Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you were limited on money, which Mac would you buy for development?

• Mac Mini I3

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Mac Mini I5

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Macbook Air (2018) lowest spec

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

f15radar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
I currently have a 2010 Macbook Pro that's been upgraded with a 1 TB SSD. It has worked perfectly for development, however, with IOS 13 and Swift UI, I am going to need a new machine. I don't have much money and I don't need my machine mobile. I was considering a Mac Mini I3. As much as I hate spending more money that I really don't have, the I5 might be better and also has an additional TB of SSD space. So here is my question, since my MBP has been fine for me, would the I3 work for me or do I really need to spend the extra money and get the I5? Thanks in advance.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Any current generation machine should be a big upgrade from your 2010 MPB. I think if cost is the most important thing for you then the base Mini or even looking at a previous generation MBP/iMac could give you a nice bang for your buck. You could even consider looking at Apple's certified refurbished selection to see if something there fits the bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.