Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cranberrypoopy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Hi everyone.

I just purchased a mint condition Mac Pro 6.1. I have looked at countless of videos and read every thread in this forum and can't find an answer. So I'm going to ask here....

I am looking to upgrade the measly 256gb ssd on this computer to a 2TB....I keep going back to OWC's site... does their SSD need one of those Sintech adapters? They are pricey.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I purchased this adapter from Amazon:

I purchased an Intel 660p 2TB SSD from Micro Center:

These are both working great in my Mac Pro Trashcan. Highly recommended upgrade at a great price point. The Intel 660p has increased in price since I purchased mine (at $199) but it's still a great value under $250 and comes with an excellent 5yr warranty from Intel. If you don't have a Micro Center store nearby then I'd recommend NewEgg or B&H Photo as alternatives for the 660p.

Last edited:

cranberrypoopy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
I purchased this adapter from Amazon:

I purchased an Intel 660p 2TB SSD from Micro Center:

These are both working great in my Mac Pro Trashcan. Highly recommended upgrade at a great price point. The Intel 660p has increased in price since I purchased mine (at $199) but it's still a great value under $250 and comes with an excellent 5yr warranty from Intel. If you don't have a Micro Center store nearby then I'd recommend NewEgg or B&H Photo as alternatives for the 660p.

Thanks for that info. I do have a Micro Center on my route to work. I’ll try this method out. Is the adapter wobbly or too tight or anything funky? I’ve read about some glitches with the adapter but mostly with laptops.

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Use this thread as reference.

cranberrypoopy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Use this thread as reference.

Thanks. I read that whole article but it doesn’t answer those questions.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Are there any issues with this, like bootROMs not being updated any more like with other adapters?

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
I had that Amazon adapter for my 6,1 and it was rock solid and still works today from when I bought it in 2018. Do not get rid of your original SSD per the above poster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.