Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm buying a Mac mini as soon as Tiger is released and I need a little help with setting up the printer.

My current laser printer/fax is a Samsung SF-531P and is connected to my windows machine in the office.

The Mac Mini will be connected wirelessly to the network and I would like it to be able to print to Samsung connected to my windows machine.

I can not seem to find any mac drivers for this specific printer and would apprecite any help on any compatible drivers as well as how to set up the printer from the mac.

Thank you.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
From what I see, the Samsung SCX-4116 will work, and has Mac 10.x drivers available at their site. I'd try it first, although it doesn't specifically say 10.4.

Once you have the driver, you can connect to Windows shared printers through the Printer Setup Utility and add the appropriate driver.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
emw said:
From what I see, the Samsung SCX-4116 will work, and has Mac 10.x drivers available at their site. I'd try it first, although it doesn't specifically say 10.4.

Once you have the driver, you can connect to Windows shared printers through the Printer Setup Utility and add the appropriate driver.

Will the SCX-4116 driver be compatible with the SF-531P?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
kkapoor said:
Will the SCX-4116 driver be compatible with the SF-531P?
They seem like very similar devices, so probably, especially just for printing. Heck, you could probably use a generic HP printer driver. The differences may be in complex scanning/faxing stuff, but you're not going to be utilizing that part from the Mac, it doesn't sound like.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
emw said:
They seem like very similar devices, so probably, especially just for printing. Heck, you could probably use a generic HP printer driver. The differences may be in complex scanning/faxing stuff, but you're not going to be utilizing that part from the Mac, it doesn't sound like.

Yeah I am just going to be using it for printing. I'll try it out when my mini gets here an let you know. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.