Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

embeddedbill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Calgary
I just bought a MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz) and bought a copy of Civilization IV as well.

I installed the game, I even read the instructions crazy that! Typically of a Mac installation instructions are as simple as drag to the location you want to run from.

Well the game does not run, I get the following xml errors:
Failed Loading XML file Assets //XML\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml
LoadXML call failed for GameInfo/CIV4Player/OptionInfos.xml Current XML file is:

When I attempted to install the 1.74 patch (both before and after attempting to run the program for the first time) the patch installer fails, it tells me that the game is not installed correctly.

I thought this platform was just supposed to work?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Sean

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I was going to suggest just to try a reinstall. Looks to me as though the files didn´t copy over right perhaps.
Good luck.

embeddedbill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Calgary
Thanks for the quick replies - but I have already been there

Thanks Eidorian and Killerrobot for the quick references, I have already checked out the linked thread from Eidorian, and reinstalled (following instructions supplied on installation disk readme) to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Sean

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Just to verify:
Can you play it before you try to install the patch?
Here´s a link to the v 1.61 patch. That´s what I´m on and it works-it randomly crashes here and there, but you can play.
If neither of those work then it seems like it is a problem with the Nvidia graphics card and don´t know what else to tell you.

embeddedbill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Calgary
*appology* - Newbie Can't Read!

The installation instructions required me to copy the civilization folder, I copied the file! Now I'm feeling like a dork! My first new games since Starcraft almost a decade ago, and I'm feelin like a fool! When I follow the instructions *properly* it works just fine!

To think I have been working as a software engineer, and software manager for almost 15 years - this is kind of embarrassing!

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards,

Sean

(in response to my original comment, yeah, it just works!)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The installation instructions required me to copy the civilization folder, I copied the file! Now I'm feeling like a dork! My first new games since Starcraft almost a decade ago, and I'm feelin like a fool! When I follow the instructions *properly* it works just fine!

To think I have been working as a software engineer, and software manager for almost 15 years - this is kind of embarrassing!

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards,

Sean

(in response to my original comment, yeah, it just works!)
Ouch!

Yeah the required assets are probably in another folder at the same level as the application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.