Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Just release a space grey cheese grater style box with current hardware specs.....

I would like that, although I would expect it to be smaller. NVMe SSD slots instead of 3.5" HDD bays for example.

However, the cheese grater disappeared due to regulations around fan guards. It should have been simple to fix such issues, but Apple decided not to. It makes me think they wanted an alternative approach, and may not return. Although there may be something will less access, but that probably means proprietary components, especially for graphics cards that need cooling.

My thought is maybe standard SSD and RAM ports via one door. Special Graphics cards that are designed around the airflow of a chamber via another door.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
the reason we havent seen anything yet is Apple can't reconcile what we want with what Jony Ive thinks we want.

I think it's because the Mac Pro is a low priority at Apple.

Even if it sells for what we consider is a high price, it will most likely earn Apple very little money compared to their other products.

At what point do we give up on the Mac Pro ?

TobiasT

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2019
No Pixar, no party (new Mac Pro).

In addition, current mac pro is much more an apple product (small, silent and less-upgradable) than previous mac pros.

Reactions: loby

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
This fabled new Mac Pro is not coming out anytime soon despite the few mentions of it over the last two years (yet it's always coming "next year"), Apple doesn't care for the pro market as long as it can convince folks to buy higher-end consumer stuff with the Pro label slapped on it (and a price to match).

The iMac Pro is as close as it gets nowadays, despite it's non-workstation GPU options and terrible AIO form factor.

Reactions: snek

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
The days of plugging cards into towers (or trash cans) is pretty much on it's last legs. We'll have to wait and see what comes next.

Well, we can of course buy boxes from people who plug cards into them, and then attach those boxes to our computers with cables .
Twice the price and twice the hassle, such is progress .

Or just get one of those towers everyone else is selling, and by new tech when it's good and ready or simply exists .

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So, I’ve been watching the renders of the new Mac Pro, and they have me a little worried. All of them seem to revolve around a device like a Mac Mini with modules that can be added for upgrades. To me, those designs would mean that Apple HASN’T listened to its customers. I thought what we were looking for, was INTERNAL expandability. Am I mistaken? Why would it take Apple so long to give us a machine with internal expansion? Have there been rumors\hints\leaks of internal expansion?

ANY render you’ve seen thus far is total, complete, 100%, utterly made up, not one has any idea based on anything about the new Mac Pro bar it’s said to be modular, not one of these renders is based in any leak about the new machine.
So you can safely ignore every single render you’ve seen so far.

Reactions: snek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.