Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hello

I'm new to the forum and new to the Mac world, left old windows this Christmas after a 12 year love hate realtionship (it just wasn't working out) and entered the mac world. Took delivery of my new Mac pro (base model). It is great, but for the first week she was silent,, now I can gear the hard drive, is that normal? (Standard hard drive read/write sounds). Peace of mind would be appreciated. Wouldn't ask if she hadn't been so quiet at the start!

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Hello

I'm new to the forum and new to the Mac world, left old windows this Christmas after a 12 year love hate realtionship (it just wasn't working out) and entered the mac world. Took delivery of my new Mac pro (base model). It is great, but for the first week she was silent,, now I can gear the hard drive, is that normal? (Standard hard drive read/write sounds). Peace of mind would be appreciated. Wouldn't ask if she hadn't been so quiet at the start!

The true sign of a quiet computer is if you can hear the hard drives. Perfectly normal my friend. Good luck with the new purchase and congrats!

DCH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess it seems obvious on refelction!:)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Yes its normal to hear the drives. Most people not used to a system quite enough to actually hear the drives. Like a friend of mine has a PC that is very very noisy he came to my house and heard the hard drives and was like wow i never though those drives made that kind of noise! One of the drives in there was one he had in his system two days before.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
So really, the Mac Pro is quiet as heck! on my peecee desktops, I can't even hear myself think over it sometimes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.