Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Last week I bought a Mac Mini M2 Pro, and so far I'm loving it. I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1. The Mac keeps going to sleep, and the Energy Saver panel in Sonoma seems to have less options than I have on older Macs like Computer Sleep and Display Sleep.How can I keep the machine on unless I tell it to sleep?

My other question is about external storage - what are good options? Should I just get a Samsung T7 or similar? I'm a bit confused about the firewire/usb-c/usb-a ports on the machine.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Thanks - use case is I'm a photographer & CGI artist who needs fast storage for working files, textures etc etc.

I meant to say Thunderbolt not Firewire!

Thanks for the Caffeinate tip - have installed.

Last edited:

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Been on you tube and buying an enclosure and nvme drive seems to be the way to go, speeds up to 3000mbps. I'm slightly concerned about the drive getting too hot - is that an issue?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Heat can be an issue with high speed nvme drives. Mostly due to the enclosures, I think.

What happens is that if the drive gets too hot (heavy extended writes), then the enclosure (or drive) will "throttle back", reducing speed to compensate and reduce heat.

Thus, a "very fast" drive will slow down when overheating, sometimes by a drastic amount.

My suggestion would be to try either a Samsung t7 (or t9), or a Crucial X-9 first.
Both are USB3.1 gen2 drives that will give reads in the 850-925MBps range.
Not "thunderbolt speeds", but still quite fast and respectable.

If you try one and it's still "not enough", re-purpose it to backing up, etc.

Reactions: leifp

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Check out the new OWC Express 1M2 enclosures. Hard to find any for sale, but look like something for serious cooling. I put a WD Black 4T SN 850X in mine and have over 3,000 read and write with it.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
That looks good - but I feel I read a poor review of a OWC nvme solution somewhere, was that a different product?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Last week I bought a Mac Mini M2 Pro, and so far I'm loving it. I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1. The Mac keeps going to sleep, and the Energy Saver panel in Sonoma seems to have less options than I have on older Macs like Computer Sleep and Display Sleep.How can I keep the machine on unless I tell it to sleep?

My other question is about external storage - what are good options? Should I just get a Samsung T7 or similar? I'm a bit confused about the firewire/usb-c/usb-a ports on the machine.
one more thing, let's say you have 512 GB internal and 2TB external storage. Then you might want 4TB external storage for Time machine. But the desk gets cluttered with cables and Time machine does not need to be fast.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
That looks good - but I feel I read a poor review of a OWC nvme solution somewhere, was that a different product?
I have read some poor reviews on their hubs & docks (mainly poor connections to them), but only good on this newest OWC Express thunderbolt 4 enclosure. Several reviews on YouTube all seem positive. Mine is fantastic especially coming from USB 3 backups. I almost bought the Satechi thunderbolt 4 enclosure, but loved the design of the Express 1m2 better. My speeds are 3,100 something on read and write.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012

I also just purchased a M2 Pro Mini. I'm running 14.4.1 also with no problems having the Mini going to sleep on it's own. I do find that sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get the Mini to sleep.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
kenny1wk - you're right it was a dock I read about. Going to try and and get the express 1m2

Reactions: kenny1wk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.