Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I know the Core i7 has much higher benchmarks than the C2D but I am wondering if the improved GPU on the New Mini helps make up for this in other areas like gaming?

I've been lurking for a long time and want to pull the trigger on a new Mac very soon. I'm torn between liking the iMac form factor and whether or not I could get by with the Mini. I already have a nice 24" 1900x1600 display that would compliment the Mini very well. But I really like the iMac 27 and how everything is integrated.

Just trying to determine how the two compare performance wise. Thanks!!!

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
I've had my i7 iMac since Dec and can honestly say it blows away any other mac on the market exception of course the higher end Mac Pros.

I have upgraded the HDD to an Intel X25-M and screams, boot up is around 15seconds from cold boot. I have done a bit of HD video encoding and it's great in that arena as well.

As for the MacMini, I picked up a 2010 server a few days ago. Picked the server version over the regular due to the fact it comes with the 2.66 proc, 4gb ram and most importantly, the 2 500gb SATA drives. At the moment I didn't want to spend $$$ on SSDs for this one, so the RAID would be ideal.

currently I have my Mini Server running client OSX on RAID0 as a HTPC, but does get a TAD warm.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
i7: I have upgraded the HDD to an Intel X25-M and screams said:
Does that iMac have more than one sata port for hard drives? I'd love to install two of the Intel X25-M SSD's in a raid0 config for 160 gig.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
yes, if you remove the superdrive, there is a casing to install a 2.5" hdd in place of the superdrive.

Well that iMac may be just the ticket instead of a new MacPro. Got one Pro now. I like the 27 in iMac with the i7's. Looks like all I need instead of $4k or more on a new Mac Pro. My new mini ships tomorrow. That and an i7 iMac and I think we have it covered. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.