

hec_before_400-2.jpg

hec_after_400.jpg

Blazer24K

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just got this from a chat with an Apple representative, so I guess it's confirmed! Thanks all for the help! Feel free to post any thoughts on applications of the new standard in real life.

* You are chatting with Salam H, an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Salam H. Welcome to Apple!
Salam H: Good morning.
Salam H: How may I assist you today?
You: Hi! I see that the newly released Mac Mini now has an HDMI output. Do you know if this supports the new HDMI 1.4 standard?
Salam H: I'm happy to assist with that.
Salam H: One moment while I research that for you.
Salam H: It is compatible with that.
Salam H: Are you interested in purchasing a Mac mini today?
You: Not at the moment, but that's great news. It will help my decision in the future. Thanks so much for the help!
Salam H: You're most welcome!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
He said it was compatible with that, not that it can output HDMI 1.4. In other words, it it is outputting HDMI 1.3a, it could connect with a television that has HDMI 1.4.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just got this from a chat with an Apple representative, so I guess it's confirmed! Thanks all for the help! Feel free to post any thoughts on applications of the new standard in real life.

* You are chatting with Salam H, an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Salam H. Welcome to Apple!
Salam H: Good morning.
Salam H: How may I assist you today?
You: Hi! I see that the newly released Mac Mini now has an HDMI output. Do you know if this supports the new HDMI 1.4 standard?
Salam H: I'm happy to assist with that.
Salam H: One moment while I research that for you.
Salam H: It is compatible with that.
Salam H: Are you interested in purchasing a Mac mini today?
You: Not at the moment, but that's great news. It will help my decision in the future. Thanks so much for the help!
Salam H: You're most welcome!

That's good news. Only thing I'm still suspicious is does the Mini have HDMI port which supports it as 1.4 is backwards compatible with 1.3 etc. because he says it's compatible with it but doesn't actually say it's 1.4 port. I guess we'll find out soon and it would be silly to use old 1.3 as 1.4 has been out for over a year now.

Keep in mind that your other devices must have HDMI 1.4 too, otherwise Ethernet support for example does not work. It doesn't seem to be that useful, for me at least. Nice feature though, all extra is appreciated :)

Blazer24K

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
well crud... then my question hasn't been answered at all. By that note, everything is "compatible" with 1.4 cables because the cables themselves are backwards-compatible, right?

So I guess my question should have been: Does the new Mini output HDMI 1.4?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
well crud... then my question hasn't been answered at all. By that note, everything is "compatible" with 1.4 cables because the cables themselves are backwards-compatible, right?

That's the question to ask. Sure, my TV is HDMI 1.4 compatible, but it doesn't support the HDMI 1.4 standard. ;)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Yeah, 1.4 is backwards compatible like all versions of HDMI are, the extra features will just be ignored.

Contact again and ask does it have HDMI 1.4 port ;)

Blazer24K

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
ok.. so the last chat took a while. Customer service seemed a bit confused since it was such a new product, but it has been confirmed. See below:

* You are chatting with Gabriel R, an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Gabriel R. Welcome to Apple!
Gabriel R: Good afternoon!
Gabriel R: How may I assist you today?
You: Hi! I see that the newly released Mac Mini now has an HDMI output. Do you know if this supports the new HDMI 1.4 standard? I understand it's compatible with the new cables, but I'd like to know if it actually outputs HDMI 1.4 directly from the Mini. This would allow for an ethernet link directly through the HDMI port without the need for additional cables.
Gabriel R: I'm happy to assist with that.
Gabriel R: One moment while I research that for you.
Gabriel R: It has a HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution.
You: Correct, but does it ouput the 1.4 standard?
Gabriel R: It has the normal HDMI port.
You: ok then, thanks for the help. I'll have to put off my purchase then until it can support the latest standards. Thanks so much for the help.
Gabriel R: Click here for the Mac mini specifications!
Gabriel R: Let me know if that link works for you.
Gabriel R: One moment while I research that for you.
Gabriel R: I will find out right now those details. That is a wonderful question. Please hold one moment to check on that for you.
You: thanks
Gabriel R: You're welcome.
Gabriel R: While I get that information for you I want to recommend AppleCare, it is a uniquely integrated service and support solution that extends the one year complimentary coverage on your Mac to three years from the computer's purchase date. The plan covers the computer and any pre-installed software.
Gabriel R: We do not have the answer as of yet to that wonderful question since the Mac mini just came out but we are working to find that out since it has been asked several times already.
Gabriel R: All we know it has a new HDMI output but for the specific details we would need to wait to get that answered since it just came out we do not have all the full documentation on it.
Gabriel R: But let me check one minute here to check I might have this for you.
You: ok
Gabriel R: Thank you.
Gabriel R: Wonderful! I just received the confirmation and its a yes on the 1.4 HDMI.
Gabriel R: Would you like me to help you place the order online? I can stay online with you and leave this chat open while you place the order, in case you have any questions.Once you place the order, you can type in your order number here so I can verify your order went through fine.
You: Great news, but just to be clear, the Mini actually outputs 1.4?
Gabriel R: Yes correct!
Gabriel R: I do thank you for your patience for letting me get this for you.
You: Excellent, thanks again for your help!! I'll probably purchase the Mini in-store, but I really appreciate all your help. Have a great day!
Gabriel R: You're welcome.

Note that the rep was much more eager to help once a sale was imminent... :cool:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Now, we can only hope the rep knew what he was talking about. They are notorious for being on the clueless end of the spectrum.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
My old 2007 Mac mini is SATA II compliant and supports some SATA II commands, but it only runs at SATA I speeds.

miniDisplayPort supports sound, but until recently Apple didn't support sound via mDP.

So if you want some specific feature, you need to ask about that.

apbsignal

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
It's important to note that the Ethernet channel as well as an audio-return channel are optional features of HDMI 1.4. Manufacturers are not required to implement them in HDMI 1.4 products.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's important to note that the Ethernet channel as well as an audio-return channel are optional features of HDMI 1.4. Manufacturers are not required to implement them in HDMI 1.4 products.

How? If it's HDMI 1.4, then it supports those features, otherwise it isn't. OS X may not support those features but that's another issue. If the port itself is 1.4, then it supports those, otherwise it's 1.3.

apbsignal

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
If it's HDMI 1.4, then it supports those features, otherwise it isn't. OS X may not support those features but that's another issue. If the port itself is 1.4, then it supports those, otherwise it's 1.3.

No. The features are options parts of the HDMI 1.4 spec.

See the FAQs
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#3

Are manufacturers required to implement all of the new HDMI 1.4 features?

No. HDMI technology is designed to enable a wide variety of manufacturers in different markets to implement the feature sets that work best for their customers.

How will I know which HDMI 1.4 features are implemented in a device?

Shop for the specific features that interest you, rather than shopping for an HDMI version number and assuming that a certain feature is supported. Since many of the capabilities detailed in the HDMI 1.4 specification are optional implementations, it’s the responsibility of the manufacturer to tell you what features are supported in any given device.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
No. The features are options parts of the HDMI 1.4 spec.

See the FAQs
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#3

Are manufacturers required to implement all of the new HDMI 1.4 features?

No. HDMI technology is designed to enable a wide variety of manufacturers in different markets to implement the feature sets that work best for their customers.

How will I know which HDMI 1.4 features are implemented in a device?

Shop for the specific features that interest you, rather than shopping for an HDMI version number and assuming that a certain feature is supported. Since many of the capabilities detailed in the HDMI 1.4 specification are optional implementations, it’s the responsibility of the manufacturer to tell you what features are supported in any given device.

Hmmm, must be then! Anyway, those additional features are pretty useless for Mini so it's not a huge loss if they are not included

tron1971

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
I thought the Mac Mini ver. 2010 is only HDMI v1.3, the reason is that if you go to Apple's website and look at the tech specs. The highest resolution HDMI port is up to 1920 x 1200. Isn't HDMI 1.4 able to support resolutions up to 4096×2160?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I thought the Mac Mini ver. 2010 is only HDMI v1.3, the reason is that if you go to Apple's website and look at the tech specs. The highest resolution HDMI port is up to 1920 x 1200. Isn't HDMI 1.4 able to support resolutions up to 4096×2160?

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple has limited it via firmware. I guess we'll find out soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.